Holy **** my motherboard just exploded!

Associate
Its quite a common problem on certain MSI AMD boards, didnt realise intel MSI boards were prone to the same happening. Good luck getting sorted.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I'll try entering the serial number in later...

My psu is the Antec hcp 1200, so I would be very surprised if that's gone.

I'm not sure if those marks on the CPU are burn marks, guess I can just RMA the motherboard and see. But if you can't see the damage, it's just above the heatsink on the left, quite a large scorch mark.

Associate
If you cant RMA via website, it might be worth a shot at speaking to someone at customer support, mentioning the words burning and flames usually puts the willies up electronics company's. Especially when theres evidence that this is happening quite a bit.

Associate
Regarding the CPU, what has happened on the high lighted areas?

2w57m7s.jpg

Soldato
Can happen to any motherboard/component. Gigabyte motherboard of my colleague caught fire on the mosfets.

Real sorry to hear about this, it was probably a weak component, it isn't restricted to just one's that are overclocked. Try and RMA, or request a repair (after you tried an RMA), but I suspect you'll have to try and pick up a 2nd hand motherboard.

I doubt the CPU is damaged.

BTW... just because you had a failure with a motherboard, that can happen to ANY manufacturer. If you had a line of failures/bad experiences I'd be more inclined to stay away. Trouble is, you'll go away now, get another board, it won't break (we hope), and you'll start saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread because it hasn't broken yet.

Permabanned
OP
Just sent a message via customer service:

Hi there.

I was browsing the Internet last night, when my PC cut out. Slightly bemused, I opened the side to check everything; all seemed fine, so I tried powering it up again. As soon as I pressed the power button the mosfets to the left of the motherboard set on fire. I quickly switched the power off, and checked any of my other components for damage, thankfully there was none. I believe the motherboard (p55-gd65) is still in warranty, however I am not sure where to find the serial number on the board. I would like a direct replacement, as I have important work which needs to be finished ASAP.

Thank you for your time, regards, Ryan Salt

What do you think? Any good?

Associate
BTW... just because you had a failure with a motherboard, that can happen to ANY manufacturer. If you had a line of failures/bad experiences I'd be more inclined to stay away. Trouble is, you'll go away now, get another board, it won't break (we hope), and you'll start saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread because it hasn't broken yet.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/943109-why-vrms-big-issue-why-choose.html

Look at the MSI VRM failure rate compared to others on the spreadsheet in start of that thread.

Add some more shock , alarm and panic to your next message if CS get funny. IE, the wife was running about screaming, fire brigade got stepped down 30 secs away from your house, some random person running around your pc shouting "will somebody think of the children" etc etc..:)

Last edited:
Associate
Just had a look at the CPU, that stuff was just thermal paste from my thumb while taking it out of the socket, there are no burns *phew*.

Now let's see just how good Msi service is :)

Ah good, I thought you didn't see them and I thought to myself.... "Oh sht, I hope I dont make you really ****ed" xD

Best of luck for a replacement.

lcg

lcg

Associate
Are you blind? Just above the heatsink on the left, the MOSFET is a charcoal mess!

I'll echo an above comment too, are the CPU pads burnt/damaged, a few look like it on the pics, but that could just as easily be dust on the camera sensor/lens.
I see it now :o

Man of Honour
I see it now. This is what happenes when overclocking takes place. These are/were solid build boards wern't they?

Stop talking rubbish. I have never had a board fail on me through overclocking. You don't even have to overclock to have them fail. It could be the result of a dodgy batch, the manufacturer cutting corners to cut costs or even a power surge.

Soldato
i had a evga x58 sli le which set on fire over the mosfet after i came to test it after my ex poured wine over it and everything was fine apart from the mobo so there might still be hope for you

Back
Top Bottom