Hillsborough Disaster

Caporegime
FINALLY.

Justice for the 96. I hope it offers some peace to the families of those that lost their lives.

I hope it stops any 'debate' surrounding the events.

I firmly hope that there are repercussions for all who were involved, although I doubt any police will face any consequences.

Soldato
Finally some progress made, but I wonder if there will be any prosecutions now? From what we know so far it seems to be unclear what the next steps will be.

From the BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36138337

The CPS said: "In due course the CPS will formally consider whether any criminal charges should be brought against any individual or corporate body based upon all the available evidence."

Soldato
Kevin Williams asking for his mum at 1545 has completely nailed me today, I've heard it before but hearing it again today is just heartbreaking. Bless him and his late and extraordinary mother Anne.

Anne was right, the real iron lady.

RIP

Man of Honour
Finally some progress made, but I wonder if there will be any prosecutions now? From what we know so far it seems to be unclear what the next steps will be.

From the BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36138337

The CPS said: "In due course the CPS will formally consider whether any criminal charges should be brought against any individual or corporate body based upon all the available evidence."

More on the statements:

Sue Hemming, head of the special crime and counter terrorism at the CPS:

Following the inquest’s determinations the CPS team will continue to work closely with Operation Resolve and the IPCC as in due course, the CPS will formally consider whether any criminal charges should be brought against any individual or corporate body based upon all the available evidence, in accordance with the code for Crown Prosecutors.

We would ask that everyone is mindful of the continuing investigations and the potential for future criminal proceedings when reporting or publicly commenting on the inquest’s conclusions.

Deputy chair of the Independent Police Complains Commission, Rachel Cerfontyne:

The conclusion of the inquests is another milestone and a day when my thoughts are with the families and friends of those who died as a result of the disaster.

Now the inquests have ended our role in providing documents and other material to support the coroner is over. However the end of the inquests does not mark the end of the process.Our attention now focuses on concluding our criminal investigation into the aftermath of the disaster. This is by far the biggest and most complex investigation ever undertaken by the IPCC.

We have made significant progress on the investigation and we will continue to work closely with Operation Resolve and the Crown Prosecution Service to pursue our remaining lines of enquiry as quickly and as thoroughly as possible. I anticipate we will conclude the criminal investigations by the turn of the year.

As to prosecutions, the former police chief may face prosecution:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...vestigations-to-send-files-to-cps-by-year-end

Soldato
There shouldn't be a consider it should be a given they get punished

Will be interesting to see what happens I can't believe nobody will face criminal prosecution but that is for the CPS to decide once they have reviewed the evidence. For today that should all be put to one side the families have got what they have always wanted above anything else and that is the truth.

Caporegime
Have The Sun made a full apology in the years after?

They have already done that, back in 2012. I get the hate they should have apologised earlier but surely they just reported what the police told them. They reported as fact what the police told them. Would any paper do differently now?Unbelievable how long this has all taken.

Soldato
They have already done that, back in 2012. I get the hate they should have apologised earlier but surely they just reported what the police told them. They reported as fact what the police told them. Would any paper do differently now?Unbelievable how long this has all taken.

They knew full well they were talking nonsense and fabricating the truth. The headline "the truth" followed by a story with lines such as:

"The Truth.
Some fans picked pockets of victims
Some fans urinated on the brave cops
Some fans beat up PC giving kiss of life.”

As well as claiming a dead girl had been abused. All of this information given to them by an "unnamed" police officer...ok sure.

They are everything that is wrong with journalism.

Associate
They knew full well they were talking nonsense and fabricating the truth. The headline "the truth" followed by a story with lines such as:

"The Truth.
Some fans picked pockets of victims
Some fans urinated on the brave cops
Some fans beat up PC giving kiss of life.”

As well as claiming a dead girl had been abused. All of this information given to them by an "unnamed" police officer...ok sure.

They are everything that is wrong with journalism.
So true and that is why I myself like so many other Liverpool supporters hate that scum paper. I was in the Lepping lane stand and saw none of the above vile lies that paper claimed had been commited.

Caporegime
So true and that is why I myself like so many other Liverpool supporters hate that scum paper. I was in the Lepping lane stand and saw none of the above vile lies that paper claimed had been commited.

Yes but surely it's time to move on. None of the people that were at the paper at that time are still there and in charge. How long can you carry hate for? Do you have the German car manufacturers that supported the nazis during the Second World War or have you actually moved on.

They ****ed up, finally admitted it. The 'truth' is now known.

Soldato
Yes but surely it's time to move on. None of the people that were at the paper at that time are still there and in charge. How long can you carry hate for? Do you have the German car manufacturers that supported the nazis during the Second World War or have you actually moved on.

They ****ed up, finally admitted it. The 'truth' is now known.

Seeing the atrocities hardtarget must have seen on that day is not something you simply just "move on" from :rolleyes:. Your analogy comparing German cars completely sucks balls since i very much doubt any of us here lived through WW2.

Don
Can I ask why it bothers you so much that they're suing? They had their loved ones unlawfully taken from them, then were put through hell these last 27 years fighting against a smear campaign from a corrupt system. Don't they deserve everything they get?

Aren't you more annoyed how SYP spent £19m of tax payers money at the recent inquest, only to just tell the same lies again?

I hope and expect this is just the start. This action just relates to the cover-up that followed. I hope and expect they'll sue for far more for the actual disaster.

Soldato
I'm not a fan of the suing culture these days to start off with. Secondly, I have heard many many times how money was nothing to do with this. They have got their justice, their family are absolved of any blame and the guilty parties will be punished. It didn't take them long to turn.

And yes the money wasted already on this is annoying.

Don
I agree about the suing culture but I think this is slightly different. This isn't somebody slipping over in Tesco or burning themselves on an apple pie in McDonalds. This is 27 years of hell. I'm only guessing but this £20m probably doesn't cover the money the familes have spent on lawyers over the 27 years (personal money and donations), that's before you look at the personal costs - broken marriages, sickenss and even deaths linked to the stress that followed. *Remember this action isn't even related to the disaster because you can't put a price on the loss of a family member.

Whether they said it's not about the money, and they still are saying that - it's about the accountability, I don't care whether that's true or not, they deserve £200m, not £20m.

Soldato
I'm not so sure it's different. This is not just to cover legal costs which I wouldn't have a problem with. It's taking even more money out of services which need it for something that happened a long time ago.

EDIT

I'm not trying to say because it was ages ago it doesn't matter by the way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom