Hip-hop thread

Soldato
Not my cup of tea but sounds like he had some journey coming from a severe illness which I respect.

In general there are very few UK Hip Hop artists that I truly rate. Four Owls, Nextmen and The London Posse are the first collectives that come to mind.
We have tonnes of super talented MCs and I love watching them do their thing either Fire in the Booth or the old F64 videos but 'UK Hip Hop' always seems to miss something for me.
Give them a grime beat though and I'll watch them go to work.

Do really enjoy this though

Soldato

NVP

NVP

Soldato
'UK Hip Hop'

I guess it all comes down to your definition of hip-hop. If you adhere to the classical definition then UK artists are a bit niche, and honestly not that good. Whereas, if you look at the styles of music encompassed under modern hip-hop, you'll find some real talent.

Soldato
I guess it all comes down to your definition of hip-hop. If you adhere to the classical definition then UK artists are a bit niche, and honestly not that good. Whereas, if you look at the styles of music encompassed under modern hip-hop, you'll find some real talent.
As I said, there are tonnes of really, really talented UK MCs I just tend to prefer American artists for the sound I'm looking for. Though I truly believe our best lyricists can go bar-for-bar with the Americans. It's just a different delivery and if your ears are tuned to one type, it's hard to get to the other.

But it's hard to look past some of my favourite names on these shores; Rodney P, Roots Manuva, Sway, Ty (rip) and Black Twang. I'm even going to claim both MF Doom and Slick Rick. All certified legends.

I'm not a huge 'grime' aficionado but people like Dizzee, Wiley, D Double E, Ghetts, Kano, Wretch 32 and P Money I've always enjoyed. Plus the conscious guys like Akala and Lowkey

I'm also onboard with some of the 'new' generation. I don't need to say anything about Dave, Stomrzy is exceptional ('Mel Made Me Do It' is nothing but genius), I really rate Ocean Wisdom and Loyle Carner at the moment. I wanted to dislike Central Cee and while I'm not a huge fan of his, I did enjoy his LA Leakers freestyle

Yet despite all of this quality and I suppose more relatable content as they come from the same island... I still find myself perpetually stuck in 90s East/West coast rap with a trip down to Atlanta.

IT AINT NO FUN, IF THE HOMIES CAN HAVE NONE

NVP

NVP

Soldato
IQNDvxk.gif

isn't it "can't" ?? :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
IQNDvxk.gif

isn't it "can't" ?? :cry:
Probably. I got a bit excited with the song in my head haha.

"you're listening to the jack off hour and this is DJ eaaaaaaaasy dick"
Gets me every time lol

Edit:

My parenting is going to be under questioning soon though. I refuse to have my daughter growing up not knowing the classics so she's getting educated. The first ever cassette I bought as a kid was Bone Thugs n Harmony 'Tha Crossroads'. If hip hop was good enough for me at 6 it's good enough for her.
TaNKV8b.jpg

Last edited:

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Not my cup of tea but sounds like he had some journey coming from a severe illness which I respect.

In general there are very few UK Hip Hop artists that I truly rate. Four Owls, Nextmen and The London Posse are the first collectives that come to mind.

Are you forgetting Jehst, Braintax, Skinnyman, Klashnekoff, Scorzayzee perhaps? Not even a mention for Foreign Beggars. The list goes on.

Think we're getting confused on what hip-hop is lads.

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato

I think we're less confused than you are outdated. Take The Source, it wasn't just cover to cover old school Kool Mo Dee, Sugarhill Gang or Doug E Fresh for the last few decades...

Gee

Gee

Soldato
I think we're less confused than you are outdated. Take The Source, it wasn't just cover to cover old school Kool Mo Dee, Sugarhill Gang or Doug E Fresh for the last few decades...

Been posting nothing but certified heat in this thread since 2017. Not some half-wit Welsh **** with some div on a Fisher-Price keyboard on production. Call yourself a hip hop fan?

You'll be saying Lil Yachty is a better lyricist than Big Pun next :cry:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
"Certified heat" is definitely subjective :cry: And if you're referring to my Ren post above, it was a reply to a conversation about the artist - perhaps your reading/comprehension skills need more heat?

Regarding your final retort, I'm perplexed. I simply stated how hip-hop has moved on, so I'm not sure why the need for the defensive lash-out. :confused:

Soldato
Are you forgetting Jehst, Braintax, Skinnyman, Klashnekoff, Scorzayzee perhaps? Not even a mention for Foreign Beggars. The list goes on.

I certainly forgot about Jehst, Skinnyman and Klashnekoff. Again, all very good but I, rarely if ever, feel like putting on a UK album whereas I'll often be reaching for a 90s East or West coast album almost daily. KRS One 'I got Next' was my commute soundtrack this morning

I actually really rate FB and was quite sad when one of the members passed away as they were always good live but for me as good as our collectives our, they don't hit me the same way American hip hop does.

I'll always respect Rodney P/London Posse and that era for giving UK Hip hop it's own sound and not being a corny copy of American hip hop but for me, they just do it better.

To paraphrase KRS One.

I'm not saying US Hip Hop I'm Number 1.
Oops, I'm sorry. I lied.
Theyr're I'm number 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Soldato
Andre 3000 stuck in some chillwave woodwind psychedelia :cry:

Suddenly this skit doesn't seem so wild. Love 3 stacks and the recent few verses he's been putting out (he's on Michael and on the last Goodie Mob album it's the closest we'll get to Outkast as both he and Big Boi are on it but on seperate tracks) but my lord the guy is a loop. What did Erikah do to him

Soldato
He was always a loop! :cry:

He did a GQ interview, watch that - you may understand his place a bit more. Will grab the link...

I'll have a listen to this on my way home. He just gives off such strong 'artist' vibes.

We should've always seen this album coming though. He's always been a bit left field but you have to respect that he knows who he is in this game and he isn't changing for anyone. Love to see it.

I've been in a real boom-bap mood recently. Really enjoying going over older KRS albums and I'll never really quite get how more people out of hiphop heads don't recognise just how special he is.

Benefit of traffic yesterday was that I listened to the Gang Starr 'One of the best yet' which I hadn't done in a year or so... I really mis Guru and his smooth voice.

Last edited:
Reactions: NVP

NVP

NVP

Soldato
AZ has dropped a new album out of nowhere....

Back
Top Bottom