• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

[HELP] PC locking up completely at random during games

Caporegime
OP
If I clear the cmos to reset the bios settings, will my sata control mode be put back to ide as well? Really don't want to do another reinstall of windows :p

Suppose I could just leave the dvid setting and see how the temps and stability are with just the cpu vcore set to normal and if it isn't good enough then try the dvid setting?

Caporegime
If it resets the BIOS you can just set to ahci again,if it does bootup in IDE it won't hurt anything,you just restart,set to ahci and boot up again

It's Upto you its your pc,just set what your happy with,I'm just saying if it were me that's what id try

Try normal first,remember you want normal to be less than what auto is using otherwise you might aswell stay on auto,whatever gives you the least voltage which will result in lower temps

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Ah ok, just I thought you couldn't go from ide to ahci without reinstalling windows otherwise the drive wouldn't be found thus pc wouldn't boot into windows etc.

Right, later on today, I will try the following and see what the outcome is:

- enable xmp

And

- set cpu vcore to normal

If the temps have increased by 10+ degrees then:

- adjust dvid

Or

If temps have remained the same or decreased then:

- let it be and monitor stability etc.

And take it from there, sound good?

Last edited:
Soldato
Parden my ignorance but given that he never had these issues with his old GPU, why are all these tweaks concentrating on CPU and MEM?

The reason above and often the GFX card adds a tremendous amount of internal case heat which reduces stability for the motherboard/cpu/memory.

It must be about the most common posts "My new GFX card don't work, old one was fine" rma,rma !

Associate
you probably need to use one/two clicks at most,more cpu v or cpu offset

i get a lot of ccc not loading at startup and games would just crash to desktop if i was a touch to low on cpu v with gigabyte z77x up4

its either that or your memory not setup correctly,oh and be sure to use the latest bios

Sorry I missed this and didn't want to hijack the thread. You can't adjust cpu v or offset on my mobo afaik.

Associate
The reason above and often the GFX card adds a tremendous amount of internal case heat which reduces stability for the motherboard/cpu/memory.

It must be about the most common posts "My new GFX card don't work, old one was fine" rma,rma !

Ah ok thanks, now I know :)

Caporegime
OP
Previous GPU was:

HIS 4850 turbo iceQ4 512MB

I enabled the XMP profile and set CPU vcore to the "normal" preset mode this morning, only had about a hour and a bit of gaming on FC 3 and so far still no lock up *touch wood* Hoping that the "turbo" to "standard" preset mode for power enhancement has fixed it.

Core voltage according to CPU-Z is always at 1.024V now as opposed to 0.896V at idle and 1.104V at load (far cry 3 running) when I only enabled XMP and kept Vcore set to "auto"

Temps are lower at idle, around 30-35 degrees for all 4 cores, however, it is quite a bit cooler today and since the core voltage is higher at idle now, I am guessing temps will be a bit higher than what they were last night, which was around 45 degrees, on the plus side, the load temps should be a bit lower though! How much of a temperature drop will there be if I change the dvid to what you suggested wazza?

EDIT:

IGNORE THAT! GOT SCREENSHOTS MIXED UP!

The 0.896V @ idle and 1.104V at load is with XMP disabled and vcore set to auto.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
According to CPU Z;

XMP enabled and vcore set to auto:

Idle - 0.896V
Load (FC 3) - 1.104V

XMP enabled and vcore set to normal:

Idle - 1.024V
Load (FC 3) - 1.024V

EDIT:

IGNORE THAT! GOT SCREENSHOTS MIXED UP!

The 0.896V @ idle and 1.104V at load is with XMP disabled and vcore set to auto.

EDIT:

Thinking of buying a coolermaster megaflow 200mm for the top of my bitfenix raider :p should drops the temps even further (for everything) then and hopefully reduce the noise overall?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Hard to say if there is much performance difference in games etc. but I will try to keep it at this (XMP enabled and CPU Vcore set to normal) for a bit and see how things go with temps. etc. If all is good enough then I might as well keep the OC, probably gain a few FPS or so in games, every little bit helps! :p

Don't you think it is better overall to keep the CPU vcore set to normal instead of auto?

Caporegime
it depends,if overclocking then no(auto) but in your case its not so bad as its only raising the bclk slightly to let you use 1600mhz ram speed

i always use normal and adjust with dvid,that way my cpu downclocks at idle and manual tweaking is more accurate than what auto uses

if you use a fixed cpu voltage the cpu wont dowsnclock itself

so its stable in games now? no more lockups/freezes?

Caporegime
OP
I may try the dvid later on then and see if it is stable. Going to make sure this lockup issue is gone first though.

Since changing from turbo to standard, no lock ups so far.........however, it is very random, could be fine for days but then happen like 5 or so times in one day. Going to play black ops II now as it happened a lot more in that game than far cry 3. So strange the way it randomly happens and only happens in 2 games out of like 5 :confused:

Caporegime
OP
It just happened again there in BO II, this is with:

- xmp enabled
- performance enhance mode set to "standard" instead of "turbo"
- CPU Vcore set to" normal" instead of "auto"

This time when I hit the restart button the noise of the audio went all "crackly"

So now I will change the qpi/vtt voltage to 1.32V in this part of the BIOS?

NdRaoh.jpg

Should I disable XMP, put CPU vcore back to "auto" and put performance enhance mode back to "turbo" or leave them as they currently are?

Back
Top Bottom