Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
I use a Sawyer water filter set up in a gravity feed arrangement, then I use a Steripen just to be on the safe side as I've been hit with stomach issues when camping in the past and it's never pretty. Since I've used that combination I've never had a problem, but a lot of people just go with the Sawyer water filter on its own.

My main water boiler is the titanium MSR Titan Kettle, I must have had it for maybe 14 years or so. They're not cheap but it will last a lifetime if you look after it. It perfectly fits a C250 gas cannister inside it with one of those tiny, titanium gas burner jobs as well. Tbh, I mainly use a Trangia these days so I get that and a mug and what have you inside the pot. There's lots of option on cooking system choices so have a look to see what others are using via Youtube and pick one that suits your needs and budget.

Backpack choice is probably the most important thing as having the right one makes such a difference to expedition enjoyment levels. I used to have a Lowe Alpine rucksack that was superb but just too heavy, so I tried the lightweight Osprey rucksacks, but found they all dug unto my hips, which is a known issue with Osprey rucksacks for some people. So I then tried a Gregory Zulu 65L backpack and it fit perfectly. It weights just over a kilo, iirc, I think the Lowe Alpine one was over 3 kilo, so quite a difference. Tbh, it's a hard one to answer really as everyone is different, obviously budget allowances too, but I would start with finding out how to measure your back and how the backpack should sit on your back properly, as it'll save you making a potentially expensive mistake. The thing with lots of compartments and features is they all add weight and weight is the enemy! :p You want everything inside dry sacks if you can, different colours help you grab the right one easily enough.

Although a lot of people do it, the general advice is to not strap anything to the outside of your pack (if you can help it) as it can get you into trouble, catching on things, etc, plus you run the risk of something dropping off and you not realising. 65L is a good choice for myself, for both summer and winter gear - I hate knackering myself out on a morning trying to squeeze everything back in! - but people do drop right down to 40L or lower, but again it depends on what you want.

I'll stop there, I could babble on for ages about this sort of stuff :p

Edit: That Berghaus backpack looks alright, it's 1.7Kg which isn't too bad (just noticed that that's what my backpack weighs, I honestly thought it was lighter than that). The shoulder straps look a little narrow for me but they might be fine for you. That type of padding on your back creates big wet patches, which may not be something you can live with. Have a look at the back system on the backpack I have... (scroll down to the bottom) https://eu.gregorypacks.com/uk-en/z...0#pages=4&start=34&cgid=trekking-backpacks-40

Last edited:
Don
Are there any specific types of sleeping bags and hiking gear that could work for a beginner?

Lots but it really depends on your budget :) It also depends what season you're going in.

For an air mattress, I really like these:

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-mat-D2424412.html

For a summer / early autumn hike something lightweight like this would work:

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/m...o-long-sleeping-bag-D2114045.html?colour=1907

For late autumn / spring, something like this:

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/mountain-hardwear-lamina-sleeping-bag-1c-D2224085.html?colour=105

Soldato
"Sleepingbagoutlet" is a good one to check. I picked up mine there and it's light and small and didn't cost the earth.
Alpkit do really good value mat's as well.

Soldato
@neoboy have a look at https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ (if you don't already).

I've never ordered anything from there as the prices are usually higher than elsewhere, but it's a good resource for seeing what's available if you're starting to look for lighter gear.

For now I'm just going to make do with what I've got and get a hang of this camping thing more, then upgrade the gear as I go along but will bookmark that for later.

Soldato
For now I'm just going to make do with what I've got and get a hang of this camping thing more, then upgrade the gear as I go along but will bookmark that for later.

Yeah, that's probably a good way to go, find the pros and cons of the gear you've got and work out what upgrades will give the best return.

Soldato
Although a lot of people do it, the general advice is to not strap anything to the outside of your pack (if you can help it) as it can get you into trouble, catching on things, etc, plus you run the risk of something dropping off and you not realising. 65L is a good choice for myself, for both summer and winter gear - I hate knackering myself out on a morning trying to squeeze everything back in! - but people do drop right down to 40L or lower, but again it depends on what you want.

