House security what you got?

Soldato
This type of theft may have been prevented by a car cover, because they were looking at targets on the night. I guess there are pros and cons to that though. It's inconvenient to put on and it might draw more attention. Personally in some areas of the UK I wouldn't want to own a nice car that might be targetted. It's a shame but I'd rather not have to worry about it.

Soldato
OP
This type of theft may have been prevented by a car cover, because they were looking at targets on the night. I guess there are pros and cons to that though. It's inconvenient to put on and it might draw more attention. Personally in some areas of the UK I wouldn't want to own a nice car that might be targetted. It's a shame but I'd rather not have to worry about it.
Yeah it does have me wandering both if they declare it a write off this week and pay up or if they repair it and give it back. Not sure, I just feel like the ease of which they stole it and got into my home was and is my main concern.

Associate
Is there any chance you can get bollards put on the drive infront of the car?
You can get some fancy electronic ones as well.
This is going to a full proof way of the car not being taken - even if they manage to get into the vehicle and engine on.

In reality, if they see bollards, that will be a big enough deterrent in itself.

Soldato
Multipoint locks on the doors... That's all
This.

When my old London house was burgled in 2015, they smashed the lock on the French doors into the dining room that opened out on the rear garden with a rock from the garden.

Doors dated from 2003 and only locked into each other and 2 points on the frame. Side door was more modern and had locks that wouldn’t open if smashed.

Replaced French doors with multipoint locking ones and paid extra for a new front multipoint locking door as we realised that could be breached easily if the burglars didn’t mind being seen doing so.

Got ADT system installed and CCTV system with PIR floodlights outside.

Fitted a lock box for keys, though my CR-V wasn’t exactly sought after by car thieves.

Soldato
He didn't yet reply on what lock he has

maybe police will reveal the most common local break in motives ... but you can view it as they found the keys quickly and left, rather than being in house for extended time,
or taking much else .. maybe you have thorough back-ups of any laptops, unlike me.

Soldato
Is there any chance you can get bollards put on the drive infront of the car?
You can get some fancy electronic ones as well.
This is going to a full proof way of the car not being taken - even if they manage to get into the vehicle and engine on.

In reality, if they see bollards, that will be a big enough deterrent in itself.
Then they just hold you at knife point to release the bollard.

Soldato
My house was empty when it was burgled, but my wife thinks they legged it as she returned home as she’d only been gone 10 minutes.

The went through drawers in the bedrooms, taking about £50 worth of costume jewellery, a broken Steinhart watch and an old iPhone.

Plod were on scene really fast and my inner sceptic thinks this was done to the address being flagged as having licensed firearms stored there, especially as my wife was asked where they were stored and a copper checked the safe was still secure. Locksmith turned up 30 minutes after the police without my wife calling them, though this might be SOP.

Soldato
360° CCTV & lighting (recording to in-camera SDXC cards, separate hidden NVR and cloud backup), hidden safe, Ultion locks front & rear, fire alarms that can be triggered by Alexa, Motability S-Max (hybrid for extra "I'm so beige, rob someone else"-ness).

Biggest deterrent is the fact that my neighbour is a lottery-winner who refused to move out of his council house, so he parks his McLaren behind my S-Max...

He's got way more easy-to-fence stuff to pinch, than we've got.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hikvision 4K CCTV on the front looking over drive and my sons work van(on road) , rear pair of old 1080p covering the garden and a burglar alarm fitted . One base ball bat with plastic still on (wipe clean)beside my bed with a catchers glove and ball ;)

Soldato
360° CCTV & lighting (recording to in-camera SDXC cards, separate hidden NVR and cloud backup), hidden safe, Ultion locks front & rear, fire alarms that can be triggered by Alexa, Motability S-Max (hybrid for extra "I'm so beige, rob someone else"-ness).

Biggest deterrent is the fact that my neighbour is a lottery-winner who refused to move out of his council house, so he parks his McLaren behind my S-Max. He's got way more easy-to-fence stuff to pinch than us.

Oh, forgot our highly-trained, attack* Cockapoo...

(*120db yapping counts as an audible assault, right?)

Associate
My local village (~800 people) reported zero crime 10 years running. They even shut down the small police station a few years back as they had nothing to do.

Population 800ish
Average age 75

Says it all really...

Soldato
Eufy cameras, drop bolts on garage door. Double glazed and laminated rear garage door.
Avocet locks all round.
But if they want something.......

Soldato
OP
I’ve got 3 star ultion locks being installed next week had to pay extra to upgrade them. Looking at cctv systems as a deterrent think I want a decent gate for the side of my house and then probably a house alarm.

Soldato
I’ve got 3 star ultion locks being installed next week had to pay extra to upgrade them. Looking at cctv systems as a deterrent think I want a decent gate for the side of my house and then probably a house alarm.
They aren't 3 star jack all if your handles aren't compatible. Just easy money for the locksmith

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom