Help Picking Fans / Paste

Soldato
So having my PC run at 100c while working in Lightroom really isn't good, so I'm going to try a couple of things to help out my situation. Add extra fans, change paste and possibly CPU cooler (using stock Intel cooler).

I've only ever run with stock fans, so only have two fans in the front and one at the back. However, it seems I can add either 2 x 140mm or 3 x 120mm fans to the top of the case (https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/obsidian-450D-install-guide.pdf - page 5).

Motherboard is Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK.

I've been browsing OcUK looking for pottential fans to buy. So far I've come up with these;

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £177.96 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Any thoughts on any of these? Or any others to look at? Try keep the price for the fans <£30. The more I save the better. I don't care how they look, I just need something that works.

Also for the paste, I was looking at either

Total: £11.48 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Thoughts?

I haven't looked at CPU coolers just yet but that's something that may potentially have to wait another few weeks.

Hoping to get something ordered this weekend, so I can sort my PC next week.

Associate
I'm a big fan (groan...) of the Akasa Vipers. PWM control, great airflow and static pressure. The Piranha Air-rippers are great too- I have three of those on my rad and three Vipers on the front intakes- and a Spectre Pro 140mm on rear exhaust.
They're all pretty darn quiet once you get them set up in the Bios too.

Man of Honour
So having my PC run at 100c while working in Lightroom really isn't good, so I'm going to try a couple of things to help out my situation. Add extra fans, change paste and possibly CPU cooler (using stock Intel cooler).
what you need is a new CPU cooler. the stock intel cooler is ****ing ****.
this will give better cpu temps (~30-40c), compared to changing your case fans (0-10c depending on your current setup), or changing the thermal paste (0-3c)

Soldato
OP
I'm a big fan (groan...) of the Akasa Vipers. PWM control, great airflow and static pressure. The Piranha Air-rippers are great too- I have three of those on my rad and three Vipers on the front intakes- and a Spectre Pro 140mm on rear exhaust.
They're all pretty darn quiet once you get them set up in the Bios too.

Thanks, the one part I am confused by with the Vipers is they say 3/4 pins? My MB has 4 pin headers.

what you need is a new CPU cooler. the stock intel cooler is ****ing ****.
this will give better cpu temps (~30-40c), compared to changing your case fans (0-10c depending on your current setup), or changing the thermal paste (0-3c)

If you have any you recommend, please tell. I still may add more fans also as it can only improve performance. So lets say I keep the CPU cooler in the price range of 30/40 quid or less, I could potentially still get some extra fans to stick in the case.

Man of Honour
Soldato
OP
how tall is your ram?

Total: £119.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

These are the ones and searching a little gives me "PCB: Height 1.180"(30.00mm), double sided component". Not sure if this is what you mean? I got this info from http://www.avexir.com/product/blitzspec-ddr3.html.

Should I replace the stock fans I got with the case though? They are 140mm AFL140L at the front and 120mm AF120L at the back.

Man of Honour
These are the ones and searching a little gives me "PCB: Height 1.180"(30.00mm), double sided component". Not sure if this is what you mean? I got this info from http://www.avexir.com/product/blitzspec-ddr3.html.
the heatspreaders are the parts normally that cause more havoc with big heatsinks. the cooler i linked to, is semi recessed so avoids the ram altogether, alleviating this problem.

Should I replace the stock fans I got with the case though? They are 140mm AFL140L at the front and 120mm AF120L at the back.
your obsidian 450d already has 3 fans included, so i wouldn't suggest getting any. the included stock corsair fans aren't that bad, and the case is well ventilated.

Associate
Thanks, the one part I am confused by with the Vipers is they say 3/4 pins? My MB has 4 pin headers.

If you have any you recommend, please tell. I still may add more fans also as it can only improve performance. So lets say I keep the CPU cooler in the price range of 30/40 quid or less, I could potentially still get some extra fans to stick in the case.

They are 4-pin fans (PWM), but you can plug into 3-pin headers for DC control instead. Just means you can use either type of header- mobos almost always 4-pin, whereas aftermarket fan controllers tend to be 3-pin DC control.

Soldato
Honestly just try the CPU cooler upgrade first, the stock cooler is entirely inappropriate for the beefier Haswell chips in summer. I'm hoping you're not overclocking!!

As far as fan connections, a 3 pin fan may not be speed controllable depending on your motherboard. But as said, CPU cooler upgrade first then see.

Soldato
Any thoughts on any of these? Or any others to look at? Try keep the price for the fans <£30. The more I save the better. I don't care how they look, I just need something that works.
For budget Arctic Cooling fans should be very good. (non-Pro, because those "Pros" are total marketing BS scam)
Also Scythe makes good fans, though standard SlipStreams use basic sleeve brearing, which doesn't like horizontal positions and like honestly stated in Scythe's page their life time isn't longest.
Anyway increasing airflow always means also more noise, because actually pushing air causes that.
And that case isn't that closed and heat "trapping".

So first thing should be getting rid of **** poor stock HSF.
Cryorig H7 would be very good for price.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryorig-h7-single-tower-heatsink-with-120mm-fan-hs-008-cy.html

Soldato

I've only ever run with stock fans, so only have two fans in the front and one at the back. However, it seems I can add either 2 x 140mm or 3 x 120mm fans to the top of the case (https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/obsidian-450D-install-guide.pdf - page 5).

Motherboard is Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK.

I've been browsing OcUK looking for pottential fans to buy. So far I've come up with these;

Total: £177.96 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Also for the paste, I was looking at either

Total: £11.48 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Thoughts?

I haven't looked at CPU coolers just yet but that's something that may potentially have to wait another few weeks.

Hoping to get something ordered this weekend, so I can sort my PC next week.
The 3x PH-F120MP are great and for £26 a very good deal. That is what I would get. You might find this link to basic guide to how airflow works and optimizing case airflow of interest.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Either TIM will be fine. Honestly, the difference between them is maybe 1-2c. The top 40 TIMs excluding liguid metal varients are all within 3c of each other while optimizing case airflow will likey give you 5-15c lower temps.

Back
Top Bottom