Hip-hop thread

Soldato
OP
The early/mid-90's hit the nail on the head for me: early Nas and Wu Tang, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, The Roots, early Mobb Deep, and first few Common albums (to name but a few) are true hip hop to me.

Those are some of my favourite artists. On the most part I would agree true hip-hop went away a long time ago but there's still groups out there doing it well :) Not liking the Cyne tunes?

Those cyne tunes on the OP are awesome, I've never heard of these guys, very chilled beats :)
/pops off down to hmv

Genially glad you like it :) I love introducing people to artists they enjoy.

Keep the tunes coming :D

Soldato
Those are some of my favourite artists. On the most part I would agree true hip-hop went away a long time ago but there's still groups out there doing it well :) Not liking the Cyne tunes?
They're not toooooooooo bad I guess, I can't say I'm that fussed either though. They sound a bit like the kind of amateur hip-hop you get on BMX/skate videos where they're pimping their mate's tracks though.

Just been back through my HH collection (been listening to lots of DnB recently) and found some more oldies I need to re-visit:

Redman (his first few albums are arguably the best I've ever heard)
Gangstarr
The Pharcyde
early Mos Def & Kweli (not oldies I know but they're both awful now compared to 10 years ago)

Associate
Loving the shower cap while he's driving around, what's that about.

Anyway reminiscing is all well and good, but how about Rza dropping a new Wu Tang album next week..

Or a new Blaq Poet album with Premo going hard on production (also out next week)..

Real Hip-Hop's still alive and thriving, you just need to look beyond all the ring-tone rap and trash that gets attention.

Associate
there was a song I heard a few times on the radio a few months back...it sounded like british rapp that had a kindoff breakbeat baseline. I think it contained the phrase 'how does it feel'...and mentions london a few times. Any ideas who this is????

Soldato
...how about Rza dropping a new Wu Tang album next week...
If his last few Wu efforts are anything to go by I won't be rushing out to HMV.

36 Chambers is a work of art, and there are plenty of quality tracks on Wu Forever. The early Wu solo albums are decent too, GZA, Raekwon and Meth especially.

Associate
If his last few Wu efforts are anything to go by I won't be rushing out to HMV.
Considering the album announcement came out of nowhere that's how most people have reacted, but so far the stuff that's leaked has been decent. Here's hoping the complete album isn't a disappointment.

PS. how do you embed YouTube vids here? I copied the embed text from the site but it didn't work, does it need amending once it's copied?
[/php]

Which becomes..

Soldato
Wicked, cheers. Will check that track out when I get home.

Ghostface is another fallen great. His first two solo albums are immense, especially Supreme Clientele, but the stuff he's knocked out since then is woeful.

Soldato
36 chambers is amazing. Wu tang forever is good.

ODBs debut album is amazing.

Cuban Linx, Supreme Clientele, Liquid Swords and Bobby digital in Stereo are all amazing, the others I can take or leave but I did quite like Pro tools and Digi Snacks recently but 8 diagrams was a bit naff, i think Rza put more effort into the Afro Samurai soundtrack.

Really liking Army of the Pharaohs at the moment.

seems to capture some of that old school magic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom