Hip-hop thread

Soldato
There's a lack of hip-hop threads in here so thought I'd make a place to share recommendations for artists/tracks. It doesn't matter if it's old or new; if you like it then post it :) No crunk or pop **** though!

I recently discovered a group called Cyne. Some of the best hip-hop I've heard and their albums are really consistent. They have an old school flavour but are actually a (relatively) new group. See if you like them :)

I'm quite liking Flying Lotus at the moment, I can't post youtube vids tho as I don't have flash on my computer right now... :(

Also, Tha Carter III by Lil' Wayne is worth a listen.

Toddla T's album should be out now also if you want some homegrown stuff, even if it isn't all hip-hop...

I'm quite liking Flying Lotus at the moment

Just listened to some of their stuff on youtube. Some brilliant instrumentals.

Also, Tha Carter III by Lil' Wayne is worth a listen.

I can't say I'm a fan of Lil' Wayne. I find he has an annoying voice and I really don't feel his flow.

Toddla T's album should be out now also if you want some homegrown stuff, even if it isn't all hip-hop...

Cheers, I'll check it out :)

Get flash and check out some Cyne tunes dude :)

I can't say I'm a fan of Lil' Wayne. I find he has an annoying voice and I really don't feel his flow.

I was much the same with him but after visiting Canada last yr, my bro loves his stuff so i got hooked on him and he has a very distinct style of rapping. not to everyones taste but hes popular for a reason...whatever that reason maybe.

Never heard of Little Brother before. I just checked out a few tunes on youtube, great sound.
Early 9th Wonder production is why. He's split from LB now and has a little too much celebrity producer status for my tastes, but still does some good work.

Phonte and Rapper Big Pooh have done a few good side projects also, Foreign Exchange (Phonte and Nicolay) for example.

RTM'd this thread for a merger btw, hopefully we can keep the old one alive :)

Back in the early 80's I was a huge fan of the New York scene, Afrika Bambataa, Soulsonic Four (Or Force, I can never remember :p ), Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel, the real creators of the genre. Films like Beat Street were awesome for the music. Somehow I cant get as excited about modern hip hip and rap, doesn't seem to have the same soul, not saying thats a bad thing, it could be that the time has passed for the older stuff, it's just very different...

I cant get as excited about modern hip hip and rap, doesn't seem to have the same soul, not saying thats a bad thing, it could be that the time has passed for the older stuff, it's just very different...
My thoughts exactly. I think it's a real shame what passes as Hip Hop these days, it's a dying or even dead artform in 9 out of 10 cases.

The early/mid-90's hit the nail on the head for me: early Nas and Wu Tang, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, The Roots, early Mobb Deep, and first few Common albums (to name but a few) are true hip hop to me.

The more modern artists aren't even in the same league, and they've all but forgotten the elements that made the genré so appealing in the first place.

Someone needs to mention Mr. Lif. His modern lyrics are socially aware, political etc, I dunno, he's probably my favourite modern rapper.

Here's a link to the mix tape that accompanied his new album (I heard it today), it's free and was released on the interwebs by Lif. Download it, it's great (great flying lotus freestyle track, lots of good tracks);

http://www.mediafire.com/?jzmkyolwd5z

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom