1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holidays 2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rotty, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Looking at the Gold Card, first year being free and then £140 per year, does it get you into more lounges than Priorty Pass? The Amex website isn’t too clear on what you can or cannot get into.

Free room upgrade and $75 credit for 2 night stay also sounds good, easy to get that £140 back I think.

2. Rotty

Don

Priority Pass marginally more

The Amex is all about the airmiles

If 2 of you can get 60k a year at no cost (half if one of you) and this can be repeated over and over

3. Rotty

Don

I never pay the fee

4. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Sorry I don’t understand, 60k miles in flights? What happens then?

5. Rotty

Don

From card spend. Will message you

6. Scania

Capodecina

Yeah, seen that, I think there trying to make a subtle (or perhaps not!) point. :D

7. Malevolence

Capodecina

Just a week or so in Lebanon for me. And maybe the same somewhere else too, haven't decided yet.

8. DampCat

Capodecina

Cancelled our trip to Hawaii in July/August. Took our little one to San Francisco in October when he was 8 months and the 11 hour flight was... Stressful. Done that flight too many times to count but the baby struggled. The idea of doing it again immediately followed by 7 hours to Hawaii is just awful. Will wait till he's bigger.

Got a honeymoon by ourselves we'll enjoy, will pick a destination the week before. Will replace Hawaii with shorter flights to Disneyland Paris or similar to get him used to air travel.

9. Marvt74

Capodecina

Only Copenhagen for 4 nights at the end of Feb booked so far. Will throw in a few Champneys spa breaks probably too.

After buying the house last year we're trying to cut back and build savings again this year. Though might try and get a few weeks in Spain to see my parents.

10. DampCat

Capodecina

You can pay £80 if you're with someone who qualifies to get in. I've had people ask me if I'd "Sign them in" which i have done before.

What card are you guys talking?

I have the Virgin black card, and I'm earning 5-10k airmiles a month with 190k unused ATM (stupid baby). Obviously I can only redeem with Virgin, are yous all using something else?

11. Steedie

Man of Honour

I'm tempted to book Iceland for a week in April with something warmer later in the year.

Trouble is, me and my son both hate very warm weather, right pair the both of us. Last hot holiday, we both were in the villa more than out by the pool :p

12. sk8board_pete

Gangster

We got a 2 week trip to florida in march and then maybe a week at centre parcs in august.
    Florida pretty much wiped us out this year

13. Marvt74

Capodecina

Amex Gold

I've been waiting for Curve to support Amex again before i start using one again.

14. shadow_boxer

Sgarrista

Interesting destination. Is that for holiday or work?

All this talk of airmiles reminds me I really need to look into this more and sort one out

15. TacticalFish

Hitman

Trying to decide on a holiday with mates. We're all happy with Spain (cheapish and warm), not looking for clubbing or crazy nightlife. I like the look of Cadiz, but would like a few options as one of us has been there already. Any suggestions welcome!

16. Rotty

Don

BA premier plus and churning Amex Gold (the churning is a big earner)

VA black has been discontinued and converted to some crap card, there is a new VA card but it's no good unless you are gold status

17. DampCat

Capodecina

I switched from the Black Amex card to the Virgin Black MasterCard and it only gives Airmiles. I'm silver, although not sure I'll maintain that this year. Might look at Amex Gold then.

18. FISHGUTS

Hitman

A couple of nights in Chester Feb half term.
    3 nights in Singapore & then on to Khao Lak for 2 weeks in Easter. I'm a tad worried what my 9 year old will eat as she's stupidly fussy.
    2 weeks villa holiday in Fuerteventura for the August summer hols.

19. PlacidCasual

Soldato

@TacticalFish Been a while since I went to Cadiz and I seem to remember not a huge number of English speakers, I was learning Spanish at time so happy to bumble through. Habla Espanol?

20. always4lora

Wise Guy

No holidays booked for me this year but i'm saving for a holidat at the end of September / Early October. Need to find somewhere fairly hot with the odd bit to do and around £600 each all inc. challenges ahead.