Hmm? Games Jerk (Make a better title next time)

Soldato
OP
G00SE said:
1gb of ram is enough. yes 2gb is better obviously, but 1gb should run those games fine.

if you reinstalled windowsand it still happens it must be a hardware problem of some sort. 2 grand on an entirely new pc is a bit drastic!!

Well it was either that or spend £700 on new ram, hard drives and monitor.... works out better for the 2k i know non of my bad componants will be in it

Associate
Could it be spyware or some other evil app running while you play? Done a scan for viruses?

My PC runs Oblivion fine 90% of the time, but there are times the frame rate jerks down to about 15fps.. this is on max settings though.

My PC: Opt 144 @ 2560, 1Gb Ram, Geforce 7800 GT @ 455/1170

Associate
Rightio, I jsut noticed in one of your posts that you said you played BF2 maxed. That's a load of codswallop tbh, I can't play BF2 fully maxed on my comp, and it's a couple of generations newer.

There are three options for it being jerky, thats RAM, CPU or motherboard. Simple as that. It won't be the windows install or the HD as you said you've checked them repetatively.

How high are you putting the settings on these games? what monitor are you using and what size, e.g 1280x1024 ?

Soldato
OP
brightside_ said:
Rightio, I jsut noticed in one of your posts that you said you played BF2 maxed. That's a load of codswallop tbh, I can't play BF2 fully maxed on my comp, and it's a couple of generations newer.

There are three options for it being jerky, thats RAM, CPU or motherboard. Simple as that. It won't be the windows install or the HD as you said you've checked them repetatively.

How high are you putting the settings on these games? what monitor are you using and what size, e.g 1280x1024 ?
heh well you come here and tell me its codswolopt im using a 1024x768 monitor, with all details set to max and 16AF and it use to run beutifull

Associate
jcb33 said:
Well it was either that or spend £700 on new ram, hard drives and monitor.... works out better for the 2k i know non of my bad componants will be in it

u obviously don't need new ram, monitor or hard drives though?

got to be motherboard or cpu!! :confused: :confused:

Associate
Mate, you can't be serious. I ran a Opteron 144@ 2.7GHz, 6800GS and a gig of RAM, 1024x768 on a 17" CRT and I couldn't max.

If your trying to run high settings with that spec, that is the sole reason you are skipping. put it down to medium or low, you don't have enough RAM, and your GFX card hasn't got the power to run BF2 at max AF is bog standard now. Stop kidding yourself.

Last edited:
Permabanned
brightside_ said:
Mate, you can't be serious. I ran a Opteron 144@ 2.7GHz, 6800GS and a gig of RAM, 1024x768 on a 17" CRT and I couldn't max.

If your trying to run high settings with that spec, that is the sole reason you are skipping. put it down to medium or low, you don't have enough RAM, and your GFX card hasn't got the power to run BF2 at max AF is bog standard now. Stop kidding yourself.

Agreed.
Just give it a go and post the results you get.

MC_Bob

Associate
Last time I checked in BF2 you cannot set the AF at all. You can only choose so set the AA to x4.

Now i have no experience with ATI drivers but i do know that in the nvidia forceware you can set the AF and AA for the BF2 profile. But because of the games limitations i do not believe they actually work. Maybe they do?

Soldato
OP
G00SE said:
u obviously don't need new ram, monitor or hard drives though?

got to be motherboard or cpu!! :confused: :confused:

Ram:

People in this post seem to be telling me i need 2GB's therefore i would need to spend £200 to get a decent set of 2GB Ram

Hard Drives:

My main drive just died, and i dont trust my backup as i got it at the same time and its the same make, therefore i would need to get 2 new hard drives, and i mares well get decent size hard drives so that would be another £200

Monitor:

I have been thinking of getting a TFT to replace my CRT for a while now, and was just about to anyway when all this happend so that would be £300 for a decent one

£700

Plus if i had to replace Motherboard and CPU..... well my graphics is agp so i would have to replace that to PCI-E.... and if i could find a decent Socket A setup that would still be around £120 so thats £820 and my problem still might exist

Meths said:
Make sure your hard drive has enough free space and buy more ram.

Errr i have 21GBs free is that enough? well thats on the drive its installed on

Associate
jcb33 said:
As i have already stated several times, weather i am on min, med, or max settings i gain the same results

Sorry mate, you never said anything of the sort, and don't go and edit one of your posts now to make it look like I'm lying. If you'd said that people might have reacted differently to what you were saying.

Either way I still stand by my case. I'm not trying to lord it over you because I have a better rig, simply trying to help you. Ignore me all you want, it's not going to help your rig work on the latest games.

You also overestimated on the prices a bit. I could get you what you needed, with decent parts, for £500 from here :)

so yeah, do what you want, not going to help anymore cause your kidding yourself.

Soldato
OP
brightside_ said:
Sorry mate, you never said anything of the sort, and don't go and edit one of your posts now to make it look like I'm lying. If you'd said that people might have reacted differently to what you were saying.

Either way I still stand by my case. I'm not trying to lord it over you because I have a better rig, simply trying to help you. Ignore me all you want, it's not going to help your rig work on the latest games.

You also overestimated on the prices a bit. I could get you what you needed, with decent parts, for £500 from here :)

so yeah, do what you want, not going to help anymore cause your kidding yourself.

lol dont do post editing, sorry though i thought i had... i have done in other threads if you search though :)

Suspended
Anyone get occasional stuttering in NFS MW? I set it to minimum detail and smooth except every so often, it catches you off-guard. Vsync is off.

Soldato
OP
squiffy said:
Anyone get occasional stuttering in NFS MW? I set it to minimum detail and smooth except every so often, it catches you off-guard. Vsync is off.

I dont have NFS MW.... but F.E.A.R... i can only play it in Minimum settings, aa off, low resolution and it still jerks every so often.... very anoying indeed, also in morrowind with details max it jerks... and i ran morrowind maxed on a Geforce 3 with no stuttering.... so i know its up for that job

Soldato
OP
brightside_ said:
why should I have to search for information on the same forum to help you, bit mad tbh
I did say im sorry, no need to keep a grudge against me :) *Wipes Slate* i do appreciate your help tho :)

Suspended
jcb33 said:
I dont have NFS MW.... but F.E.A.R... i can only play it in Minimum settings, aa off, low resolution and it still jerks every so often

ta, I thought it was a videocard driver issue, but if you have Nvidia and it still stutters sounds like a coding problem.

Back
Top Bottom