Home Assistant

Soldato
OP
Plugs stay on all the time, the binary sensor just works out if it's on or off :)

Spent the evening cleaning up all my config files, moved a ton of stuff over to the secrets file. Got the Dyson fan integration configured also.

What have you moved over to the secrets file? Anything other than usernames/passwords/API keys?

I got your template sensor working, but it's messed up some other integration sensors i had.

I'm not sure if i need to put them in other places of the config file, or if they need to be nested under a single sensor.

This is how it looks at the moment:
Code:
# kWh Conversion, name = sensor.energy_spent #
sensor:
  - platform: integration
    source: sensor.smart_plug_2_mss310_power_sensor_w_0
    name: energy_spent
    unit_prefix: k
    round: 2
    source: sensor.outdoor_tree_lights_mss310_power_sensor_w_0
    name: office_energy_used

# Smart Plug 1#
sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      smartplug1:
        value_template: >
          {{ state_attr("switch.smart_plug_1", "current_power_w") | replace(" W", "") | float("Unavailable") }}
        unit_of_measurement: Watt
        friendly_name: Plug1 usage

If i remove everything to do with "smart plug 1" then my old kWh conversion sensors work.

I haven't yet tried, but wondering if this would work:
Code:
sensor:
    <required arguments>
    <required arguments>
    <required arguments>

Soldato
OP
I read through this and found it kinda handy: https://home-assistant-guide.com/20...vs-zha-battle-of-the-zigbee-hub-replacements/

One thing I wonder is if I can just get both and then effectively integrate devices across both networks using HA if availability is low of the Conbee at the moment.

I'm actually running both the hue hub and my conbee2 for zigbee gateways. All my lighting is connected to the Hue hub (and then integrated into HA), and then all my other zigbee devices are connected via conbee2.

I haven't yet made the full switch because a) Hue integration in HA is pretty much perfect, so i'm not gaining anything extra by removing it - plenty of space in the server rack, and b) the missus hasn't yet moved over to HA, so she still uses the hue app for any light control.

Soldato
Did you guys have to get the HS110 firmware updated by Tp-link to beta for local control?

I've not actually even installed HA yet (waiting on OcUK to ship an SSD I need!) but perhaps I'll just play on my Pi this weekend.

Soldato
OP
Did you guys have to get the HS110 firmware updated by Tp-link to beta for local control?

I've not actually even installed HA yet (waiting on OcUK to ship an SSD I need!) but perhaps I'll just play on my Pi this weekend.

I don't seem to have done, no.

Mine is currently running at HV 1.0 FV 1.2.5.

I can control mine from HA, and with the above snippet from @no idea what i can now dump the power data into an entity.

The Kasa app does show a FV 1.2.6 is available for my plug, although i don't think i'll bother upgrading it it's currently working.

Soldato
This was my first dabble at home assistant this week bought a pi4 for it and quite happy after a few hours I got hacs installed Alexa integration and unifi protect integrated. I can now get my imported G4 doorbell to activate alexa when pressed and she says on all speakers via tts someone's at the front door. Felt like quite the victory editing yaml and so on :D

Also got my deebot on it. All my ring alarm and the cameras I monitor at my grandmas house and the hue bulbs and some sensors around my house. Got my Xiaomi air purifiers hooked into it and trying now to get it to talk to the mi laser projector.

Soldato
OP
This was my first dabble at home assistant this week bought a pi4 for it and quite happy after a few hours I got hacs installed Alexa integration and unifi protect integrated. I can now get my imported G4 doorbell to activate alexa when pressed and she says on all speakers via tts someone's at the front door. Felt like quite the victory editing yaml and so on :D

Also got my deebot on it. All my ring alarm and the cameras I monitor at my grandmas house and the hue bulbs and some sensors around my house. Got my Xiaomi air purifiers hooked into it and trying now to get it to talk to the mi laser projector.

Blimey, sounds like you've had a busy week! That's an impressive list for your first dabble and in only a week!

I had to redo my configuration tonight, as now i've got multiple sensors, i hadn't structured them properly for yaml, which meant it was only picking up on the last sensor.

For anyone who also runs into this issue, you've basically got to do the following:
Code:
sensor:
  - platform: <platform name - e.g. template>
    attribute1: abc
    attribute2: def
    attribute3: ghi

- platform: <different platform - e.g. integration>
    attribute1: jkl
    attribute2: mno

- platform: xzy
    sensors:
       sensor_name:
          attribute1: pqr
          attribute2: stu

Soldato
Thanks got to admit I was tearing my hair at one point when it was not playing on all speakers when the doorbell was pressed but refused to just post asking for help and got it in the end feels quite good working stuff out yourself as its all too easy to just post about it and wait for an expert :D

Soldato
What have you moved over to the secrets file? Anything other than usernames/passwords/API keys?

I got your template sensor working, but it's messed up some other integration sensors i had.

I'm not sure if i need to put them in other places of the config file, or if they need to be nested under a single sensor.

