Horizon: Forbidden West

Soldato
Just finished the main quest and give it a generous 7/10. The story is a bit meh compared with the first. Think it could have down with a few more months in the oven as quite a few bugs and oddities.

V F

V F

Soldato
Just finished the main quest and give it a generous 7/10. The story is a bit meh compared with the first. Think it could have down with a few more months in the oven as quite a few bugs and oddities.

I'm kind of shocked how little it's doing on twitch. Either the fact streamers never were sponsored for it like other games or so many has little interest? Considering how I remember so many waited so eagerly for the sequel.

I don't understand how the popularity of it from 2017 doesn't exist the same as today.

Soldato
I'm kind of shocked how little it's doing on twitch. Either the fact streamers never were sponsored for it like other games or so many has little interest? Considering how I remember so many waited so eagerly for the sequel.

I don't understand how the popularity of it from 2017 doesn't exist the same as today.

I suspect its cause most twitch streamers who bring in the money get it from multi player games

Soldato
Hmm so I think I've come across a quest bug.
I spoke to Varl and Zo at the entrance to Plainsong and they indicate the Chorus is ongoing and I should meet them on an upper level. I decided to then go out and explore and do some other quests but now I've come back to Plainsong and Varl and Zo are standing on an upper level near a bridge but there isn't a prompt to talk to them. The marker is next to Zo but no prompt. I'm wondering if I need to do something else but I've no idea. Restarted from a previous save but same result.
Hmmm.

Caporegime
@darkgen Sometimes the prompt to speak to someone is a bit janky. Try walking slowly around her, if that doesn't work try increasing/decreasing the distance and walk around again. I've had a prompt that only worked from behind someone in one instance.

Soldato
Thanks.
I've just gone through several autosave loads and finally they have both now moved from one of end of the bridge, where they were standing several metres apart talking to each other, to next to a hut and I now have a prompt!

I had noticed how finickity the prompts appear when interacting with people, campfires and resources.

I hope this quest shuts these folk up; their incessant singing is doing my nut in! :)

Soldato
I have been playing a bit over the weekend. I have the Faros Tomb main mission to do next but i have been doing a load of the side missions and errands.

Those drones are a bit disappointing and dont really have much use other than a holographic in the Gaia room. I have just done the side mission where i got the parts and data for stumpy to get his new arm. Fighting 2 of the Spectres was pretty tough but my god that drill spike is flipping awesome. Its just a pity they dont drop some insane future tech.

So i did the mission in Vegas and got the subroutine for Gaia but after a while it said i should check back with them. So i did and they gave me some more missions. I have done the one in the Balloon and the one where i have to collect the artifact. I have not done the boom woman one yet. I noticed that in the top of the building where i first met the 3 delvers right next to the story teller guy there is now a locked top tier box but i cant figure out how to open it. Any ideas? I was hoping that after finding the artifact for the story teller he would unlock it.

Strangely i have also been experiencing random screen blanking out. It seems to mainly happen round the Vegas area or when something loads in.

Man of Honour
I refuse to fast travel, so it’s taking a bit longer. I’ve not even found the arena yet or know what half the items I’ve discovered are for. My biggest complaint at the moment is that climbing is rubbish - I like the idea of it, but the implementation is crap. Half the time Aloy should be able to pull herself onto the top of a cliff she can’t. Then you have jumps that sometimes she auto jumps and sometimes she doesn’t, you have no idea which it’ll be and fall off when you get it wrong.

I also had a random screen blank yesterday when I jumped off one of the mountains - I thought my power had gone out. It needs another good patch.

Caporegime
I've just finished it and with the platinum to boot. So, what can I say? I'm going to give it a 9/10. Almost up there with Mass Effect 2 for me.

This time last week, I was moaning to high heaven about not liking such and such, this weapon was nerfed, the bows were too complicated, there wasn't enough weaponry with different kinds of elemental damage, etc etc. In the end it all worked out. I managed to get all the different damage types in those six weapon slots so I felt right at home. As for things feeling like they've been nerfed, I think the gameplay mechanisms are now actually working as they're supposed to. In the first game, it didn't seem to make a massive difference if you were hitting armour instead of the machine flesh underneath. But now it does, you can see the acid arrows corroding the different armour plates and exposing the weak spots underneath. Then there are the multitude of skills which enable you to regain back some of the "nerfed" capability such as the relatively rubbish rope weapon being able to pierce armour for more effective tie downs.

I can sort of see why they have machines leaping at you now, there are all sorts of melee combos which I only learned towards the end by fighting in the pits. Some of them can propel you out of trouble. And maxing out concentration can help, also. The only thing I really missed was the extra-long roll Aloy did in the first game. She doesn't really move very far now.

