• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

[HELP] PC locking up completely at random during games

Caporegime
Wow!!! You use a lot of memory :D

If you are going over the 8GB, it could be that which is causing the issues. Give msconfig a look and knock off a few processes from start up that are hogging resources.

Caporegime
OP
Enabled XMP profile just now and here is the new qpi voltage etc.

lYJAah.jpg

Now I will need to play some far cry 3 etc. to see if it happens again.

Wow!!! You use a lot of memory :D

If you are going over the 8GB, it could be that which is causing the issues. Give msconfig a look and knock off a few processes from start up that are hogging resources.

No idea as to why that much is being used :p, most I have ever seen is at least 5GB and that is with BF 3 running :p i.e. this is my usage now:

vxDxp.png

Had a look there and there isn't much that starts up, just the usual stuff, firewall + AV, peerblock, CCC, unified remote, awaremote, realtek sound drivers, fraps, radeon pro (stable version), dropbox, logitech mouse software, coretemp, display fusion, google update, 7 sidebar widgets/gadgets and music manager.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It may pay to keep an eye on it after several hours of use. Maybe a virus is eating memory?

What you have now sounds about right but if it keeps going up and up, I would look for what is causing it to do this. My computer is on for days and days (I stream films to my bedroom TV) and it never shows that much memory used that you had in an earlier pic.

Of course I could be miles off but worth monitoring.

Caporegime
OP
I would hate to think that I have got a virus on a brand new install of W7 already! :eek:

Have eset nod32 AV and comodo firewall (both fully up to date), will do a scan later and see if anything is brought up.

Yeah, I think the RAM usage jumped to that level previously (around 6.5GB) during far cry 3. Will monitor it and see exactly when it happens.

My uptime varies, sometimes it will only be on for one day and turned of for the night where as other times I will have it running for about 2-3 days at most (again never encountered this before the new GPU though :confused:)

Caporegime
OP
No black screen, screen just freezes on whatever is running (no coloured lines/stripes across the screen and no artefacts/glitching in games either), nothing moves/responds, even the sidebar gadgets freeze on their last readings.

I had a read through your thread there and I didn't have any of those problems with CCC/drivers.

Associate
Ah OK. Maybe try disabling audio completely to rule that out?

I don't know what caused my issues, drivers or power or something else. I'm going to hold back on an RMA and see if it happens again over the next few days.

Good luck with yours.

Caporegime
Hi,

When it locks up does the screen go black?

That's what's been happening to me on similar(ish) MB and GPU.

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Sapphire 7850

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18420510

you probably need to use one/two clicks at most,more cpu v or cpu offset

i get a lot of ccc not loading at startup and games would just crash to desktop if i was a touch to low on cpu v with gigabyte z77x up4

its either that or your memory not setup correctly,oh and be sure to use the latest bios

Caporegime
OP
Ah OK. Maybe try disabling audio completely to rule that out?

I don't know what caused my issues, drivers or power or something else. I'm going to hold back on an RMA and see if it happens again over the next few days.

Good luck with yours.

Will try that too as I have read about people having problems with realtek drivers in a lot of games etc.

Thanks! :) Keep me up to date with yours.

Caporegime
OP
Ok, just been playing FC 3 there and the system lock up happened again, however, the RAM usage was fine this time, pics below of RAM, CPU and GPU temps and usage:

AcMrWh.jpg

3nHq1h.jpg

Going to run memtest now.

Caporegime
how much ram are you running? for 8gb on a h55 board i need 1.32v so id start there,1.2v isnt enough imo

anywhere between 1.32v-1.36v qpi/vtt,dram v is fine

x.m.p is only a stored profile on the ram,it can be outdated,you can also set system performance enhance to standard aswell,this relaxes the secondary ram timings

Caporegime
OP
8GB (2x4GB sticks in the right slots for dual channel)

Would it be the same for my P55 board though?

How do I change the qpi voltage?

Will switch "performance enhance" to standard as well. Currently running memtest at the minute.

Caporegime
probably disable x.m.p and set qpi/vtt to 1.32,set dram to 1.65v,set spd system multi to give you 1600mhz speed

for timings set to manual and quick,then type in the rams timings in the top four spaces

p55/h55 are similar

unless x.m.p lets you set a manual profile? idk

Caporegime
OP
Just been looking at all the settings in the BIOS and when I went to change the "performance enhance" to standard, in red writing it said something along the lines of "if overclocking, reducing this to 'standard' could improve system stability", so I will leave the XMP profile to the standard one supplied for now and see if that one change has solved the issue, if not then I will manually adjust the RAM voltage etc. stuff.

Here is another screen of the voltages etc.

NdRaoh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom