Help with adding water to my 650D

Associate
I have posted a few times in the last few days.

Still a touch undecided about doing this but if I can get a good system for ok money then I may well pull the trigger.

Remember its to replace a H80 thats been messing about.

I am looking at adding in one of GTX 580's as it gets very hot in the 650d case, when they are both running hard with a decent oc
The other (bottom) never gets above 65c even under a big oc so there is no need to water cool it.

I am after a double rad based system and need it to cool my oc 2600k as well

I have looked at this kit and it seems ok + a few extra bits to make it up.
I am not necessarily after class leadin performance - more to get me going and to perform as well as the H80 which is pretty good!

My basket - what else do I need?? More tubing / connectors?

EK H3O Watercooling Kit - Supreme HF 240 **2011 Compatible** EK H3O Watercooling Kit - £158.98

EK FC580 GTX+ Full Cover Waterblock - Nickel **EN Nickel Plating**

Mayhems Ultra Pure H20 Watercooling Fluid 1L Mayhems Ultra Pure H20 Watercooling Fluid 1L

Are you getting another rad then? As your basket shows only one rad in the H3O kit, if you needed another rad then you would need at least another 2 fans, additional tubing and fittings for the 580 and other rad.

I am going to start a 650D build soon and will be fitting 2 rads in there.
For the top, a 2 x 140 slim rad, then at the bottom front, after moving the drive cage, a Phobya 200mm rad.

A 2x140mm rad is the biggest one can fit at the top, so greater surface area.
The front 200mm rad will still have an intake fan (or 2), so airflow not a problem, although i will watercool my graphics card too.

just the one double rad mate I dont have space for 2

thanks

Whilst a 240mm rad would work, the temps would not be great - especially if both the 2600k and 580 are overclocked, in an extreme case you could end up with the same temps or only small differences compared to air cooling your rig.

I am not sure on the heat dissipation capabilities of a 280mm radiator, nevertheless it will cool better than the 240mm rad though I would not expect a large difference still.

What tubing can i buy to go with this water kit?

I am not sure the diameter but looking at the reviews people say the included tubing is pants

What tubing can i buy to go with this water kit?

I am not sure the diameter but looking at the reviews people say the included tubing is pants

Looks like it's 3/8" tubing, I'd stick with it if the space inside the 650D is tight. Or go with 7/16", bigger but not as big as 1/2" tubing.

PS - If you are going to cool a GTX 580 and 2600K overclocked I'd say it's going to be pretty hard to do that on a one radiator (unless you're going to run the fans on high and even still might not be ideal).

I have just been trying to measure - I dont think it wil fit anyways - with one row of fans on it will be bloody tight on my mobo top heatsink.

This is hard work trying to sort this out

My Basket - about £300 and bloody expensive if its not going to cool well therefore not worth it

EK H3O Watercooling Kit - Supreme HF 240 **2011 Compatible** EK H3O Watercooling Kit - £158.98

EK FC580 GTX+ Full Cover Waterblock - Nickel Plexi **EN Nickel Plating** EK FC580 GTX+ Full Cover Waterblock - Nickel Plexi **EN Nickel Plating** £79.99

Phobya 5,25" Single Bay Reservoir Black Phobya 5,25" Single Bay Reservoir Black £23.98

EK-EKoolants Clear EK-EKoolants Clear £5.60

EK-PSC Adapter Rotary 90° G1/4 Nickel EK-PSC Adapter Rotary 90° G1/4 Nickel £3.59 x 2

EK-PSC Adapter Rotary 45° G1/4 Nickel EK-PSC Adapter Rotary 45° G1/4 Nickel £3.59 x 2

XSPC 3/8" ID [16/10mm] High Flex Hose - UV Blue XSPC 3/8" ID [16/10mm] High Flex Hose - UV Blue

My Basket - about £300 and bloody expensive if its not going to cool well therefore not worth it

Well that's because you've got all the heat removing components, and not enough heat dissipating ones :)

If you really want to watercool in a 650D then either cool the CPU or the GPU (unless you can fit more radiators, perhaps an external one) or do like Bito plans to and get a 200mm radiator in the front. Last option does require a bit of modding though IIRC.

Or just get a bigger case which can hold a bigger radiator then you wont be so restricted.

buy a new case then you are looking at £500 what is the point - its starts getting crazy
I paid £165 for this case 3 months ago

surely a decent 240 rad with a couple of fans and £200+ spent on the rest of the bits will be better than a H80 and the air cooler on my msi 580

otherwise how do they evey sell any - and I am sure they sell loads ?

There is more suface area on a 240 rad than a gpu and 120 rad surely.
Plus the ambient air outside my case is a lot cooler than the air inside my case when 2 580s are going and the H80 is pumping in as well

buy a new case then you are looking at £500 what is the point - its starts getting crazy
welcome to OcUK :p
meh

surely a decent 240 rad with a couple of fans and £200+ spent on the rest of the bits will be better than a H80 and the air cooler on my msi 580
no. just no. You could just abou do it but it would be noisy. If you're happy to go un OC'd then it will be ok

because some people are happy with air cooling and have a good case for it?

Plus the ambient air outside my case is a lot cooler than the air inside my case when 2 580s are going and the H80 is pumping in as well

Surprise surprise! who'd ever have thought that'd be the case :rolleyes:

E: Im being a bit harsh^^

Last edited:

Plus the ambient air is a lot cooler than the air inside my case when 2 580s are going and the H80 is pumping in as well

There is more surface area, but what I mean is that kit is for the CPU only (well it's sold for it) and it'll be better than your H80 cooling the CPU only. If you add the GTX580 into the mix then the temps might not be as good on the CPU side compared to what you got with the H80.

The ambient air might still be a lot cooler even when you watercool, but if you have your radiator like your H80 pushing air in the 240 will push even more air in making the case temp even higher for your other 580. Not sure what point you're making there.

They sell loads of those kits but I would guess that most people use it to cool their CPU and possibly GPUs which aren't as hot as yours, or they get another radiator added in.

When I say buy a new case I mean buy the new case and try and sell your one. Hassle and you probably will lose on the current case but it would be the easier option if I wanted to fit another radiator in to cool the components.

You've got quite a lot of hot components in a small case. Sort of like buying all the top parts and not getting a decent PSU :D

Last edited:

Watercooling is not as simple as that sadly and requires a level of understanding to attain a good intuition about the process.

A single 240 or 280mm rad will not cool your selected components (OC 2600k and 580) like myself and others have stated, sure it will cool but there will still be additional heat to dissipate which makes getting those radiators fairly pointless if you're going for heat reduction. Like moogle summarised the additional heat exhausted from your other card will raise the ambient case temperature and worsen your temps under water. I assume that when you purchased your PC you did not plan for watercooling as an upgrade path?

Back
Top Bottom