Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
Soldato
Only camping and hiking in the UK planned this year. Taking the missus to Wales as she has never been. Planning on the Lake District for some wild camping and cave camping. Scotland at the end of the year for some colder hikes, bothy hopping and empty wilderness in the winter months :)

Soldato
I spend a lot of weekends out mooching around Snowdonia and the Peaks. Its quite nice out around the Glyderau and Carneddau, quiet too as most people want to do Snowdon for some reason! Only downside is, I don't think I've had a clear day in the mountains since last summer, I've always been walking in fog. Can't wait for June though as I've got two weeks booked off work to spend in the Lakes biking and hiking! :D

Heres a pic from the top of Glyder Fawr just before Christmas..
glydersm.JPG

Soldato
Just to let everyone know, I have emailed ThundyCat asking about the possibility of an outdoors subforum. I think it's a great idea, so fingers crossed the powers that be agree. :)

I'm actually thinking of making a tarp shelter, something along the lines of a trailstar or a "mid" style shelter out of sil-nylon and a corresponding inner nest, I haven't decided exactly which type yet, still just doing research. I may have to ask for dimensions from owners at some point :)

I really don't think you can wrong with a mid or trailstar type shelter. Our MLD Supermid with perimeter bugnet and bugnet door worked great on the PCT and in Scotland. The Trailstar looks even more flexible and wind resistant and is proving very popular.

Still very happy with the Supermid though, and for just over 800g (inc pegs, lines etc) for a shelter that could just about fit 4 people I don't think it's bad at all. I still wouldn't mind a Bivy or tiny shelter though to make it easier to camp on summits/ridges etc. :)

Soldato
Couple of pics of my winter walks.

Striding Edge
483474_10151550264973502_129914602_n.jpg

14705_10151550265258502_2127100341_n.jpg

399234_10151550264863502_1562920599_n.jpg

It was great fun. What shocked me was the amount of people looking at me daft at the car park with my axe and crampons, and they were setting off with shorts and t shirt.

Soldato
Looking at going to the Dolomites for a week in the summer for some alpine walking.

Did some lift assisted walking in the Alps a few years back and that was good, though I remember it being damn cold up there (though it was close to something like 8000ft!)

Associate
Don't get out into the hills/mountains as often as I'd like but when I do I love it.

Have only done a few trips but have done Ben Nevis via the Carn Mor Dearg Arete (great fun!), a 10km ish plod along a few of the brecons (Corn Du, Pen-y-fan, Cribyn...and back :p), and the Malvern Hills a couple of times which are nice but not really big enough and too full of other people to feel anywhere 'wildernessy'.

I wish more people my age were interested in the outdoors, I don't mind plodding along with only myself to be concerned with (and in many instances its very pleasant) but sometimes a friend is nice/useful.

I might be going back to Ben Nevis in the summer, and would also like to do the Snowdon Horseshoe (up Crib Goch, etc) but I'll wait till the weather's better as I only have basic equipment :cool:

In the further future I'd like to reach the himalayas and do some proper altitude stuff :D

Soldato
I wish more people my age were interested in the outdoors, I don't mind plodding along with only myself to be concerned with (and in many instances its very pleasant) but sometimes a friend is nice/useful.

I find this, no one I know wants to get up early at the weekends and go out and wander around the mountains in the rain!

Soldato
OP
I find this, no one I know wants to get up early at the weekends and go out and wander around the mountains in the rain!
I also find that when you tell people you're going out walking they say "but it's winter?" and if you say I'm going to camp in a tent along the way they look at you like you've sprouted another head :D

Soldato

Im lucky one of my mates in work is very keen on it all.
When we did Ben Nevis we did it all in a day, set off from here (Manchester) at 1am and drove none stop there, we were back home by 10pm the same day.
Most places we go we set off at 4am so we walk an hour or so in darkness to get to the summits nice and early.

Soldato
For those interested, sport pursuit have some good pop up sales on outdoor gear:

http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales

I also find that when you tell people you're going out walking they say "but it's winter?" and if you say I'm going to camp in a tent along the way they look at you like you've sprouted another head :D

Well it looks like you all just found someone huh? :p

Soldato
OP
Well it looks like you all just found someone huh? :p
lol cheers, I already have plenty of people to walk with from work and among my friends, I was just talking about the reactions I usually get from non-outdoors people :)

I'm not adverse to people wanting to come over here to go walking if they want though, I can make time :)

Back
Top Bottom