Hive, really??

Associate
Reading the Hive install manual again, is it possible that my system is gravity fed/part pumped and thus the receiver needs to be set to operate in a different mode?

How would I determine if my system was part pumped as opposed to fully pumped?

Also would running a part pumped system with a Hive on fully pumped mode cause the above issues... i.e. the temperature gradient limitation kicking in?

Thanks

Associate
If it were gravity you would have a pump and no diverter valves. You have one pump and two diverter valves. One for the heating and the other for hot water. So it is a fully pumped s-plan system.

Not sure why it didn't work last time as a quick glance at the picture of the wiring it looked correct. As mentioned try again and check through the working in sequence.

Edit: The temperature gradient symbol would be a E9 fault if it happened during normal operation rather than Syphon filling mode. Possibly pump related/wiring to the pump. If it's not happened since being wired back it should be nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Associate
Well thanks for the help so far guys.

I tried reinstalling the system today doing the same thing as before.... and now it works without any temperature gradient issues. So not sure what was going wrong before presumably I made some form of error before!

One thing that I did notice is that when the heating is on the A->B valve moves fully from A to B with an audible motor whir.

With the hot water however, the valve seems to be 75% over towards B when the water is off and moves silently across to B when the water is on. So the range of travel is much shorter than the valve for the heating.

Does this indicate an issue with the valve?

Thanks again!

Associate
Well thanks for the help so far guys.

I tried reinstalling the system today doing the same thing as before.... and now it works without any temperature gradient issues. So not sure what was going wrong before presumably I made some form of error before!

One thing that I did notice is that when the heating is on the A->B valve moves fully from A to B with an audible motor whir.

With the hot water however, the valve seems to be 75% over towards B when the water is off and moves silently across to B when the water is on. So the range of travel is much shorter than the valve for the heating.

Does this indicate an issue with the valve?

Thanks again!

Looks like the metal valve under the motor was tight and not closing properly, so heat was being diverted to the hot water all of the time!

Associate
Looking for help. I have a Baxi duo tec 24 Combi currently linked with a salus rt500rf reciever and wireless stat.

I managed to buy a dual channel hive and was still hoping to wire this up without faffing go have a single channel hive.

Question is this. How to a wire up the dual channel on a Combi? The current recover has NO, COM, L and N. I am confused about what to do with the COM connection. Do I wire it in and to which terminal, or do I disconnect and isolate the cable on both the hive and boiler? Boiler seems to indicate two wires needing connect :S

Soldato
Remove the existing control wiring from your boiler and discard the existing controls and backplate. Only leave LNE from the 3A spur to the boiler.
From the same 3A spur connect the Hive backplate LNE.
Wire up Backplate terminal 4 to Boiler terminal Bk1.
If you want to follow the boiler manual, then wire the Hive L to BK2 at the boiler, and not the 3A spur.

Mick

Caporegime
I managed to snag a hive thermostat for both heating and hot water yesterday from Screwfix live down in farnborough. Got it for a grand total of £75, huge savings from what Screwfix sell them normally at c

Also helps that a friend of mine works for Screwfix as a store manager and used his staff discount.

Now I just have to get around to installing it or getting my plumber to come round to do it as I have no idea how to wire the whole thing up. I have a Worcester Bosch combi boiler and a mega flow hot water tank. I know BG do a hive plan but not going to pay them a monthly sub for that.
Might give them a call to see if they do just installs as I’m a BG customer for electricity.

Soldato
I managed to snag a hive thermostat for both heating and hot water yesterday from Screwfix live down in farnborough. Got it for a grand total of £75, huge savings from what Screwfix sell them normally at c

Also helps that a friend of mine works for Screwfix as a store manager and used his staff discount.

Now I just have to get around to installing it or getting my plumber to come round to do it as I have no idea how to wire the whole thing up. I have a Worcester Bosch combi boiler and a mega flow hot water tank. I know BG do a hive plan but not going to pay them a monthly sub for that.
Might give them a call to see if they do just installs as I’m a BG customer for electricity.

I think they charge 120 for installation usually. I got the recent deal for £125 inc installation which is being done by Bg on Thursday

Caporegime
I think they charge 120 for installation usually. I got the recent deal for £125 inc installation which is being done by Bg on Thursday
I rung them up and they said £100 for installation of the hive.

Going to check with a couple of plumbers and see what price they will install at. But probably go with BG in the end I imagine.

Soldato
i have a Worcester Bosch combi boiler without a tank and installed it myself, was a straight swap with the previous bog standard british gas wireless recevier, literally took a minute to do. Have you seen if you can do the same, im no expert but you may not actually need to do any wiring.

Last edited:
Soldato
I rung them up and they said £100 for installation of the hive.

Going to check with a couple of plumbers and see what price they will install at. But probably go with BG in the end I imagine.

If you have an existing thermostat I believe it is very straightforward, we don’t have a thermostat at all so needed the installation really as I’m not playing around with boiler wires.

Find a smart home engineer too they may come out cheaper than a plumber.

Caporegime
Hmm I’ll look into it. I have a programmer and thermostat so have been looking at some guides but I’m not that clued up on wiring the hub part of the hive system ie the one you put close to the boiler. Plus the person who did my boiler and hot water tank, not really sure how he had it wired up.

Associate
So I'm looking to try and install Hive.

I understand the dual channel receiver is a straight swap for the Drayton LP822, I know I need to remove the wiring for the WR1 from junction box but I don't know if I need to make any other changes within the junction box for it to work.

LmXspY0.jpg ExslHTT.jpg MXhJgfK.jpg KTwzniR.jpg

Soldato
Went to install my hive and saw that the original wiring was still being used... Complete and utter mess, choc blocks everywhere, no sleeving.

Ended up tearing it all out, back to bare and starting fresh. Managed to wire an entire s plan back up, renewed wiring ditching chocblocks with current colours and sleeved control wires and labelled up nicely.

Very happy with the hive so far! Just wishing I bought more from Screwfix live...

Associate
Hello I am new on here so apologies if I have jumped in or breached any etiquette. I am wanting to installa hive thermostat I currently have a wired Siemens receiver which works off a wireless thermostat I am hoping it would be a straight swop. The current system has a live neutral and a switch wire back to the boiler, with the common linked from the live feed inside the receiver.. my question is could I do a straight swop without any additional wiring or having to alter the wiring at the boiler end... thanks

Associate
i had the same receiver and it was a straight swap - very easy

is that your thermostat 5cm from the receiver???

Was this in reply to my pictures?
If it was then no, there's the programmer and receiver one above the other.

Which the Hive receiver replaces the programmer and the old receiver needs removing. Just not sure if it will work just by removing the receiver cabling.

Associate
yes

bin the porgrammer

replace the wiring wall plate with the hive one - wiring should be the very similar if not the same from memory and job done

Don
Hi guys,

I've been reading this thread and it's started to sink in how little I understand my hot water/underfloor heating setup. So what I've done is take photos in the vain hope you kind people will let me know if I can or cant enjoy something slightly more intelligent than the god awful thermostats I currently look at but cannot get to work.....

any and all help and assistance is very much appreciated in advance:

BHARcNQl.jpg
O1CDrPtl.jpg
Fys6umdl.jpg
ZNhrRfNl.jpg
lkAITlql.jpg
mhKEMrFl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom