Home made pizza

Permabanned
Ok guys and gals I want to start making my own pizzas.

Now can I cook in the oven at home or do I need a pizza oven, also can someone explain the perfect dough base.

I would through pretty much anything on the pizza except for mushrooms and pineapple

Associate
Start here...

https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/recipes/bread/quick-pizza-dough

It's super easy and you'll be wondering why you haven't done this before. That'll do 2 bases.

Use '00' flour, sometimes called pasta flour. Sainsbury's do a good one, but I'm sure every supermarket does.

Let it rise. I know the recipe says to crack on, but put cling film / lid over the bowl and put it on the window sill for the afternoon. Also worth putting a bit of olive oil on the dough ball before you leave it to rise so it doesn't stick to the bowl.

Once risen, try not to handle it too much. Just split it in half and try to shape it quickly.

Tastes extra good if you make it 3 days in advance and let it rise in the fridge.

You don't need to buy anything fancy, though you can if you like. I just chuck some flour on a baking tray, put the base on there and sling it in the oven. And pasatta makes a good, no fuss tomato base.

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Pizza ovens are deffo fun and well worth the money tbh.
Just dont get one of these "Pizza boxes" you stick on a BBQ read nowt but terrible reviews on them.
If you do buy a uuni direct I think "upgrade10" still gives 10% off :)

A recipe I've used a few times now with no real fails has been:
4tsp salt, 1tsp ady, 1kg 00 flour, 200ml Boiling water, 400ml cold water

Stick the hot and cold water together (makes it the right temp for yeast - depending which u use) stick in yeast and I normally let it sit a little while.
Whack it all into a mixer and set it slow slow for 15 mins or so.
One done cover and let sit til increased 2/3 times in size
Knock it back and divide up into balls (normally does about 10 for us)
Let it sit in the fridge until the day you wanna use it, take it out as far in advance as possible.

This makes pretty much see thru dough when stretched :D I've used this in the ooni repeatedly and also in a thick bottom frying pan on the wok burner.
Both approaches have turned out really well, granted the frying pan one needed a few mins in grill to crisp up the top after.

https://www.adimaria.co.uk/ - for the caputo flour
I normally get a block of pecorino romano from costco, the Arla grated mozarello is cheap in bulk as well, think its about 3quid for a kg.
The grated pizza mozzarella as well as the large wafer thin slices of smoked pepperoni from lidl are fantastic
I really like the Seaweed pearls from IKEA kinda like fake caviar haha if you wanna really nice salted pizza that goes well with beers :D

I didn't really rate the mozzarella from Morrisons but apparently their Taleggio cheese goes really well on pizza
Still looking for a decent Nduja tho

Soldato
Don't need much space for an Ooni! I have just set mine up on a workmate for the winter outside the backdoor! Going to give it a more permanent home in the summer.

Soldato
Before I built my wood fired oven I used a pizza stone in the house and on the weber. It works well but is nothing like the real thing but any pizza is better than no pizza, right?

Soldato
Really want an Ooni but my partner doesn't think we'd use it much. I can see that the Webber does allow you to use a Pizza stone but I can't imagine it being as good as a dedicated tool.

Soldato
Really want an Ooni but my partner doesn't think we'd use it much. I can see that the Webber does allow you to use a Pizza stone but I can't imagine it being as good as a dedicated tool.

A weber is not as good for pizza but it is a lot more versatile if you can only choose one.

Associate
A recipe I've used a few times now with no real fails has been:
4tsp salt, 1tsp ady, 1kg 00 flour, 200ml Boiling water, 400ml cold water

Stick the hot and cold water together (makes it the right temp for yeast - depending which u use) stick in yeast and I normally let it sit a little while.
Whack it all into a mixer and set it slow slow for 15 mins or so.
One done cover and let sit til increased 2/3 times in size
Knock it back and divide up into balls (normally does about 10 for us)

I'm giving this one a go now :)

1/2 the recipe as I don't need so much though

Back
Top Bottom