• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

[HELP] PC locking up completely at random during games

Caporegime
OP
Brother has just given me the above RAM, so everything in the BIOS is back to the way it was before, including performance enhance mode set to "turbo".

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
It happened again with the 2x2GB G skill sticks with everything at default in the bios.

There was no noise this time and a black screen, however, this may have just been due to the game level as once the level was over it goes to a black screen with no sound.....

Getting fed up with playing these 2 same games now and wasting too much time trying to fix whatever is causing this issue and I have tried changing voltage stuff etc. with no success so now I am just starting to wonder if I should buy a new PSU or just return the GPU and get an nvidia equivalent?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I understand your frustration Nexus and I don't think it is the PSU. Quite possible it is a faulty GPU but I feel it would do it in other stressful games.

Request an RMA for the GPU and tell them what is happening.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah from what I have read on here and other threads, if it was a GPU issue I think there would be artefacts, lines across the screen etc. when the lock up happens and everything does seem to point to the RAM or/and CPU being the issue.

I am going to put the corsair memory back in now and install max payne 3 (actually want to play this game again) and if it happens with this game then I will RMA the GPU and see what happens.

Caporegime
whats the gpu memory freq at? stock 1200mhz? try with 1150mhz and see if it still locks up

btw its well noted for ocz psu's to have issues on gigabyte boards,im not saying yours is incompatible but if rma'ing the card doesnt solve it then maybe psu?

Caporegime
OP
Yup 1200MHz currently. Will try that out. Should I drop the core clock too? (currently at 900MHz)

Also uninstalling any audio drivers.

I don't have a OCZ PSU :p Have an antec earthwatts 500W PSU:

asjCUh.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
All audio drivers are uninstalled, rebooted and windows installed sound drivers automatically. Have run ccleaner (including its registry fixer/cleaner) and have just checked for windows updates and there is quite a lot of stuff in the optional section about performance, reliability fixes so installing them all now.

Will keep the clock speeds at default for now and see if the above stuff resolves the issue, if not then I'll drop the clock speeds.

BTW is it better to run the realtek audio drivers (from the gigabyte site) or just to leave them (assuming that they aren't the cause of the lock up issue...). Read a lot of mixed opinions on them....

Associate
I realise this doesn't help but I said I'd let you know what happened with my 7850 GPU. After a couple of days of frustrating time wasting tests, I just returned it and bought a GTX 660. It works. It's that simple for me. I didn't want to OC. I just didn't expect to have to tweak CPU/MEM, reinstall drivers, OS etc etc just to play a game. I'm not daft and I can do that stuff but I've gotten used to the simplicity of an xbox and wanted a decent GPU in my PC that worked :)

Hope you find the solution to your woes! There were far too many people have black screen crashes etc on the 7850 for me to throw more evenings at it.

In my case, new GPU, doesn't work, PC was fine before, RMA RMA ! was infact the right thing to do..

Caporegime
it just depends,i have two of these cards tested on h55/z68/z77 and no issues at all

ok you might get a duff card,but you need to work out whether it is the card or something else,this card is a lot more powerfull than the ops old card so its gonna push things more

Caporegime
OP
For a bit there I thought that what I did above had fixed the problem as BO II was running for quite a while, but as usual the lock up happens eventually.....

Going to give BO II a rest now and just play games that I want i.e. max payne 3 etc.

So will keep stock clocks for other games and when I do play BO II or my brother plays it, I'll drop the memory clock.

And if the memory clock doesn't fix the problem then RMA time and am considering just paying an extra £30 or so for the asus direct CU 660. Shame as I really liked the 7850, especially the MSI twin frz III model.

Associate
it just depends,i have two of these cards tested on h55/z68/z77 and no issues at all

ok you might get a duff card,but you need to work out whether it is the card or something else,this card is a lot more powerfull than the ops old card so its gonna push things more

I went from onboard graphics to the 7850/660. The 660 just works, the 7850 didn't. I imagine it was software issues for me not hardware.

What's more likely in a non overclocking situation? The new card software or hardware is causing crashes.. or putting it in has destabilised existing CPU/MEM settings?

Update: I should say I know very little about bios freq/temp settings etc so I may well be wrong. Just seems the simple answer is probably the right one.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I forgot have you tried with the power slider to 20% in ccc? You could rma and see what happens with the new card

No, what does it do? I will try that before adjusting the memory clock speed.

EDIT:

does graphics overdrive have to be enabled?

edit:

That is a yes to the above question.

Last edited:
Caporegime
actually i dont think it would help,it just raises the overcurrent protection,its only if the gpu is maxed 100% load it would help

it throttles itself to stay within thermal design power limit,the power control raises this limit

Caporegime
OP
I have been playing max payne 3 (everything on max settings) for quite a while there and no lock ups.

This was with the power slider set to 20% so I'll try BO II out later on and see.

Any idea why this seems to be only happening with FC 3 and BO II so far? Haven't had this issue in:

- the walking dead
- red faction Armageddon
- crysis 2
- dead light
- hitman absolution (although don't play this game for very long)

Going to reinstall BF 3 and see what happens with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom