Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
Just to let everyone know, I have emailed ThundyCat asking about the possibility of an outdoors subforum. I think it's a great idea, so fingers crossed the powers that be agree. :)

Excellent; glad someone was able to act upon my suggestion. I couldn't figure out how to let the powers that be know!?

Would you like me to send an email too? Who did you contact?!

I managed my 20KM walk yesterday in the Peak district. I did a walk around along the Pennine way that I made up myself. Was a tough old walk though!

Deffo feeling the burn today!

Soldato
That is a long old walk mate! I did a 14mile walk about 5/6 years ago for charity and that was beside a canal - entirely flat - and that was tough.

Still looking to go to Snowdon tomorrow night to climb it Saturday. Weather forecast really isn't saying "go, dont worry about it", so we'll have to see on the day if it's feesible.

Anybody else done it before in less-than-ideal conditions?

Soldato
Yes many times, including last month. There isn't really any amount of snow at the top at the minute no need for crampons are the like, i had mine but didn't need to use them. Its no harder now than in the summer.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't see why not, plenty of warm clothes and water proofs. Its a doddle of a mountain if you stick to the popular paths.

Soldato
That is a long old walk mate! I did a 14mile walk about 5/6 years ago for charity and that was beside a canal - entirely flat - and that was tough.

Still looking to go to Snowdon tomorrow night to climb it Saturday. Weather forecast really isn't saying "go, dont worry about it", so we'll have to see on the day if it's feesible.

Anybody else done it before in less-than-ideal conditions?

A friend and I have been on that mountain, covered in ice, blowing a blizzard with minimal visibility, traversing Crib Goch. I'm pretty sure we were the only people up there. It's one of the easiest mountains to climb, particularly because there are so many routes. If you found yourself in a touch of bother you can just pick an easier route to come down. Having said that the gales up there can be very dangerous. I have heard of a few seasoned hikers be blown off to their death off Crib Goch. So I'd suggest just stay safe if you aren't experienced. If it looks like it is too hairy at any time, don't be a hero and turn back.

Soldato
Yes many times, including last month. There isn't really any amount of snow at the top at the minute no need for crampons are the like, i had mine but didn't need to use them. Its no harder now than in the summer.

The Met Office is saying snow from 200m upwards for Snowdonia now! I might be able to get some decent snow hiking in on Sunday hopefully if it stays like that!

Soldato
Well, we managed Snowdon this weekend! It was one of the easier trails, the Pyg Track, but it was still tough due to the conditions and our lack of experience.

The trek up was difficult, extremely windy at the top, but coming back down the Llanberis path was just amazing. The clouds cleared so we could actually see something! On the way up we were just climbing through solid cloud, so couldn't see anything below us at all.

Video of the ascent, nearing 3000ft. Was quite difficult climbing and recording usable video when everything underfoot is icy. :p

Soldato
dsc8166c.jpg

dsc8307.jpg

That's me on the left in the blue, then me bro in the Jaegermeister hat and me mate Phil. First pic on the summit, second pic coming back down the Llanberis Path. Stunning scenery.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did a nice little walk yesterday. Went up Tryfan North Ridge, across to Glyder Fach and Glyder Fawr, over to Y Garn then doubled back to come down the Devils Kitchen. Conditions were a bit tricky in places coming down as the thin layer of snow wasn't enough for crampons but had made everything slippery as hell! The RAF helicopter seemed quite busy in the morning too!

Castell Y Gwynt on Glyder Fach..
IMG_1197.JPG

Looking across to Glyder Fawr..
IMG_1199.JPG

Anyone got any recommendations for GPS devices? Wristwatch style ones on the cheap?

I just use ViewRanger on my phone!

Soldato
^ I fell down Glyder Fach in similar conditions. It was my own fault, we wandered off the established track and I slipped down near vertical slopes some distance. I shouted something along the lines of "Fach" as I plummeted wishing I had an axe as opposed to just crampons. So scary, I've learnt since then!

It was awesome weather though, so clear!

Glyder Fach:
IMG_3834%20(Medium).JPG

Looking down Tryfan.
IMG_3827%20(Medium).JPG

Soldato
Wow.. I haven't seen it that clear there in a long time! Whenever I go I always seem to get the poor weather, last time I saw it that clear was back in the summer!

Soldato
OP
Does anyone here have any snowshoe experience?

It's looking like hiring some for the hike I'm doing with friends at the end of the month would be a good idea. However I'm not really familiar with the speed and distances you can expect to cover (depending on the type of snow too of course).

Soldato
Where you going?

Sad to see that people died this weekend gone at Glen Coe.

We're looking to do Ben Nevis at the end of July, so the weather will make it more pleasant/less dangerous ascent.

Associate
I want to do a fair bit of walking and wild camping this year. Need to get myself a stove, new boots and a few other bits and bobs but at least i have a decent (and light!) tent now.

This was my first wild camp up near borrowdale in Nov. Only did 2 days walking i'd like to do 3-4 next.
PojME.jpg

I reckon that stream would send me straight to sleep!

Back
Top Bottom