• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Here you go, one very expensive pyramid - ATI's Flagship Card!

Caporegime
ok so many threads i cant keep track

its looking expensive, so the GTX will be REALLY expensive!.. luckily im not tempted by dirty nvidia lol

but as people have said on the thread, its making the 6950s CF look even better

i just cant understand how one fan will cool 2 chips! surely its not as good as 2 separate cards? being an CF noob, could someone explain the benifits of 2 chips on one card rather than two. its still CF isnt it?

Permabanned
ok so many threads i cant keep track

its looking expensive, so the GTX will be REALLY expensive!.. luckily im not tempted by dirty nvidia lol

but as people have said on the thread, its making the 6950s CF look even better

i just cant understand how one fan will cool 2 chips! surely its not as good as 2 separate cards? being an CF noob, could someone explain the benifits of 2 chips on one card rather than two. its still CF isnt it?

Single card, Uses less power... quieter.

yes its still Crossfire but the cores are kinda linked together and get much faster data rates (or so i have been told)

Same for the 3870x2, 4870x2 and 5970

Caporegime
for me quietness isnt an issue, neither is power [i mean we are talking systems using a lot of power here] the single slot must be useful for some

the data rate is more interesting, tho dont both then work at 8x?

Permabanned
for me quietness isnt an issue, neither is power [i mean we are talking systems using a lot of power here] the single slot must be useful for some

the data rate is more interesting, tho dont both then work at 8x?

No... Its on a single card so its 16x through the motherboard.

The Data rate between Cores on the card is much faster then any 16x PCI-E lane

Caporegime
ok thanks for that, so, assuming no bottlenecks and good system, and that on one PCB the chips have to be underclocked for temps and power would 2 overclocked similar GFX cards with identical chips be better or worse?

or this this a 'depends on the chips' thing?

Soldato
It depends on benchmarks

if i can get a good price for my 5970 and block and the 6990 block is not over £100 i might... it all depends on if i get a job soon :/

your going to spend all that money and you dont have a job ?

seem's crazy to me.

i have a job but there is no way on this earth i would spend that much even if i had the money.

stupid money to be honest.

Permabanned
Im a student and i get 2.6k in may :p

Plus i said if i get a good price for my 5970+block.. Soo if i got £350ish i would only have to spend £150 (the 6990 might drop in price by may)

so not much money IF the performance is worth it at my res

Back
Top Bottom