Holiday in Egypt, would you?

Caporegime
I would like to go on holiday to Egypt next week. The price, resort and weather look amazing. However, my family don't want me to go, and also my girlfriend is concerned. The area is Hughada. My question to you... With everything going on, and this that have happened in the recent past, would you go?

Thanks!

Im off to hughada next week. :o

To make things more fun i am going with my friend who is a (admitedly very convincing) muslim transexual.

Who really like haggling in arab markets

Im gonna get murdered :D

Associate
Tunisia I loved Egypt on the other hand is dirty and the people harass you to hell
I enjoyed the tours but the shops were a nightmare they tired to pull me in and got nasty when you say no .

Associate
Personal i have been there and i do like the sites and the weather, i did the bus tour to cairo and it was okay, i would do it again just not right now as personally i dont see any flight taking me there or at least picking me up...

Caporegime
Im off to hughada next week. :o

To make things more fun i am going with my friend who is a (admitedly very convincing) muslim transexual.

Who really like haggling in arab markets

Im gonna get murdered :D

So tefal, "you dead mon?"

Was Egypt murderous or just another tourist location...?

Soldato
Would your life insurance cover you if you knowingly went to a highly dangerous area with a high risk of being killed?

I'm going to sound rather bad here - I like people and love exploring, both in Europe and outside, but as a white male I wouldn't go to an Islamic country because I'd be the first to be killed.... well I would go, but they wouldn't take kindly to my self defence equipment.

Associate
Another example of percieved risk versus actual risk. In Egypt the most dangerous thing you could do is get in a car. The same is pretty much true for anywhere on Earth. People die far more frequently in car accidents than in terrorism attacks, but because the latter makes the headlines people perceive the risk as greater.

It is a bit like people fearing flying despite it being the safer to fly in aeroplane than drive to the airport. Also cycling. The health benefits of cycling far outweigh the risk of death or serious injury yet people fear it.

Soldato
My brother went to Egypt a few months back, Got a flight back home early due to bomb scares and muslims making threats at the resort.

Honestly I wouldn't go to any muslim country unless you have a death wish, It might not happen this 1 time but you really want to gamble with your life ?

If their ideology wasn't so nutty and bloodthirsty it would be great.

And FYI I never use to think about it but my boss is ex-muslim and educated me, Read through the sunnah, hadith and qur'an with me and general muslim way of life and It's frightening to know that people follow this completely dark age loopy ideology, Honestly couldn't wrap my mind around how a sane individual can follow it.

Associate
Dicehunter said:
Honestly I wouldn't go to any muslim country unless you have a death wish, It might not happen this 1 time but you really want to gamble with your life ?

If their ideology wasn't so nutty and bloodthirsty it would be great.

Indonesia? Malaysia? Morocco? Or is this actually "I wouldn't go near any active war zone" as opposed to "any Muslim country"?

Permabanned
Gilly we have been around 7 times, the last time we were there was around 3 years ago.
Us and the kids love the place.
Such a shame these toe rags have ruined it for folk as we would still be holidaying there too.

Associate
No religious ideology sits particularly well with me, but I still cope when I visit Christian/Hindu/daft-ingrained-Confucianist countries etc. I find the key part to be learning about it while respecting it, but trying to ignore it.

Soldato
I would like to go on holiday to Egypt next week. The price, resort and weather look amazing. However, my family don't want me to go, and also my girlfriend is concerned. The area is Hughada. My question to you... With everything going on, and this that have happened in the recent past, would you go?

Thanks!

Been to Hurgharda. Horrible place, will never go back. Couldn't really take my blonde girlfriend anywhere due to local men pestering her/us. The same type Europe is now importing it would seem. Hotel was ok but the waiters and staff were constantly bobbing for tips and just being a nuisance. Went to the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner one night and while it seemed cheap, we were hit with 2-3 different taxes or some nonsense. Still much cheaper than the UK but the idea of being ripped off annoyed the hell out of me. Found a decent Indian place and just went there every night. Nice and quiet and waiters professional.

We were expected to tip the room cleaning staff daily and if they didn't deem it to be enough, we'd get crappy towels or minimal room service. Couldn't help but think that it's sad that citizens of such a historic and storied country are now resigned to begging for tips and handouts.

I'm going back to Greece this year. Not been for the last two years so not sure how the recent swaths of immigrants affected things but I guess I'll see.

Soldato
I think it's a absolute tragedy that a civilisation that at one time was so advanced could end up where it is today. Dirty, dangerous and the only way they seem to have of earning an existence is to rip of tourists.

This. The whole experience is designed to rip off tourists. We weren't 'allowed' to buy water outside the hotel. But for £15 (worked out about that) you could get a 2L bottle delivered to your room. We bought 5 2L bottles for a pound or two and used that the whole week.

Our tour 'guide' were the biggest crook and thief of all.

But anyway, a shame to see them reduced to beggars and con artists.

Soldato
The latter, The whole arab ideology doesn't sit well with me so I wouldn't want to be in any islamic country.

Thankfully the full arab hasn't permeated all muslim countries.
Indonesia is relatively modern as a nation.
Malaysia is having issues deciding which it wants to be, they have a very vocal set of censors, and very corrupt politicians, but the people are beginning to speak up against them.
Partially due to th various events in Indonesia, a good jakarta governor, and a good president who are not stacking up the bribes like their predecessors. Be interesting to see if it can last.

Depending on island and location there is of course variation in a nation of over 200 millions with 80% muslim, but ninja suits are rare, you would see far more in the uk, jilbabs are not particularly common but are worn by a section. Most places are halal, but chinese resturants will serve pork dishes. Alcohol is available all over the place.

It isn't too bad. I'd vacation there.

Soldato
I would go personally. They are doing everything they can to protect tourists. When we went last, there were that many armed checkpoints, patrols, police and military kicking about that if anything happened I can't imagine it lasting long.

Obviously when you are there pick your site seeing wisely, but where you are visiting you shouldn't have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom