Help Picking Fans / Paste

Associate
Hmm. Well it's not plastic film on the heatsink anyway...

Hard to see how thick that layer of paste is from the photo, but I'd say it might actually be too much.
Clean it all off, then dollop a small pea-sized amount slap-bang in the middle of the CPU. Don't spead it yourself- use the action of screwing the cooler down to do that for you. Alternate turns on the tightening screws- one turn on one, then one turn on the next, and so on, so it goes down evenly.

Aside from that, and making sure the fan works properly, I'm not sure what to suggest...

Associate
Another thought- is the mounting bracket (the bit you have to attach to the mobo before mounting the cooler) attached correctly? Some come with washers, and if these are put in the wrong place, it could literally hold your cooler half a mm or so too high. Might be worth checking what you've done agrees with the instructions...

Soldato
OP
Are you sure the heatsink base is touching the CPU? Hard to tell if there's thermal paste on both surfaces. Doesn't look right. The paste should be runny or sticky.

Well this was somewhat thick to spread. The instructions say to spread with the provided plastic spatula. Or in a cross shape however as posted above. Just done it with a single blob.

Soldato
What DoneADougalOnSofa said. In fact past doesn't even have to cover the entire CPU IHS, only a round circle just reaching the middle edges on IHS square. Circle in a square. ;) CPU chips are only a small part of IHS area. IHS area is not to spread heat, but to spread cooler / waterblock load area to outer edges of CPU PCB and equalize pressure so the PCB does not distort and damage the 1000+ contacts between CPU and motherboard. :D

Man of Honour
81c is still a wee bit too high for a performance cooler. i'd hazard a guess that something isn't quite fitting right tbh (or your overclock/voltages are the issue).
but if it completes an hour of prime torture, then one could be tempted to leave it alone.

Man of Honour
That paste spread on the image is weird - suggests there isn't a good fit between the CPU IHS and the cooler plate. Paste application is probably not helping either.

Soldato
OP
81c is still a wee bit too high for a performance cooler. i'd hazard a guess that something isn't quite fitting right tbh (or your overclock/voltages are the issue).
but if it completes an hour of prime torture, then one could be tempted to leave it alone.

So after running for 1 hour 45 minutes, temps hit a max of 82c but generally was around 78/79c. CPU-Z displays Core Speed as 4398.97 and Core Voltage at 1.154V. Temps idling around 30c.

So could fans improve this further? Or am I looking at CPU cooler which doesn't really fit?

Which I guess leads back to my first post, could it also be the stock fans that are an issue?

Soldato
That heatsink is making terrible contact with the CPU, ideally there should be TIM on both surfaces after it has been mounted and pulled back off showing good contact between both. Very odd.

Man of Honour
So after running for 1 hour 45 minutes, temps hit a max of 82c but generally was around 78/79c. CPU-Z displays Core Speed as 4398.97 and Core Voltage at 1.154V. Temps idling around 30c.

So could fans improve this further? Or am I looking at CPU cooler which doesn't really fit?
the core volts and speed look ok.

i suggest taking off the heatsink again and seeing if (and how much of) the thermal paste is now smudged on the cooler.
if it doesn't cover (most of) the whole base, then something's mounted not quite right. in which case, take it all off and reassemble...

Soldato
OP
the core volts and speed look ok.

i suggest taking off the heatsink again and seeing if (and how much of) the thermal paste is now smudged on the cooler.
if it doesn't cover (most of) the whole base, then something's mounted not quite right. in which case, take it all off and reassemble...

Wouldn't that mean I need to reapply the paste yet again?

Man of Honour
Wouldn't that mean I need to reapply the paste yet again?
unfortunately so. :(
but for that cooler, should be seeing somewhere nearer to 65-70c.
if you're okay with 80c then by all means leave it. 80c is nowhere near the max operating temperature for the cpu anyway.
but on the flip-side, if the cooler is not mounted properly, it may possibly cause issues in the future? it is, after all a ~1kg lump of metal

Back
Top Bottom