There were some really great moments and surprises along the way
being able to ride a Sunwing. I was convinced they would never include flying when it became a PS4 game as well as the system didn't have the power but it seems it did. The world looks amazing from the air.

The NPCs are probably the best I've ever seen in terms of their facial expressions. The motion capture is great. The world is absolutely beautiful, so rich in detail. I just don't like it at night when you can barely see it.

I never saw the final plot twist coming until they revealed it. I did have an easy time with it as I changed to the lowest difficulty half way through but I feel like I could go back to the beginning and play it "properly" now I have a good grasp of all the game mechanics.

Overall, very pleased indeed. Guerrilla have done a fantastic job and I can't wait to see where they take it next. I'm guessing there's going to be some
where you have to try and recover Hephaestus (and maybe take a trip to the Odyssey to get the Apollo database).

Soldato
At Lv29 I’ve got a mission bug myself now and it’s driving me nuts because it involves an npc joining me to find a friend.

The only problem is, said friend has been found and the quest tells me to try out a new weapon she’s given me on a nearby monster. There’s no one for miles!

I tried going on another missions but she follows me everywhere and constantly talks to me lol.

I need to look into it more tonight.

Soldato
Fixed my bugged Boom or Bust quest in Vegas by reloading a previous save one level down at 28. The climax of the quest was utter frustration.

You end up facing a big monsta but it is clear that said monsta fires ice balls that home in on you because Aloy spent 90% of the fight on her back. I swear she’d fall over if a fly hit her. It truly is tedious to fight mobs like this because you can’t adopt any tactic since the mob is on constant aggro mode.

It reminds me of HZD when you encounter a Rock Breaker for the first time in an open outdoor quarry. You can develop a tactic as the machine doesn’t always attack you, yet an earlier Horizon 2 mission introduces you to a Rock Breaker and the mob yet again is in constant attack mode so Aloy is all over the floor.

I know Frozen Wilds had daemon machines that were super aggressive but sometimes fights in Horizon2 are just messy.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just can't put this game down, been playing non stop. The world is stunning really, I have been working through some of the side quests tonight and really impressed with the variety and writing, they feel pretty good. Sometimes I forget they are just side quests!

Characters are really good, I can see me going for the 100%. It's a game where I cannot wait to just jump back in! Not had that feeling in a long time. :)

Soldato
Fixed my bugged Boom or Bust quest in Vegas by reloading a previous save one level down at 28. The climax of the quest was utter frustration.

You end up facing a big monsta but it is clear that said monsta fires ice balls that home in on you because Aloy spent 90% of the fight on her back. I swear she’d fall over if a fly hit her. It truly is tedious to fight mobs like this because you can’t adopt any tactic since the mob is on constant aggro mode.

It reminds me of HZD when you encounter a Rock Breaker for the first time in an open outdoor quarry. You can develop a tactic as the machine doesn’t always attack you, yet an earlier Horizon 2 mission introduces you to a Rock Breaker and the mob yet again is in constant attack mode so Aloy is all over the floor.

I know Frozen Wilds had daemon machines that were super aggressive but sometimes fights in Horizon2 are just messy.

I did that mission last night. I find that a lot of the machines, particularly the bigger ones that are not in open areas, can be cheesed on some of the fights particularly this one. Aloy fires that spinny thing from her right hand so it was easy to hide behind a big rock and fire at the left side of the machine and avoiding most of the ice blasts while its firing at you.

I did the mission in the Valley of the Fallen(Think thats what its called) last night, same thing, an area with a Thunderjaw and Tremourtusk. I managed to get on top of some of that old machine wreckage out of line of fire, killed the flying machine first then went to town from a distance that they could rarely hit me and i did it very easily. I will however say, the clipping on all the wreckage can be dreadful in this game at times. I have often, specifically on the big old machine wreckage, got stuck and had to fast travel away.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
I refuse to fast travel, so it’s taking a bit longer. I’ve not even found the arena yet or know what half the items I’ve discovered are for. My biggest complaint at the moment is that climbing is rubbish - I like the idea of it, but the implementation is crap. Half the time Aloy should be able to pull herself onto the top of a cliff she can’t. Then you have jumps that sometimes she auto jumps and sometimes she doesn’t, you have no idea which it’ll be and fall off when you get it wrong.

I also had a random screen blank yesterday when I jumped off one of the mountains - I thought my power had gone out. It needs another good patch.

I hate it when things start chasing you and you've no choice to start climbing. It takes forever! This isn't gymnastics. Machines are on my ass!

Soldato
I'm enjoying this game but can't help noticing the difference between the gameplay at 1800p and the cut scenes that are 4k. By the time this hits PCs it'll probably be a better gaming experience at 4k.

And there lies the trade off. I haven't touched my PC since I got the PS5 but as time goes on I think I might end up back on PC, especially for the non console exclusives.

Back
Top Bottom