HGVs in the outside lane - Is this allowed?

Soldato
You mean this?

So by constantly accelerating and then braking, you're actually causing a ripple effect which can last for miles and miles.

Exactly.

The typical average speed for maximum traffic flow is around 17MPH.

Next time you come across the stop/start motorway jam, just stick to 15-17

What you will find is that initially, the traffic will pull away from you. Then it will stop,

You will slowly catch up with it (At 15-17) and just as you get there it will magically start moving again.

Rinse and repeat...

Those ahead of you will have all the frustration/fuel consumption and agro associated with stop starting (And the very real risk of an accident)

Those behind will all travel all the way through the congested area at a steady 15-17 which is far less stressful, far safer, and uses far less fuel...

Soldato
I broke down on a roundabout going over the motorway near doncaster a few years back. Someone hadn't noticed the traffic had slowed and stamped on the anchors locking up (no need) anyway the resulting ripple effect carried on until we had been recovered but it was slowly moving down the road. No reason other than 30 mins before we watched a van lockup...

Soldato
Exactly.

The typical average speed for maximum traffic flow is around 17MPH.

Next time you come across the stop/start motorway jam, just stick to 15-17

What you will find is that initially, the traffic will pull away from you. Then it will stop,

You will slowly catch up with it (At 15-17) and just as you get there it will magically start moving again.

Rinse and repeat...

Those ahead of you will have all the frustration/fuel consumption and agro associated with stop starting (And the very real risk of an accident)

Those behind will all travel all the way through the congested area at a steady 15-17 which is far less stressful, far safer, and uses far less fuel...

Doesn't work. Which is why you end up with the stop start traffic.
You try that 15mph thing and you find people keep pulling on front of you. Agree if everyone did it it would work but if your the only one it doesn't.

Soldato
Doesn't work. Which is why you end up with the stop start traffic.
You try that 15mph thing and you find people keep pulling on front of you. Agree if everyone did it it would work but if your the only one it doesn't.

It works every time i do it ;)

The trick is to find yourself along side other drivers who also "Get it"

Soldato
On the whole HGV drivers are among the best and most considerate of the professional drivers. However, there is some issues with experienced drivers (read: old) having an aggressiveness about their driving. I think that's in part because of increased traffic and, naturally as a result, poorer driving from more people. Percentage wise the same, just more.

I've seen 1 HGV use the outside lane but in all fairness the vehicles in the inside lanes were going so slow....

Back
Top Bottom