• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HEY GIBBO...GTX 690 when is it due?

Permabanned
OP
Heat is an issue on two sandwiched cards. You sandwich two dual GPU cards together you're asking for temp lockouts without extreme fan speed/cooling solutions.

Same goes for 4 gpus in sli.Even if i used 2x690s on air i would have a gap between them,never sandwich them.

Soldato
Have you even looked at previous dual GPU releases? They're hotter and more expensive. What make you thinks the 690 will be any different?

Same goes for 4 gpus in sli.Even if i used 2x690s on air i would have a gap between them,never sandwich them.

You're mental, stupid or both for considering dual 690's. You'll see :).

And you're still wrong about heat. If it was going to be released as you say it is, i.e. less heat, cheaper... what downsides are there to it? Why release a card that wins hands down? Doesn't happen. If it was going to be as good as you make out it'd be priced accordingly which then completely undermines your assumptions.

The downsides of dual GPU cards are well documented. But you clearly know more :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Have you even looked at previous dual GPU releases? They're hotter and more expensive. What make you thinks the 690 will be any different?

Ive owned almost all multi gpu setups since 3dfx days(voodoo 2 was the first sli setup) ,ive been in this game since 286 days.(over 25 years)

Caporegime
multi gpus are priced at the traditional price 599 or cheaper.

The cheapest launch price of the GTX 590 at OcUK was £615.

At the time the cheapest GTX 580 was £300.

The cheapest GTX 680 at OcUK is currently £425.

Do you still think the GTX 690 will be £599?

Soldato
The cheapest launch price of the GTX 590 at OcUK was £615.

At the time the cheapest GTX 580 was £300.

The cheapest GTX 680 at OcUK is currently £425.

Do you still think the GTX 690 will be £599?

I'm glad someone remembered what the launch prices of the 590's were compared to the 580's at that time. I was sure it was more than 2x with the added hassle of extra heat and noise :(

Associate
Remove the competitor from your post please. And I'm fairly sure they didn't from memory. But if you're holding out for something similar (if it did happen) then the chances are quite slim.

Indeed, its hard enough to get a second hand one at that price these days, let alone brand new when they were launched, I know I didn't see that price on them when I bought mine when they came out

Soldato
By the time this launches the 680 will have dropped in price.

Simple to work out really. If they have the GPU cores available then the price will have to drop as the 7970 has dropped.

Don't be expecting to see anything from Nvidia until they sort out their shortage problems. There is still no stock whatsoever in the USA so making a card that uses two cores is stupid right now.

In other words Nvidia have more to worry about right now than making willy waving cards. They need cards, period.

Just noticed that the prices of the 7970 have now dropped massively in the USA also. Now you can get a twin fan Sapphire 7970 for $469 after rebate. The most expensive one is the XFX and it now retails evenly with the 680 which is still not in stock.

Last edited:
Soldato
guess what:- no GTX 685 :cool:

So this means the most powerful single card out this year is the 680 .... and the 690 will be the most powerful dual GPU card.

so this means we have one less card to choose from (thank God, because it's already confusing)

ok so it looks like the GTX 690 price ?...... 650 quid how about that !

other than this we have the twin 7950s except:-
1... they'll be about the same price
2...not as good drivers
3...harder to set up and for games to recognise.... i think, from what i've read !

dont get me wrong, the 7950 is still very interesting, to be honest it's a no-brainer

Last edited:
Soldato
3...harder to set up and for games to recognise.... i think, from what i've read !

dont get me wrong, the 7950 is still very interesting, to be honest it's a no-brainer

Point 3 is wrong. Dual GPU cards = crossfire/SLI still. It's the same on that front.

Edit: I see that NeoGeo was perma banned. Good :)

Associate
im puzzled why peeps think the 690 will be the same as the 590?

the gk104 is a lot cooler temp + voltage chip than the fermi ever was so even 2 on a card would mean it would be nearlly half the temp of a 590 plus room to oc just like all the other 680 cards...plus throw in a good heatsink and fan setup and you good to go.

plus temps wouldnt get out of hand if you leave a gap between 2 cards...i think peeps here just think its gonna be another 590 when it reality its a completely different beast(chip)

--------------------

apparently only 4GB (2x2GB) not 4GB(8GB) per card, maybe a cost thing.

and as to why purchase?..well from my perspective high fps from a single card on 30" or triple screens.
also your future proofing yourself more due to having one card and in a years time getting another to combat newer games.

its already been said and shown the new kepler series scale better than previous gen cards so if ever you get to 2 cards for Quad-sli its gonna be a better experience than 4xx and 5xx series

2x680 £850>£1200
1x690 £600>£800.....everyones a winner..

just waiting on reviews now :D

Happy Days

:D

Last edited:
Associate
by the way i did see this snippet on one of the sites i look at concerning the 690..it was said when nvidia quietly released their shadowy picture of the 690 on facebook

"NVIDIA want to match the launch of GTX 690 simultaneously with Intel’s Ivy Bridge release, which takes place on April 29th."

take from that what u want ;)

*by the way im not hyping this card for nvidia in anyway im just commenting on whats out there info wise and for all i know its all wrong so ill wait for the 5th than we will see if all the wait was worth it**

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom