HL3 - Episode 3 'Leak' by lead writer

Why would anyone play a game they already know the story to?

Especially a story-driven game... it's so plausible a story considering the artwork released a good few years ago for Ep3, that it's likely the footnotes that the guy had and got bored of the questions.

There does seem to be a lot of "traitors" leaving valve's awkward structure of late, they've become complacent and lazy, i wouldn't be surprised if they did eventually start working on it if only to hype their company again.

All this time I've never played either 1 or 2, might have looked at it but the graphics are too dated now.

Wrong. HL1 should get soon final release of Black Mesa, full remake that looks beautiful graphically.
And HL2 has HL 2 Update:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/290930/HalfLife_2_Update

Which very subtly improves many aspects incl. graphics. The game has a very timeless look that will never really look dated.

OR

Maybe this is all a long con and Valve have been working at it all along, and this "leak" is on the same levels as the latest Samsung Galaxy phone "accidentally leaking" on the internet.

I want to believe.
I had considered this. Watch all the haters squirm as it gets mentioned. A great way to break the Internets!

I'd have been annoyed with that ending, I remember being infuriated by Half-Life 2's ending before we knew we were getting Episodes and it's not all that different.

Isn't it obvious? With Valve making so much money selling 3rd party games and Hats/Skins with TF2/CS:GO and the like why would they even want to bother making games? Fat man (Newell) is probably loving his Russian women right now next to the pool like a drug kingpin!

This has turned into a bit of a Duke Nukem Forever unfortunately. If it did ever come out, would it now will feel like too long has gone by to appreciate where it left off, and if the project was restarted multiple times, would the end product now be a disappointment? I feel what happened with EP3 has been exactly like DNF. I think the project started and then lost its way for various different reasons. I even believe Valve got new teams to work on it and wasn't happy with the work. This is why Gabe doesn't share an ounce of enthusiasm anymore about it, in fact he asks people not to ask him anymore, whereas before he was quite happy to say it was in the works.

Sadly, I feel that Valve, and I hope they prove me wrong, are just a platform for games now through Steam, and all the work they do now is updates for csgo and tf2 which gives them a steady income. I think they appear quite happy & content continuing like that for the foreseeable future, as they have expressed little desire to really do more than that, and this has been going on a good few years now.

There's a reddit thread about this at present, and I cannot believe how entitled folks are about all of this. The Valve pitchfork squad is in full motion over a game! Folks are forgetting that they are a business for the most part now and just thinking that they're owed so much.

On the gaming end of things, I found Hl2 medicore at best. Great engine, poor npc ai, rubbish sounding weapons excluding the shotty and boring levels excluding Ravenholme. Episode 1 did nothing for me but Episode 2 was a lot more exciting. HL1 bettered the lot of them.

Not really. Half life and its associated mods made Valve the money and fame to become who they are.

The refusal to finish what they started was always a bit of a slap in the face...

I can't think of many other successful companies that have started a story and not finished it. Shen Mue is the only other one I can think of but that was a flop commercially. I can understand people being annoyed that Valve won't finish the story. Even if they had no intention of making another Half Life they could have found another way to finish the story. Hell they've done some awesome comics for dota, tf2, l4d etc. They could continue the story that way.

I can't think of many other successful companies that have started a story and not finished it. Shen Mue is the only other one I can think of but that was a flop commercially. I can understand people being annoyed that Valve won't finish the story. Even if they had no intention of making another Half Life they could have found another way to finish the story. Hell they've done some awesome comics for dota, tf2, l4d etc. They could continue the story that way.

Or they could have just told us years ago that they have no intention of making it, rather than keeping silent. I think that's what annoys most people tbh.

It may be slightly childish of me and even more so difficult given their prominence in the gaming industry but when possible I avoid giving Valve money or using their platform when possible due to the apathy they have shown on this front.

But you never know, Gabe is in his mid 50’s now? And not exactly a healthy man, maybe his successor will take the company down a different path.

I don't even care anymore, only enough to write this.
IMO HL2 was vastly overrated and although I will likely play HL3 when/if it comes out, I'm certainly clear of the hype train.
Overrated isn't actually a real thing. It's just a euphemistic way of saying "I don't like something that is popular."

Why would anyone play a game they already know the story to?

Especially a story-driven game... it's so plausible a story considering the artwork released a good few years ago for Ep3, that it's likely the footnotes that the guy had and got bored of the questions.

There does seem to be a lot of "traitors" leaving valve's awkward structure of late, they've become complacent and lazy, i wouldn't be surprised if they did eventually start working on it if only to hype their company again.

So you don't understand why people would replay a game they've already completed?

Good on him for writing this. It's a shame this plot never had the opportunity to be delivered in a game, but at least reading it brings some closure to the story. It sounds like it would have been an excellent episode 3.

Good on him for writing this. It's a shame this plot never had the opportunity to be delivered in a game, but at least reading it brings some closure to the story. It sounds like it would have been an excellent episode 3.

But what happens to Alyx??? :(

She's the next "right person in the right place, making the dif-er-ence". Freeman wasn't unique, insomuch as G-Man just needs a pawn to achieve his ends. Gordon's purpose was to start the events of HL1, the Combine invasion and subsequent 7 Hour War then his conclusion was "piloting" the Borealis into the Combine staging ground. With that completed, G-Man takes Alyx presumably as a hook into the next installment. It was only the Vortigants that stood in the way and rescued Freeman from the end, and to give the player a view of how insignificant the actions where in the grand scheme of things.

This in mind, Valve did have plans at some stage to complete the HL2 episodic arc and start a new one with HL3.

Back
Top Bottom