This is how it looks at the moment:
Code:
# kWh Conversion, name = sensor.energy_spent #
sensor:
    source: sensor.smart_plug_2_mss310_power_sensor_w_0
    name: energy_spent
    source: sensor.outdoor_tree_lights_mss310_power_sensor_w_0
    name: office_energy_used

# Smart Plug 1#
sensor:
    sensors:
      smartplug1:
        value_template: >
          {{ state_attr("switch.smart_plug_1", "current_power_w") | replace(" W", "") | float("Unavailable") }}
        unit_of_measurement: Watt
        friendly_name: Plug1 usage

If i remove everything to do with "smart plug 1" then my old kWh conversion sensors work.

I haven't yet tried, but wondering if this would work:
Code:
sensor:
    <required arguments>
    <required arguments>
    <required arguments>

Yes put all usernames, passwords, API keys, co-ordinates etc into secrets.

Not too sure about the configs, I don't have any other configs for my TP link stuff as far as I know.

How do you get the Beta? My Kasa app shows no updates available.

Soldato
OP
Yes put all usernames, passwords, API keys, co-ordinates etc into secrets.

Not too sure about the configs, I don't have any other configs for my TP link stuff as far as I know.

How do you get the Beta? My Kasa app shows no updates available.

Yeah got it all working in the end, i've got quite a few sensor components, so they all have to come under a single sensor entry in the config file. I was pulling my hair out the past week wondering why previous components had broke when i'd not touched them.

To get the beta firmware there was a link on the forums to send a message to Kasa support. If you're able to control it with HA though, i wouldn't bother looking to make a change.

Soldato
OP
Running into some problems with my setup now, I've got quite a few sensors logging and this is causing a lot of CPU time being spent in influxdb.

Also seeing large amounts of iowait, so it's pretty clear that it's struggling to keep up with writing to the sd card. Will need to look at what I need to do to boot from SSD.

Soldato
OP
The type I'm looking for is like this https://loop.homes/ where it clamps around the live outgoing wire in the consumer unit so I can monitor my heat pump.

Loop looked like the best I could find but they too have stopped API access as of November

I came across this tonight which looks very impressive: https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/kyl3l9/my_12_circuit_energy_usage_grafana_dashboard/

Github link: https://github.com/CircuitSetup/Expandable-6-Channel-ESP32-Energy-Meter

The guy who put it together looks like he lives in the US, but states a lot of the components should work for the european market too. I'm not sure how much wiring i have exposed at my consumer unit to put clamps around the wiring. But having the ability to measure each circuit would beat any sort of plugs, or smart meter monitoring.

Caporegime
Thought I'd jump in this thread rather than make a new one, I'm just getting in to this, got a couple of tplink kp115's coming so I can make my washing machine smart and I'm getting some Xiaomi Bluetooth temperature/humidity sensors coming from aliexpress.

I use a honey well thing for my central heating currently which has a battery powered thermostat in the front room, what could I replace this with so I can just toggle the heating on and off from HA? I plan to use the data from the Xiaomi sensors to decide when the heating is required.

Soldato
OP
I saw that but it looked a bit too involved for me... and I'm not sure landlord would be incredibly keen :D

I think the luxury of it is that it's not a permanent install, you can always remove the clamps if asked / when moving. Although i agree, it might look a bit "wtf" if they saw a number of wires there.

I'm getting some Xiaomi Bluetooth temperature/humidity sensors coming from aliexpress.

Assuming you bought the Aqara sensors (not sure i've seen a Xiaomi bluetooth temp sensor) they use zigbee rather than bluetooth. So you'll need a zigbee gateway (such as the conbee2) to communicate with them.

You might already know all this, but figured i'd save you a headache if you didn't and couldn't figure out how to set them up :).

I use a honey well thing for my central heating currently which has a battery powered thermostat in the front room, what could I replace this with so I can just toggle the heating on and off from HA? I plan to use the data from the Xiaomi sensors to decide when the heating is required.

I don't yet have smart heating, so can't comment too much. But there looks to already be an existing integration for Honeywell, probably worth a read to see if it applies to your install and how you can configure/implement it into HA.

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/evohome/

Caporegime
Assuming you bought the Aqara sensors (not sure i've seen a Xiaomi bluetooth temp sensor) they use zigbee rather than bluetooth. So you'll need a zigbee gateway (such as the conbee2) to communicate with them.
These things https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001112702869.html

They work by having the temp/humidity in the advertising data, which is why they run for 1 year off a cr2032, data resolution is only 10 minutes, but its good enough.

Caporegime
Ah okay, different to the ones I'd seen before. Any idea what the range will be like? Or are you planning to use it close to the HA hardware?
They will all be within about 10 meters of the bluetooth receiver, hopefully that's close enough for reliable communication!

Had a couple of Kasa KP115 plugs delivered today, I now can see consumption of my washing machine, and I've got an automation for google to tell me when the washing is done.

Back
Top Bottom