Home made pizza

Soldato
We are getting our garden done up in a few months and one of the things we always wanted to make sure we get is a pizza oven, neighbours have one and its great. Been looking into a gozney dome which is due for imminent release, tempted to pull the trigger when orders go live, seems about mid priced between the ooni’s before you get into stupid money territory.

Soldato
We are getting our garden done up in a few months and one of the things we always wanted to make sure we get is a pizza oven, neighbours have one and its great. Been looking into a gozney dome which is due for imminent release, tempted to pull the trigger when orders go live, seems about mid priced between the ooni’s before you get into stupid money territory.

You could build a proper brick oven for not much more than that.

Soldato
Bit of a thread revival, there are several threads about home made Pizza but this seems to be the most recent.

Going to give this a go on Saturday, been hankering after decent pizza for ages but I live in a rural area and what take aways etc are round here are pretty dire.

Got a Pizza stone for me oven, it does get pretty hot and well I'm not buying a pizza oven put it that way.

Tesco's don't seem to sell this 00 flour?

Associate
This is my go to recipe & i use a standard oven. The issue will remain that may be the base stays a little doughy and a pizza stone can help with that. If the base is soggy , it means your sauce is too watery. You can also try to squeeze the canned toms out of water and use that as a spread as it will be more dry. Another trick you can use is stick the base in first then mid way take it out and put the sauce and toppings. I think its hard to get a great base in a standard oven , but worth it none the less.

Soldato
400g Strong Bread Flour / 00 Flour (sometimes replace 100g of this with 100g WholeMeal / Grain Bread Flour)
100g fine semolina
7g Yeast
1/2 Teaspoon Rock/Sea Salt
2 Teaspoons Light Brown Sugar
2 tablespons of Olive oil

That's generally my go to recipe for pizza dough. It makes a good 4 30cm pizza bases.

HomeMade BBQ sauce as a base and BOOSH!

Soldato
400g Strong Bread Flour / 00 Flour (sometimes replace 100g of this with 100g WholeMeal / Grain Bread Flour)
100g fine semolina
7g Yeast
1/2 Teaspoon Rock/Sea Salt
2 Teaspoons Light Brown Sugar
2 tablespons of Olive oil

That's generally my go to recipe for pizza dough. It makes a good 4 30cm pizza bases.

HomeMade BBQ sauce as a base and BOOSH!

Yea thanks I'll try this will be using strong bread flour this time. I do have semolina though.

The toppings I'm not phased about at all, I do a fair amount of cooking so can get that sauce nice and thick. Definitely less is more with toppings.

Soldato
Gave this a couple of goes.

First time was nice enough but had issues with the raw pizza sticking then trying to get it on the thing to go onto the pizza stone so a couple of them git a bit ****** up.

Tonight got a better technique going and just using loads of semolina to stop everything sticking.

Pretty good, although I can see how getting a proper pizza oven would be better, I'm just not that bothered they are not too bad in the oven.

Soldato
Gave this a couple of goes.

First time was nice enough but had issues with the raw pizza sticking then trying to get it on the thing to go onto the pizza stone so a couple of them git a bit ****** up.

Tonight got a better technique going and just using loads of semolina to stop everything sticking.

Pretty good, although I can see how getting a proper pizza oven would be better, I'm just not that bothered they are not too bad in the oven.

I just cooked one tonight in the oven on a stone, was very pleased with the results, I used the above two videos for tips, but I used the Italian guys video for the ingredient measurements, I halved it though, so have one dough mixture in fridge for next time.

For the flour I used Alissons strong bread flour from sainsburys.

I was pleased with how the dough came out, perfect texture and nice and thin. Only thing I need to improve is the tomato base, can anyone recommend something from the supermarket that is good, what I used did not have much tomato flavour.

I need to get a small pizza shovel really to transfer easier to the stone, as you say can be tricky, I left mine on the surface of what I was transferring to oven for too long so it began to mould to it, but the semolina really does help.

Soldato
I just cooked one tonight in the oven on a stone, was very pleased with the results, I used the above two videos for tips, but I used the Italian guys video for the ingredient measurements, I halved it though, so have one dough mixture in fridge for next time.

For the flour I used Alissons strong bread flour from sainsburys.

