Hmm? Games Jerk (Make a better title next time)

Soldato
Hmm? Games Jerk

Well i have a new pc in the post, because my pc developed an anoyin problem, when i play a game it jerks (Freezes and then unfreezes) every few seconds, and it was quite anoying

To fix it i tried:

Different Hard drive
Different Memory
Different Graphics Card
Removing All PCI Cards

No good at all, i also reinstalled windows 4 times with no luck

Now i was quite happy accepting that i couldent fix it... but today i have noticed that it is jerky in games like

Oblivion
Morrowind
Battlefield 2

But not in games like

Tomb Raider Legends
Star Wars Galaxies

ANyone got any ideas?

Last edited:
Associate
Well you say it only happens in BF2/Oblivion which are incredibly demanding games and doesn't happen in other games. I think it's simply a case of your rig not being powerful enough for them games. Even the top end cards "struggle" with Oblivion unless you crossfire/sli :eek:

Soldato
OP
Explicit said:
Well you say it only happens in BF2/Oblivion which are incredibly demanding games and doesn't happen in other games. I think it's simply a case of your rig not being powerful enough for them games. Even the top end cards "struggle" with Oblivion unless you crossfire/sli :eek:

Well i could agree with you, but it happens in morrowind, and i played bf2 maxed settings perfect for months then it developed this problem, and oblivion ran perfect for 3 days and then started jerking

Associate
Explicit said:

It can't be that cos I run BF2 and look at my spec!

Associate
Its proabably a combination of things, another GB of RAM would smooth things upa a LOT All those games are RAM demanding and if you have anything much running in the background. GFX card wise, SM3 is used in oblivion, so you ATi might not be liking that.

Permabanned
brightside_ said:
Its proabably a combination of things, another GB of RAM would smooth things upa a LOT All those games are RAM demanding and if you have anything much running in the background. GFX card wise, SM3 is used in oblivion, so you ATi might not be liking that.

He said it ran fine before so its not going to be underspecced hardware.
One of my mates has the same problem and we cant find how to fix it :confused:

MC_Bob

Soldato
OP
mc_bob said:
He said it ran fine before so its not going to be underspecced hardware.
One of my mates has the same problem and we cant find how to fix it :confused:

MC_Bob

Hmm this is an odd problem.... i hope my new pc fixes it cuz i dont wanna spend 2grand to have the same problem :confused:

Soldato
You need a lot more Ram. 2GB would be ideal. Over time any XP build consumes more system memory and can slow down due to the longer IE history & more files to keep track of.

Have you defragged your HD if not that is also something to do as a badly fragmented HD can kill even the faster PC ever due to the HD head being asked to visit several different sectors for a single file etc etc.

I defrag all my HDs every few days using perfect disk and it does make a difference if its not done every week.

Associate
A simple test is to see if your HDD activity LED flickers during these “jumps”

If so it’s a good indicator that it’s been forced to page out due to lack of available memory.

And 1GB is more then enough to play BF2, just not on full hyper quality.

Soldato
OP
AWPC said:
You need a lot more Ram. 2GB would be ideal. Over time any XP build consumes more system memory and can slow down due to the longer IE history & more files to keep track of.

Have you defragged your HD if not that is also something to do as a badly fragmented HD can kill even the faster PC ever due to the HD head being asked to visit several different sectors for a single file etc etc.

I defrag all my HDs every few days using perfect disk and it does make a difference if its not done every week.

I have defraged, i dont use IE, i have formated 4 times in one week and tried 3 hard drives

Associate
That problem sounds like crap RAM to me.
If it was the card then you would get FPS lag like slowwwwwwwww lol.
I suppose it COULD be the CPU but that speed sounds fine to me :confused:

I would say RAM because i have this problem on doom3 when goin through doors etc, it is because the data needed to get through the door is not 'readily available' to the game because of lack of RAM. (hope that makes sense ! lol)

Associate
1gb of ram is enough. yes 2gb is better obviously, but 1gb should run those games fine.

if you reinstalled windowsand it still happens it must be a hardware problem of some sort. 2 grand on an entirely new pc is a bit drastic!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
AMDX23800+ said:
That problem sounds like crap RAM to me.
If it was the card then you would get FPS lag like slowwwwwwwww lol.
I suppose it COULD be the CPU but that speed sounds fine to me :confused:

I would say RAM because i have this problem on doom3 when goin through doors etc, it is because the data needed to get through the door is not 'readily available' to the game because of lack of RAM. (hope that makes sense ! lol)

I haved tried 2 different lots of 1GB memory, both have the same problem i have also run memtest for a few hours with no problems

AMDX23800+ said:
If this problem suddenly popped out from no where then do a 'MEMORY TEST' to make sure that your ram hasn't 'died' lol.

Back
Top Bottom