Poll: Hodgson, should he stay or should he go.

Hodgson, time to go?

• Yes get rid of the owl faced buffoon

Votes: 126 57.5%
  • No keep the senile old bugger

Votes: 93 42.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
While I felt his tactics against Uruguay (both before and the changes he made during the game) were rage-inducing, I think he's done a job around or slightly below what I'd deem as par overall. We played well against Italy and it's hard to have a meaningful opinion on the Costa Rica match with so many changes. We qualified with no problems and it was a difficult group.

voted for him to go, who else would even want the job though?

That's it. You'll struggle to attract anyone with a record, so you'd be looking at an up-and-coming manager, another Joe Average or just someone lining their pockets (Capello).

If they were to change I'd want a complete change of character - someone with a bit of spark, even if they're dodgy (Redknapp) or relatively inexperienced (Pearce maybe, if he wasn't up the director's bottoms). No point in just changing to another run-of-the-mill FA yes man as the last few have been. Waddle always has a great energy for England. Heck, even with his dodgy beliefs, I'd have Hoddle back in no time.

Soldato
Voted to keep on the basis that (in my opinion) the failure of Brazil lies at the feet of the bunch of overrated, self believing, egotistical spoilt children that took to the field, rather than the manager who put them there.

I want to see what he does from this point on, given that he now has the opportunity to chop out the dead and rotten wood!

Soldato
Correct, but they didn't, so what's your point?

Its not always the manager, and in this case it was the players failing to deliver

I think the point is that you're criticising Hodgson for utterly irrelevant reasons.

yep

Not really. I watch football to be entertained. For example Chelsea are now much more entertaining to watch because of Jose's antics on the touchline. If people warm to a manager, the public in general will give them more time. Are you saying that you don't think charisma and enthusiasm are important attributes for a football manager?

Rubbish, if England scored once and parked the bus and did this all the way to the final and won you would not be saying any of this. The fact remains that it is far easier to sacrfice the manager then look to the primadona, self absorbed crap bag of players, who in this case are actually more to blame for simply not delivering the goods.

Hodgson did the best he could with the crap at his disposal. There is not a single world class player in that team, yet at least half of them act like they are up there with the likes of Pele et. al.

Soldato
Rubbish, if England scored once and parked the bus and did this all the way to the final and won you would not be saying any of this. The fact remains that it is far easier to sacrfice the manager then look to the primadona, self absorbed crap bag of players, who in this case are actually more to blame for simply not delivering the goods.

Hodgson did the best he could with the crap at his disposal. There is not a single world class player in that team, yet at least half of them act like they are up there with the likes of Pele et. al.

I already agreed with this earlier in the thread...

Hodgson is just not the complete package. He doesn't have the charisma or enthusiasm to get the public behind the team. These are important managerial attributes, especially for a team that is struggling and lacking confidence. Players like Rooney are badly affected by things like negative press, and Hodgson isn't a big enough personality to protect his players and defend his selection choices - or admit when he's gotten it wrong and drop players.

Soldato
Do you think they would have fared better if Mourinho was in charge for example. HOnestly I think not. The players are simply not good enough (yet) and in some cases pretty spent. The main issue for England is that the team and the fans have an over inflated level of expectation of how good they are, and also have a perverse entitlement complex, where they believe they are entitled to be at all the big tourney's and entitled as by default almost to pass to the next stage.

Man of Honour
Alf Ramsey displayed neither and yet he's the most successful England manager ever.

During an era of football where it was generally enough to come up with a strong strategy and stick to it. These days with the application of "game theory" type stuff and so on you simply can't do what some try and do and just play your strongest and most familiar game even when the opposition shows a specific strength that your strongest game is weak to, you simply have to have more than a 1 dimensional plan or you end up like the first 70 minutes of the Uruguay game (or worse run all over).

