• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

[HELP] PC locking up completely at random during games

Caporegime
OP
btw I have noticed since enabling the XMP profile that my CPU core temps have increased, originally they were around 35 but now sit around the 45 mark (idle) :confused: Is that normal?

Caporegime
OP
Hmm, not sure, will need to check the bclk with XMP on and off, is there anyway of finding this out in windows rather than the BIOS?

XMP disabled:

nt4OHh.jpg

XMP enabled:

lYJAah.jpg

qpi voltage went from 1.1V to 1.2V

EDIT:

Yup, bus clock speed went from 133MHz to 160MHz

EDIT:

A bit of topic from the issue I am having but..........how much performance gain will I get from this XMP being enabled as it also ups the CPU a bit? We only talking about a few FPS in games, would it help minimum FPS? Trying to decide if it is worth it for the 10 degree increase in temps :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
youll gain some performance with any overclocking,it raises the bclk so it can use 1600mhz memory speed,as you adjust the bclk it also raises the memory speed

you can do it all manually if you want

with sandy/ivy the bclk stays at 100mhz and the cpu multiplier goes much higher,on older p55 you can raise the bclk aswell this is why its harder to get the memory stable as your overclocking through the bclk more

Caporegime
OP
I have just disabled the XMP profile as I was actually getting too hot from the heat being put out :o :p and the increase in the CPU fan cooler noise (gelid tranquillo with gelid fan) was noticeable, a quiet system is a must for me (PC case is literally right next to me on my desk and is left on over night a fair bit), now my temps are around the 30 degree mark (idle), it is actually a 15 degree difference :eek:

Will enable XMP again, when/if I get a new/better CPU cooler or/and a better case.

So, will have to test the games out again, this time with just the "performance enhance" mode set to "standard" and if it still happens, do I just set the qpi/vtt voltage shown here to 1.32V, despite the memory running at 1.5V and 1333MHz again as opposed to 1.65V and 1600MHz?

Caporegime
How much CPU voltage is being used for stock clocks? Remember auto will tend to use more and it will raise it if you raise the bclk,if you set CPU v to normal you can add extra or undervolt the CPU in dvid,I do this with my I3 540,I undervolt it to 1v

Then you can run the ram at 1600mhz and 1.32qpi,qpi doesn't heat up temps like CPU v does,I'm guessing xmp is making you use more CPU v due to higher bclk

Caporegime
OP
All CPU info. at stock clocks/XMP disabled below, so more or less, it is using 1V.

OWDl2.png

EDIT:

And bios photo with stock:

Z9e1Vh.jpg

If the problem isn't fixed, I will do as you said in your last post there.

Caporegime
CPU-z doesn't show idle clocks sometimes,if you stress the CPU you'll see CPU voltage in CPU-z shoot up,you can just set CPU v to normal rather than auto and see if it uses less,if not you can reduce it further in dvid maybe -0.0100v

Caporegime
I don't want you to drift off coarse though,first try and fix this game freezing/lock ups,from what your describing it points to memory imo mainly qpi/vtt,once you crack that then you can think about improving voltages and lowering CPU temps,stock or overclocked you can improve over what auto sets

If CPU v is 1.104v you can try CPU voltage on normal and dvid at -0.0100v this would make your load CPU v 1.004v at load

Caporegime
OP
Don't worry, fixing the lock up issue is still my main priority :)

Just had a couple of hours gaming session on FC 3 and no lock up so far.......... *touch wood* This is with just the power enhance mode set to standard as opposed to turbo mode.

When/If the lock up issue does happen again then the next thing I will do, is change the qpi/vtt voltage to 1.32V and hopefully that will be it sorted once and for all!

@Gregster

Thanks and indeed! Once again, wazza has been extremely helpful with my problems/questions! It is much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
no problem,i just wanna see you crack it,you can always try to lower qpi later on,and you can certainly improve stock cpu voltage

performance enhance tightens/loosens secondary ram timings so that usually helps and helps you use less qpi voltage aswell

Caporegime
OP
TBH if the issue is solved with the standard preset for performance enhance and/or the qpi voltage change, I might just leave the CPU core voltage etc. for the time being, as long as the temps (including noise levels) and performance is good and most importantly stable, then I am happy with the PC for the time being :), extremely tempted to do all this overclocking, undervolting etc. stuff now though! :p Have learned a lot about it from this thread and messing around in the BIOS etc., previously I didn't have a clue :o

Caporegime
OP
Ok, I will enable the XMP profile again then and in order to stop the temperature of the CPU cores rising by 15 degrees, I adjust the "CPU vCore" in the this area of the BIOS, right?

http://i.imgur.com/NdRaoh.jpg

Just set it to "normal"?

And that is all I have to do in order to have good CPU core temps and the RAM running at 1600MHz and of course the system being stable :p

Caporegime
OP
Ok thanks very much! :) if it is unstable, what will happen? Will the pc just not boot up, crash/lockup more often?

What about the qpi/vtt voltage? Should I just leave it for the time being?

Back
Top Bottom