Home Assistant

Soldato
OP
If setup on a raspberry pi. How do you show this on a tablet?

I find the app better to use than a Web browser.

What's also cool that I've just been spending some time over the last couple of weeks setting up; you can create multiple users, and then create a default dashboard to display.

For example, I created a tablet user, and a dashboard specifically for the tablet. I've also hidden away some switches (smart Plug / WOL buttons) so that family using the tablet can't switch them on/off by accident.

Associate
Home Assistant will be available on your local network under the ip address of the Pi and port 8123, for example 192.168.1.10:8123.

You can either view it in a Web browser or via the official app.

I find the app better to use than a Web browser.

What's also cool that I've just been spending some time over the last couple of weeks setting up; you can create multiple users, and then create a default dashboard to display.

For example, I created a tablet user, and a dashboard specifically for the tablet. I've also hidden away some switches (smart Plug / WOL buttons) so that family using the tablet can't switch them on/off by accident.

Thanks both. I've seen some videos on this and they have it setup on tablets either on the wall or just to have around the house. It looks really good and I could use it with Hive heating and TP Link smart plugs and cameras.

Soldato
Had a HA spun up on my QNAP NAS and its detected a few things round the house. Would be quite interested in putting cheapy temperture monitors in lots of rooms as I live in a old house and want to be able to track the house temps so I can think about my heating upgrades later this year. Anything out there that I can buy a dozen or so that I can integrate easily into the HA system???

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a HA spun up on my QNAP NAS and its detected a few things round the house. Would be quite interested in putting cheapy temperture monitors in lots of rooms as I live in a old house and want to be able to track the house temps so I can think about my heating upgrades later this year. Anything out there that I can buy a dozen or so that I can integrate easily into the HA system???

I use Aqara sensors they're pretty cheap off Aliexpress. Use a Conbee II as a receiver.

Soldato
What's wrong with the docker method?

OK it looks like I have installed home assistant core and not supervised so some of the stuff I have been reading doesnt work - although I have managed to add HACS to it.

I assume if I want the full blown version - I'll need to spin up a Debian image and install on that?

Soldato
OP
OK it looks like I have installed home assistant core and not supervised so some of the stuff I have been reading doesnt work - although I have managed to add HACS to it.

I assume if I want the full blown version - I'll need to spin up a Debian image and install on that?

I do think the HA supervisor is well worth having, certainly makes installing a number of "official/approved" addons significantly easier.

Exactly as @no idea what said, in fact i'm looking to buy some more soon.

These are the temp sensors: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000713849766.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.816c2e0eCMKxO9, if you buy in bulk you can get them down to about £7-8 each.

Conbee2 tends to be the recommended zigbee stick: https://phoscon.de/en/conbee2/, although looks like they might be having some supply issues at the moment.

I've also added door contact sensors: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000713894535.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.816c2e0eCMKxO9
and switches: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32818007384.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.554a4c4dQahLn1

Also looking to add in some more motion sensors (Hue ones are ****), and possibly some water leak sensors.

Soldato
Got some binary sensors worked out last night which take data from my TP-Link plugs and monitor if the washing machine or dishwasher are on. Next step is to add notifications for when they're finished.

919b52ebe3d994282ecd1702fe566f67.png

Soldato
OP
Got some binary sensors worked out last night which take data from my TP-Link plugs and monitor if the washing machine or dishwasher are on. Next step is to add notifications for when they're finished.

919b52ebe3d994282ecd1702fe566f67.png

Nice, what FW version are you running?

I can see the attributes from my HS110, i just need to figure out how to pull them out into an entity - which is what i'm guessing you've done?

ssRlyOt.png

Edit: Is that current power? I didn't think dishwashers were that power hungry?

Soldato
Nice, what FW version are you running?

I can see the attributes from my HS110, i just need to figure out how to pull them out into an entity - which is what i'm guessing you've done?

ssRlyOt.png

Edit: Is that current power? I didn't think dishwashers were that power hungry?

Using the latest firmware as far as I am aware.

Using a sensor template for the current usage (I found on the internet):

HTML:
- platform: template
  sensors:
    dishwasher_watts:
      value_template: >
        {{ state_attr("switch.dishwasher", "current_power_w") | replace(" W", "") | float("Unavailable") }}
      unit_of_measurement: Watt
      friendly_name: Dishwasher usage

And a binary sensor for the status:
HTML:
   sensors:
    dishwasher:
      friendly_name: Dishwasher
        {{ states("sensor.dishwasher_watts") | float(0) > 3 }}
      delay_off: "00:03:00"
      icon_template: >
        {% if is_state("binary_sensor.dishwasher", "on") %}
          mdi:dishwasher
        {% else %}
          mdi:dishwasher-off
        {% endif %}

That current power is right, it was in the middle of heating up for the drying process, it doesn't draw that much power the whole time :)

Soldato
OP
Using the latest firmware as far as I am aware.

Using a sensor template for the current usage (I found on the internet):

HTML:
  sensors:
    dishwasher_watts:
        {{ state_attr("switch.dishwasher", "current_power_w") | replace(" W", "") | float("Unavailable") }}
      unit_of_measurement: Watt
      friendly_name: Dishwasher usage

And a binary sensor for the status:
HTML:
   sensors:
    dishwasher:
      friendly_name: Dishwasher
        {{ states("sensor.dishwasher_watts") | float(0) > 3 }}
      delay_off: "00:03:00"
      icon_template: >
        {% if is_state("binary_sensor.dishwasher", "on") %}
          mdi:dishwasher
        {% else %}
          mdi:dishwasher-off
        {% endif %}

That current power is right, it was in the middle of heating up for the drying process, it doesn't draw that much power the whole time :)

Ahh yes of course, i was thinking why don't you just use the plug status to mark it on / off, but you wouldn't know then if the dishwasher had finished. Do you actually switch the plug off? Or just mark the sensor as off?

Thanks for the template sensor, i'll give that a go.

Soldato
Ahh yes of course, i was thinking why don't you just use the plug status to mark it on / off, but you wouldn't know then if the dishwasher had finished. Do you actually switch the plug off? Or just mark the sensor as off?

Thanks for the template sensor, i'll give that a go.

Plugs stay on all the time, the binary sensor just works out if it's on or off :)

Spent the evening cleaning up all my config files, moved a ton of stuff over to the secrets file. Got the Dyson fan integration configured also.

Soldato
What do I gain with a conbee 2? (considerably more expensive)
When I said this I had seen some spurious Amazon pricing of the conbee II at like £150. On second looks it seems a more normal price is £50ish. That's acceptable. Problem is availability looks slim. One in Germany on eBay.

Perhaps I need to compare that with zigbee2mqtt options.

Soldato
When I said this I had seen some spurious Amazon pricing of the conbee II at like £150. On second looks it seems a more normal price is £50ish. That's acceptable. Problem is availability looks slim. One in Germany on eBay.

I paid about £40 for mine. The stock comes and goes.

Soldato
OP

Yeah when you said it was quite expensive, i didn't realise there was a seller trying to sell one for £150 :D:D, which is daylight robbery.

As above, i think they're normally £35 with taxes + about £5/6 for delivery.

I suspect brexit/coronavirus has caused them some supply chain issues, might be worth shooting them an email to enquire about stock.

Back
Top Bottom