Help with adding water to my 650D

I didn't ever plan to watercool ,I am looking at it as a result of having a faulty h80.
I am reluctant to use another one, but see little alternative - my temps with it are actually good max 75c with 1.45v on prime.
With an offset oc my general load temps dont go above 50c approx. I dont want to buy something else and get worse temps, what would be the point of that.

My top gtx 580 does get hot in my 650d in real demanding games such as crysis 1 & 2 fully maxed or benchs etc. This is because the coolers on both 580s output a lot of their heat into the middle of my case - a lot of their heat distribution comes out of the back of the cards, rather than out the back of the case.
The 650d has no cool in airflow at it's back or middle therefore my top card gets starved of cool air as the case cool air intake(200mm front intake over hds) meets the cards hot air output if that makes sense in the middle-ish of the case.
That heat rises and is vented out the top by the 200mm

I have tested - by taking the side of the case off and my top gpu temps drop 10+ degrees at 100% load.
That is my target for the gpu and allows me to overclock more:) This will be more important in the future when games become more demanding or I buy a 120htz monitor.

I therefore was looking at using water to cool my top gpu and CPU to make spending another few hundred pounds worth it - I was hoping to get equal cpu cooling to the H80 - I will be happy with that but also cool my top 580 at the same time.
My top gtx would then not be using any case air to cool, and using my loop.

My target temps are 75c max 1.45v 100% load CPU
And 80c top gpu with a decent amount of volts and overclock.
I presumed to get better temps than that, but you are all say no?? if thats the case I might as well keep my money / the H80 and get the side mesh panel and maybe a 180mm fan.
I dont really want to do that as its ugly + watercooling is new and exciting, however I am not prepared to buy anything else new i.e. case or anything just to watercool. (Obviously will happily buy the bits for watercooling)

Last edited:
The 650D can take a 120mm rad at the rear fan exhaust location too. That and a 240 up top will fit without any mods. to the case, effectively giving you 360 rad cooling power.

Last edited:
I was thinking about that - however you dont then have any case exhausts - so the internal hot air will be trapped.

someone suggested putting a 200mm rad in the bottom instead of the intake fan - that seems a better option then have the 120mm exhaust doing just that?

I was thinking about that - however you dont then have any case exhausts - so the internal hot air will be trapped.

someone suggested putting a 200mm rad in the bottom instead of the intake fan - that seems a better option then have the 120mm exhaust doing just that?

You could always just set the fans on the 240 and 120 to exhaust. Sure it wont be room temps passing through the rads but the ambient in the case will be cooler, the main heat generating parts will be removing their heat via the waterblocks.

True but one of my 580s will still be dumping hot air in and they pump out a lot into the case - just a concern

having never done it its hard to know for sure??

Last edited:
Take the easier option mate, and get the mesh side insert for the 650D side panel. Stick a couple of fans (intake or outtake) on them and that'll sort out your GPU's.

The 650D really only takes watercooling for CPU or GPU - not both due to lack of rad space.

And also be careful which Radiator you get for the top. 240's, make sure they aren't too thick otherwise your fans or rad will touch your motherboard, and be careful with a 280 as the case doesn't leave much space for manouver at the top due to the top sata hdd plastic (stick your hand in to the top and you'll know what I mean).

been doing my research too as this H100 isn't exactly great - keeps me in check at 4.6 but I'd like to go back to 4.8 at some point by custom watercooling JUST the cpu for now.

Keep us posted though which ever route you take - me gots my eye on this thread ;)

Take the easier option mate, and get the mesh side insert for the 650D side panel. Stick a couple of fans (intake or outtake) on them and that'll sort out your GPU's.

The 650D really only takes watercooling for CPU or GPU - not both due to lack of rad space.

And also be careful which Radiator you get for the top. 240's, make sure they aren't too thick otherwise your fans or rad will touch your motherboard, and be careful with a 280 as the case doesn't leave much space for manouver at the top due to the top sata hdd plastic (stick your hand in to the top and you'll know what I mean).

been doing my research too as this H100 isn't exactly great - keeps me in check at 4.6 but I'd like to go back to 4.8 at some point by custom watercooling JUST the cpu for now.

Keep us posted though which ever route you take - me gots my eye on this thread ;)

My H80 is good for 4.8 mate with an offset so its not cooking all the time.
With Prime it hits 1.432v but its fluctating constantly - I think because I have some power saving settings on in bios - either way is stable - no BSOD's

I was testing today with the 650D clear side panel taken out and the heat these gpus put into the box is crazy - the HD cage gets hot but in AIDA my HD temps are about 35c which isnt too bad considering.

I was thinking at least if I wc one of them that will reduce the heat in the case a hell of a lot and it may make the 3 rad exhausting possible (120 and 240 as mentioned)

The other thing I notice is that even though the cards are pumping out loads of heat the top of the case didnt feel partcularly warm - that might have been because I had the side window out and the heat could escape.

I would hate to spend £300 and then be back at square one and not be able to oc gpu!!

I did fint this earlier - which got me thinking and looks bloody good

http://www.overclock.net/t/969234/close-combat-a-corsair-650d-water-cooled-build/100

Last edited:
@@EllisDJ - You tried moving the second HDD cage out of the way of the front fan? that might help things. I also note that the front fan isn't one of the best - I believe theres a coolermaster 200mm one thats much better allot of users have been flocking to.

I doubt very much you'll be able to hit the same oc on CPU and an oc on the GPU with watercooling. I also don't like the idea of the one major intake fan (front 200mm) pulling hot air through the rad and into the case - thats not going to help cool the other rad at the top....

I did fint this earlier - which got me thinking and looks bloody good

http://www.overclock.net/t/969234/close-combat-a-corsair-650d-water-cooled-build/100

This is almost EXACTLY what i am doing in my new 650D build and hence my suggestion earlier.

I have a 280mm Koolance Rad+Phobya 200mm rad.
I'm using 120mm to 140mm fan adaptors with Scythe GT fans on the 280 and a single (maybe pair) of Coolermaster Megaflow fan on the 200mm rad.

I've got most of the parts now, just deciding on CPU/GPU blocks.

This is almost EXACTLY what i am doing in my new 650D build and hence my suggestion earlier.

I have a 280mm Koolance Rad+Phobya 200mm rad.
I'm using 120mm to 140mm fan adaptors with Scythe GT fans on the 280 and a single (maybe pair) of Coolermaster Megaflow fan on the 200mm rad.

I've got most of the parts now, just deciding on CPU/GPU blocks.

Sounds like you've done your research mate :)

Does the 280 Koolance rad fit ok at the top, without modding anything? thanks.

Sounds like you've done your research mate :)

Does the 280 Koolance rad fit ok at the top, without modding anything? thanks.

The Koolance (or Magicool) 280 will fit ok if you have the fans on top of the rad. This will avoid the rad hitting the SATA port of the case, as it is lowered by the fans :)

According to the reviews i've seen the Koolance does very well, even against the 360/420 rads. The Magicool is however cheaper, with little loss in performance.
They are both thin enough to fit, without any mods.

I want to give the GT 1450's a try due to the pressure they produce vs. noise.
I may try some 140mm fans at a later stage, with the Apache 140's a candidate.

Back
Top Bottom