My pet hate is having things rattling around on the outside of packs like some kind of DofE expedition! My mate had his brand new helmet strapped to the back of his pack when we were coming down off the Ben one winter. He slipped over on some ice and broke it in half. :cry:

Soldato
My pet hate is having things rattling around on the outside of packs like some kind of DofE expedition! My mate had his brand new helmet strapped to the back of his pack when we were coming down off the Ben one winter. He slipped over on some ice and broke it in half. :cry:

Yeah, that rattle and clanking of mugs and things strapped to the outside would get really annoying to me. I watched a video a while back of an elderly gent who had his very expensive tent strapped to the bottom of his pack. He fought all the way to the top of a really big hill in Scotland before he realised it wasn't there and had to go back down. He was very lucky though as he did manage to find it.

Speaking of things attached to the outside of backpacks, have you seen any females with a 'toilet' rag attached to the outside of their packs yet?

I don't know where that idea came from (probably the US) and I understand the pros but...

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, that's probably a good way to go, find the pros and cons of the gear you've got and work out what upgrades will give the best return.

Only thing I might need in the near future is a sleeping mat with some proper insulation for colder months, one I have now is essentially a summer one rated for 8c and above.

Soldato
Only thing I might need in the near future is a sleeping mat with some proper insulation for colder months, one I have now is essentially a summer one rated for 8c and above.

A good way to increase the thermal rating on summer mats without it hitting the pocket too much is to get some of that silver, thermal material you can use for car windscreens, the type with a dual layer of silver foil sandwiching a bubble wrap-type inner.

Cut it to the desired length/size/shape and then just use it underneath your summer mat.

You can use the same type of material for making your own pot-cozies and sit-mats.

Soldato
Yeah, a lot of people do it - I made one to go under my dog's blanket - they do make a difference.

People also use those £1.50 mylar survival blankets.

Soldato
Yeah always have one handy in colder months, just feels a little wasteful using one but then again I imagine I can get a few nights out of one before it disintegrates.

Soldato
I've been using an Exped DownMat for years. I've used it on glaciers, in the arctic circle and around the UK in winter. For the size and weight it's a great bit of kit although it wasn't particularly cheap.

Soldato
You can also use a normal closed-cell foam camping mat to help insulate your air mat. There's some which have a layer of foil on them similar to the car windscreen stuff to reflect the heat back at you.

The foam mat needs to go on top of the air mat though, not underneath. Air mats can be cooler because the air inside circulates around and moves the warmth from your body into the cold ground (but some have some insulation inside to stop this, like the DownMat @Street mentioned). Use the air mat for comfort and the foam on top of it to insulate.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Just got in from a wild camp above Windermere:-

198790152_10226496382654598_6227576404658406412_n.jpg

198828890_10226496382214587_4779001398726843828_n.jpg

199371835_10226496386294689_3389920021942610339_n.jpg

198851731_10226497156753950_8880235266361186154_n.jpg

Tried out the Lanshan 1 Plus for the first time - I'm impressed - 950g with a carbon pole. They mistakenly sent the summer J door but I've since recd the 4 season T door.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Second area to save a lot of space would be the cooking system, at the moment just have a cheap Chinese set from Amazon. Little stove thing is working just fine and the aluminium pots are ok, but awkward size that won't fit most of the regular sized gas canisters. Once I have to stack the gas canister on top then it's taking up a lot of space in the backpack so I'll start looking for a set of pots that allow a gas canister and stove to fit inside.

Soto Thermostack.

You can thank me later.

Soldato
I've been using a Klymit Static V insulated for years. Originally I was going to buy an Exped downmat, but reports of moisture from your breath possibly causing an issue with the down, and that pump bag thingy wasn't worth the risk for me.

Both my girlfriend and I were happy with the Static V, at 4,000m up on the Altiplano in Sandy, dry, cold and rocky terrain, but equally happy in more tropical climates. I think I paid about £60 from Amazon in Germany. That was years ago. Now they've changed the valve on it so it's quicker to deflate, and it's not for sale in Europe other than at stupid prices. My latest one was imported from Amazon in the US a few weeks ago. Came to around £80 or similar IIRC.

There is a Youtube video testing various ultra lightweight mats. The Static V is more middle of the road compared to some the more expensive options, but unlike many, it doesn't use super-thin and so noisy material. Still it only weighs around 570g.

