help with choosing smaller case

Associate
Hi I've replaced my pc desk and my current case "Be Quiet Dark 900 Pro" is too wide and too long for it, the space where the tower goes is W x L x H 24x48x68cm, what would you recommend the narrower the better, it doesn't need to have a window but needs to have good airflow and be quiet, here is what's going in it

Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming K5
CPU Intel Core i7-7700K
CPU Cooler Be Quiet.Silent Loop 280
RAM Team Group Dark Pro 16GB 3000MHz
GPU Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Premier Pack
SSD1 Samsung 960 Evo Polaris 500GB
SSD2 Samsung 960 Evo Polaris 500GB
SSD3 Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
PSU Super Flower Leadex Platinum 650W
Blu-Ray Drive Asus DRW-24D5MT

Associate
OP
can anyone help me, I've found the following but don't know if there any good

IN-WIN 503
IN-WIN 703
Phanteks Eclipse P400
Zalman R1
Zalman Z3
Zalman Z9
Aerocool Aero 500
Aerocool Aero 800
Aerocool Cruisestar Advance
Corsair 330R Carbide
Corsair Carbide 400Q

Soldato
Out of your list i personally like the Corsair Carbide 400Q - but have only ever built with one - but was impressed with the case. Clean lines and solidly built - very much my own personal taste though - and was built for a friend (i guided him towards it as it looked the best case for his budget at the time - he loves it).

Have you looked at the Fractal Design Range too - they're great cases for the money.

EDIT: Scrub the Fractals too wide for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
would I be better scrapping the quietness requirement and just getting a case that cools well
You've bought a quality AIO and, from your previous case choice, clearly relative silence is important. I don't see any reason to compromise unless you were experiencing problems before?

A quality silent case should keep your innards cool coupled with the beQuiet AIO. The 400q has the option to remove the top (I wouldn't unless absolutely necessary) so you could add more fans if required. But obviously this would compromise an additional sound barrier that you would have paid for.

Are you concerned about your GTX 1080 temps?

Associate
OP
I just don't want temps higher than they currently are, I think temps are very good at the moment, gpu idles around 30-32c and around 50-60c load, cpu idles around 30-35c and around 60c load

Soldato
I just don't want temps higher than they currently are, I think temps are very good at the moment, gpu idles around 30-32c and around 50-60c load, cpu idles around 30-35c and around 60c load
Your temps are great - even if they were to go up a few degrees I would should still be happy.

Perhaps looking at it another way will help - if you bought the 400Q (not saying you should) - the setup of the rig would essentially be the same to your present, Be Quiet Dark 900 Pro. The AIO at the front drawing in and a singular out take at the back?

The only defining difference being the dimensions of the case. I can't pretend to know the impact this would have - and the rig i built around the case performed well but was a different setup, dedicated air.

I would look at reviews of 400Q - but personally - i would risk a few degrees increase (your temps would still be respectable) and have relative silence than a dedicated cooling case. As you've already experienced that a decent cooling case can give great results.

Soldato
I've got my current case setup as follows

Top: aio rad
front: 2x 140mm
Bottom: 1x 140mm
Ah, that explains your temps :)

You could do this exact same setup with the 400Q - as you wouldn't mind losing the extra sound proofing from the top of the case (my original concern for you was keeping the unit as silent as possible and keeping things comfortably cool)

That is the optimum setup for cooling and the beQuiet AIO is aptly named - so even at the top of the case it's still relatively quiet. If you're use to that setup - then the 400Q would hopefully suit your needs with little temp difference.

What were the air cooling cases that caught your eye?

Associate
OP
the corsair crystal range, what about an inverted case as the left side of the case isn't far from the wood of the desk,

here is the desk

61f1SAyFeL._SL1500_.jpg
71AgWK7EVL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
the corsair crystal range, what about an inverted case as the left side of the case isn't far from the wood of the desk
460 or 570? - They're nice looking cases (too bright for me) - but haven't worked on one personally. It would certainly make an impact on that desk.

You could go inverted - access would certainly be easier.

If you go for a similar air configuration -with whatever new case you get - i'm sure your temps will still be very good.

Soldato
just checked the 400Q and the aio won't fit in the top, it will in the 330r

Yes, sorry, i was referring to the AIO at the front if 400Q and 2 x extract fans at the top and 1 at the rear - so not quite the same as your beQuiet case setup.

The 330R is a big ol' case - again I've not worked on it but it fits your narrow criteria. I'm guess it's not exciting you much?

I'm looking at this at the moment - checking specs etc...

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £111.65

Looks like it will accommodate your preferred configuration too - Clicky

YouTube

Last edited:
Soldato
will the 330r be quiet like the 400q, I don't mind the looks
Well, it has all the absorbing padding/silent additions you would expect on a silent case - and it looks as solidly built as other Corsairs in that money bracket (Clarifying again i've not worked with the 330R)

It would essentially be the same as the beQuiet case once you've taken the top off - and as mentioned this compromises the silent factor to a degree. But this is where the quality of your AIO kicks in and the relative silence of the case fans.

Associate
OP
I don't like the 330r airflow looks because of the metal in front of the fans at the front and the hdd cage at the bottom can't be removed, I like the case you linked but is it silent and I don't really want a window if possible

Soldato
I don't like the 330r airflow looks because of the metal in front of the fans at the front and the hdd cage at the bottom can't be remove
I know what you mean - how many HDDs do you use? If it's only a couple you could use the 5.5" bays and remove the cage? (you would have to drill out the rivets though to do this).

I like the case you linked but is it silent and I don't really want a window if possible
The case is designed with silence in mind - and has sound proofing on the panels.

Yes, i'm not fan of windows - but is yours for aesthetic reasons or the fact that the window isn't sound proofed?

If it's the former - you wouldn't see it because of the orientation of your desk.

Soldato
Thinking laterally

What about keeping the Be Quiet Dark 900 Pro -as it's a great case - and getting a different desk?

Or is that not a consideration?

Back
Top Bottom