Horn, can I fit a louder one ?

Soldato
Hello,

I think the horn in my car is way too silent and sounds rubbish, can I retrofit the horn with a louder one ( perhaps from another car), would going to a breakers and fitting a different one to the one I have work ok ( eg. from another type of car) ? I only have a ''single'' horn which I can barely hear myself when listening to music at medium volume, reving the engine to 5k makes more noise than it :(. Quite useless on the motorway too... Also, my mates laughed at me when I was honking at them and told me my car has a gay horn :p.

Any ideas how to start, how much it would cost, and if I can fit one from a different car, what cars generally have loud horns ?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just checked the Dutch law on this, I can only have one tone klaxon's but there is no rule about the max amount of noise it can produce, so what kind of single tone cheap but loud horn can I pick up for about 50€ max and fit it easily on my Volvo V40 ?

Soldato
OP
Does anyone actually EVER use their horn ?

Yes, when someone cuts me up/ changes lanes without looking on the motorway.
And when (often eastern european) trucks decide to overtake on the motorway at times & days they are not allowed to.

And when one of my stupid mates who also just got his license stalls his car at the lights, AGAIN, while I + many others are waiting behind him ( though obviously just to annoy him) :p.

Soldato
OP
I've never used my horn. I don't plan to even in times of need as mini horns sound so, so silly.

So what are you planning to when for example a bus tries to drive into you/ ram you off the road trying to get into your lane while you are driving alongside him and he doesn't see you ( happened to me recently when just exiting the motorway, stupid coach indicated and then proceeded to move onto my lane while I was driving alongside him forcing me onto the shoulder lane :mad:).

Soldato
OP
Holy thread revival but I just ordered a stebel nautilus from ebay, hopefully, next time I use my horn people will actually notice me rather then proceeding to do whatever to ram me off the road and hopefully my mates won't laugh at me when I use my horn :p. Hopefully the standard wiring can take the 18 amps this baby needs :).

Soldato
OP
29052010238.jpg

Fitted it but it's not as loud as I thought it would be, really pathetic this is the legal limit. Then again the holes where ( I think) most of the sound comes from are pointing to the back rather than the front, I guess I'll try rotating it within the next couple of weeks. Using the stock cabling not using the relay. Fitted it in the same place the stock horn was.
It does sound far more mature though.

Soldato
OP
That's the baby version for bikes etc. You definitely need to turn it around, pointless having a horn blasting into your engine bay.

I understand the original non compact version would have a different tone, but overall it would be just as loud ? I mean this one is also only just within the legal limit.

Back
Top Bottom