I was pleased with how the dough came out, perfect texture and nice and thin. Only thing I need to improve is the tomato base, can anyone recommend something from the supermarket that is good, what I used did not have much tomato flavour.

I need to get a small pizza shovel really to transfer easier to the stone, as you say can be tricky, I left mine on the surface of what I was transferring to oven for too long so it began to mould to it, but the semolina really does help.

I just took a pan, put a couple of tins of chopped tomatoes, dried basil, seasoning, tiny bit of oil, cooked it slowly for ages to try and get as much water out as possible, then put it in a food processor.

Soldato
I just took a pan, put a couple of tins of chopped tomatoes, dried basil, seasoning, tiny bit of oil, cooked it slowly for ages to try and get as much water out as possible, then put it in a food processor.

Im trying to cut corners where possible and get something already made up, it takes me long enough making the dough. I will perhaps get a shop bought passata.

Associate
Have you tried making a frying pan pizza?

https://www.pizzapilgrims.co.uk/2017/06/frying-pan-pizza/

We've been using that method, and it creates the best tasting simple cheese and tomato pizza I've ever tasted.

There's a temptation to get an Ooni. But actually, they come out so well and they take so little time to make via this method, I've been questioning whether there's any point, and haven't hit 'buy' yet.

Might have to give this a go, although I've got electric hobs (yeah, I know) so the worry is getting the pan hot enough.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a pizza peel, Im only using a oven and stone, which Im happy with but getting the pizza in and out can be tricky, I was looking at the Ooni pizza peel, quite pricey but looks good quality, would this be ok? I was using some flour before to help move the pizza from the board I was using but recently started dusting surface with semolina .

Permabanned
Can anyone recommend a pizza peel, Im only using a oven and stone, which Im happy with but getting the pizza in and out can be tricky, I was looking at the Ooni pizza peel, quite pricey but looks good quality, would this be ok? I was using some flour before to help move the pizza from the board I was using but recently switched to semolina.

Have had a couple off amazon

This one is perforated and it was "ok" but now and again the holes would snag the pizza which caused big issues launching it into the oven.
Perforated Pizza Peel, Professional Rectangular Pizza Paddle,G.a HOMEFAVOR Anodized Aluminum Turning Pizza Oven Peel 12x14 Inch Blade : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

This one works much much better with a little semolina flour/flour dusted on the peel.
Pizza Peel, GA Homefavor Aluminum 12-Inch x 14-Inch Pizza Paddle -Hosting the Occasional Pizza Party- with Dismountable Wood Handle : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

But the Ooni solid peel looks fine to me, not actually that pricy compared to the above, the second one above I like has quite a long handle and might be unwieldy if cooking inside in the oven, so consider that when purchasing. :)

Soldato
Have had a couple off amazon

This one is perforated and it was "ok" but now and again the holes would snag the pizza which caused big issues launching it into the oven.
Perforated Pizza Peel, Professional Rectangular Pizza Paddle,G.a HOMEFAVOR Anodized Aluminum Turning Pizza Oven Peel 12x14 Inch Blade : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

This one works much much better with a little semolina flour/flour dusted on the peel.
Pizza Peel, GA Homefavor Aluminum 12-Inch x 14-Inch Pizza Paddle -Hosting the Occasional Pizza Party- with Dismountable Wood Handle : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

But the Ooni solid peel looks fine to me, not actually that pricy compared to the above, the second one above I like has quite a long handle and might be unwieldy if cooking inside in the oven, so consider that when purchasing. :)

Cheers, have the room in the kitchen so handle length is not much of a problem, I have been using a course semolina for the dusting, I know you can get fine semolina but I think the course may work better.

Anyway I guess its a case of dusting the peel with semolina, and then placing pizza base on peel and doing the topping as quickly as possible.

Permabanned
Cheers, have the room in the kitchen so handle length is not much of a problem, I have been using a course semolina for the dusting, I know you can get fine semolina but I think the course may work better.

Anyway I guess its a case of dusting the peel with semolina, and then placing pizza base on peel and doing the topping as quickly as possible.

Yeah pretty much, I tend to give it a jiggle make sure it's not stuck then launch into oven. :)

Back
Top Bottom