Holiday in Egypt, would you?

Soldato
I would have gone to Egypt a few years ago but no chance now. As others have said I wouldn't go to most of these muslim countries now. Dubai is probably the only really safe one

Caporegime
This. The whole experience is designed to rip off tourists. We weren't 'allowed' to buy water outside the hotel. But for £15 (worked out about that) you could get a 2L bottle delivered to your room. We bought 5 2L bottles for a pound or two and used that the whole week.

Our tour 'guide' were the biggest crook and thief of all.

But anyway, a shame to see them reduced to beggars and con artists.

We went to a decent place and they put 2 water bottles in the room every day, and you could go get as many as you wanted from any of the bars or just ask the staff.

No one once hung around for a tip (we did tip a few of the really good ones on the last day).

Literally anything you complained about was sorted instantlyie signal was a bit ropey in the room for wifi mentioned it to one of the guys later that night it guy came up and put a router in our room for us.

Associate
We went to a decent place and they put 2 water bottles in the room every day, and you could go get as many as you wanted from any of the bars or just ask the staff.

No one once hung around for a tip (we did tip a few of the really good ones on the last day).

Literally anything you complained about was sorted instantlyie signal was a bit ropey in the room for wifi mentioned it to one of the guys later that night it guy came up and put a router in our room for us.

Agree. Bottled water was very easy to get hold of.

I had no hassle with staff wanting tips. If you want to leave small tips then take a load of pound coins with you and a pound coin after a meal or for bar staff at the end of the night is more than enough. Small denominations of Egyptian notes and coins are hard to get hold of when out there.

Tipping staff will enhance your experience with regular staff though.

Man of Honour
Usel's last point is important here. If you're willing to tip, do it up front. I much prefer tipping people after they've earned it but other people that tip beforehand get preferential treatment over those that don't.

It's just the way it is, unfortunately.

Soldato
People really saying they wouldn't go to ANY Muslim country? The terrorists really have won.

before terrorism being just as widespread, there were still plenty of Islamic nations I wouldn't have fancies.
The whole build a city in the desert nations, I feel no drive or desire to ever visit, and see big malls, and big hotels, built off the back of slaves, with nout much else.

They have been awful on rights, and rules, for ages. No point visiting, or flying with their airlines, you are just lining their pockets. Granted any oil we bought probably did similar, but it was a slightly more indirect funding, as we need heat.

Associate
They can win all they want I still wouldn't go

Given a choice between Marrakech and Middlesborough I know which one I would visit. Marrakech is one of the most memorable places I have been to in the world. My visit from there to the Atlas Mountains even more so.

This October I am going to Oman. I have no fears about this whatsoever.

Not sure if I have been to Middlesborough.

Soldato
Oman is pretty westernised to be fair. It has deep routes with the UK and probably offers the same level of threat as most other benign countries.

Agreed on Marrakech and the atlas mountains, amazing places to visit.

Associate
before terrorism being just as widespread, there were still plenty of Islamic nations I wouldn't have fancies.
The whole build a city in the desert nations, I feel no drive or desire to ever visit, and see big malls, and big hotels, built off the back of slaves, with nout much else.

They have been awful on rights, and rules, for ages. No point visiting, or flying with their airlines, you are just lining their pockets. Granted any oil we bought probably did similar, but it was a slightly more indirect funding, as we need heat.

So lets just ignore the fact that western nations such as the UK and US also have a history of slavery? I'm obviously not advocating that slavery is okay, but that it's hypocritical to sit here on our high moral chairs and judge other countries like that.

People here really need to get out a bit more and speak to some actual people rather than base their opinions of others from what the news tells them. :o

Last edited:
Caporegime
So lets just ignore the fact that western nations such as the UK and US also have a history of slavery? I'm obviously not advocating that slavery is okay, but that it's hypocritical to sit here on our high moral chairs and judge other countries like that.

People here really need to get out a bit more and speak to some actual people rather than base their opinions of others from what the news tells them. :o

History from so long ago there isnt a soul living from thay time versus current and on going is a rather silly comparison to make dont you think?

Associate
History from so long ago there isnt a soul living from thay time versus current and on going is a rather silly comparison to make dont you think?

No, I don't think so. Just because western countries are developed nations without those issues now, does not mean cultures around the world have progressed enough that slavery is no longer a thing there. Slavery has always been a part of human history and continues to be to this day. Also, exploiting others for one's own benefit in general is, unfortunately, present today and has been throughout human history.

Last edited:
Soldato

Strawman defence, talk about something that isn't remotely revelant.
Would you holiday in a muslim nation?
No, lets talk about the historical slavery that the british committed.
Well while you are at it, do recall that at stages there were more Irish slaves than Blacks.
What has this to do with holidays in muslim nations?

Nothing, so start your own thread regarding that.
I will continue to retell my tales from my times in various muslim nations, which ones I would still visit, and which I would utterly discount and ignore.
Thanks for your random diversionary input.

Associate
Okay mate, lets just ignore the fact that it was you that brought up slavery in the first place.

Maybe you should stick to visiting traditional British destinations such as Magaluf, Malia, Tenerife etc. You get your sun and don't have to worry about being too close to any "full arabs".

Back
Top Bottom