Soldato
I've been using an Exped DownMat for years. I've used it on glaciers, in the arctic circle and around the UK in winter. For the size and weight it's a great bit of kit although it wasn't particularly cheap.
I use the Exped SynMat HL Winter LW and it's very good - I've definitely got my eye on the down version, though.

Good mats but, as you say, expensive and I think Neoboy is on a bit of a budget.
You can also use a normal closed-cell foam camping mat to help insulate your air mat. There's some which have a layer of foil on them similar to the car windscreen stuff to reflect the heat back at you.

The foam mat needs to go on top of the air mat though, not underneath. Air mats can be cooler because the air inside circulates around and moves the warmth from your body into the cold ground (but some have some insulation inside to stop this, like the DownMat @Street mentioned). Use the air mat for comfort and the foam on top of it to insulate.

The closed-cell mats definitely have their use, light and cheap, but for me, the bulk of them when folded or rolled isn't something I can work with.
Soto Thermostack.

You can thank me later.
Pros and cons and everybody's requirements are different, but for me, as a (usually) solo hiker/camper, that one is a bit heavy (310g) and a bit bulky (especially with the gas cannister sitting on top rather than inside), plus the plastic lid is a bad idea and there's no attached handles!

My pot and burner weigh 118g + 25g. I prefer using a Trangia to a gas stove (if circumstances allow), which completely negates any weight saving (I just love using a Trangia), but the option to go lightweight is there, I suppose the option to go lighter is there with the Soto too if you decide not to take every part of it.

I just think there's better options - lighter, cheaper, simpler and more practical to use.
I've been using a Klymit Static V insulated for years. Originally I was going to buy an Exped downmat, but reports of moisture from your breath possibly causing an issue with the down, and that pump bag thingy wasn't worth the risk for me.

Both my girlfriend and I were happy with the Static V, at 4,000m up on the Altiplano in Sandy, dry, cold and rocky terrain, but equally happy in more tropical climates. I think I paid about £60 from Amazon in Germany. That was years ago. Now they've changed the valve on it so it's quicker to deflate, and it's not for sale in Europe other than at stupid prices. My latest one was imported from Amazon in the US a few weeks ago. Came to around £80 or similar IIRC.

There is a Youtube video testing various ultra lightweight mats. The Static V is more middle of the road compared to some the more expensive options, but unlike many, it doesn't use super-thin and so noisy material. Still it only weighs around 570g.
The pump bag thingy works perfectly and is a total godsend (imo) - it only takes a minute and very little effort to inflate the mat, plus you can use it as a dry bag.

Afaik, using your own breath has potential to cause mould on any mat.

I have tried the Thermarest winter mats and they are very noisy, but I'm told that they get less noisy the more you use the mat. Dunno though, I went for the Exped instead.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Pros and cons and everybody's requirements are different, but for me, as a (usually) solo hiker/camper, that one is a bit heavy (310g) and a bit bulky (especially with the gas cannister sitting on top rather than inside), plus the plastic lid is a bad idea and there's no attached handles!

Sure, I get that. If I'm just boiling water for food then I usually just take a 450ml titanium pot, brs titanium stove and a 100g gas canister. But more often than not, I want to boil enough water for food AND a drink, then the soto is great - the pot cosy and insulated mug really make it worthwhile - all the pots except the inner are titanium so it's really not that heavy. The soto is my most used hiking cookset for those reasons (the side tabs on the lids are handles and work fine btw).

Good review on the set - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvtPfqMnpoo&t=436s&ab_channel=TheOutdoorGearReview

If it's only a short hike, say under a couple of miles then I might take a Tranigia knock off (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002989087906.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.c4de3c00t5XU0f&mp=1) with a titanium alcohol burner plus a gas burner if I want to do a proper cook (i.e. boil water in the knock of Trangia over alcohol and fry something on the gas stove. I like cooking on alcohol - far more relaxed and quiet (in fact, if I'm stealth camping I'll only take an alcohol burner).

TLDR - the Soto really has to be in your cookset armoury in addition to your super lightweight or more "complete" cooksets.

Back
Top Bottom