Do you think they would have fared better if Mourinho was in charge for example. HOnestly I think not. The players are simply not good enough (yet) and in some cases pretty spent. The main issue for England is that the team and the fans have an over inflated level of expectation of how good they are, and also have a perverse entitlement complex, where they believe they are entitled to be at all the big tourney's and entitled as by default almost to pass to the next stage.

Not have enough young and hungry player does make it harder but I don't think thats the biggest issue, other managers had much less talent/quality to work with and produced much better results because they utilised what they had better, covering their weaknesses, adapting to their strengths, etc.

EDIT: TLDR Hodgson is still trying to play too much traditional football in a game that is increasingly seeing inroads of the "metagame".

Last edited:
Soldato
Go, doesn't come across as a good motivator and his nervousness seems to rub off on the players. We need a feisty, bloodthirsty, dare I say it, arrogant, manager who wants to win at all costs, rather than a panicky grey suit.

Soldato
Not sure who it was on here but I agree with him when he said all Roy had to do was to put all the Liverpool players in their regular team position and build the rest of the team around that.

Associate
Voted to stay, there is no alternative that is banging on the door tbh, what puzzled me is over the last couple of years there has been steady progress and Roy was implementing a system and formation that was working: 4-3-3 with Rooney as lone striker and carrick as the deep lying midfielder, but he got whipped up in this Liverpool frenzy along with most of the media and abandoned what he was planning to shoe horn as many Liverpool players in the team as he could into the "in vogue" 4-2-3-1 formation which ended up as 4-2-4 and exposed, Gerrard was meant to be our Pirlo dictating play and Henderson his legs but in truth Gerrard isn't fit to lace Pirlo's boots and Henderson offered nothing going forward, the two just sat static in midfield and looked predictable, only in the last game when reverting back to 3 in midfield did we look more comfortable, wilshire and Barkley offered fluidity and Lampard done more than Gerrard did the last two games. Im still not convinced with sturridge he reminds me of Andy cole; great club scorer but wastes too many chances at this level, it has to be between him and Rooney for the lone striker role as there is no real alternative at the moment (maybe if Walcott can get games there for Arsenal he might be a real option) what really let us down was the appalling distribution from our back 4, Cahill and Jagielka lumping balls up and Johnson doing that not so secret trick anymore of cutting inside all the time, hopefully Van Gaal will educate Jones and Smalling at club level and the likes of John Stones and Eric Dier can break through and establish themselves, and keep a look out for a young winger/"no 10" at Fulham named Patrick Roberts, this kid could be awesome in future

Soldato
People say we are improving passing and possession - We can't just pass the ball about in our own half and think that is progressing

I read against Italy we had something like a 90% passing success rate in their half, which despite the conditions is pretty damn good.

Against Uruguay we were very poor, but I'd say we have stepped forward in that respect from 2010, even if it's hard to feel like it at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are a modest handful of British (ex)Coaches/Managers remaining, but how good will they be?
Bryan Robson? Kevin Keegan? Glen Hoddle? Steve Bruce? Harry Redknapp?

The fault lies with the players in my opinion.

Soldato
I've read Dave Bowler's biography. Alf Ramsey wasn't in the same mould as Mourinho or Clough. He wasn't someone who thought it was his job to entertain the media at press conferences.

No, I agree, but there are very few, if any, winning managers who are not charismatic, good motivators, confident, who are not arrogant in some way and indeed have a level of aggression when required.

Hodgson, like Moyes, displays none of this, either in the way he acts, or what he actually says, or in the way he sets his team out.

Its the same in all walks of life, if you work for a guy who is a winner, who motivates you, who pushes you, who inspires you who is confident in the advice and instructions he is giving you, you will be motivated to push yourself and give him everything you've got.

Now imagine Hodgson being that person and it doesnt fit, at all.

Associate
I think he should stay, granted he got the formation wrong and should have just stuck with the 4 3 3 we had used all qualification. I can't really think of anyone who is a stand out candidate to replace him.

Back
Top Bottom