Housing crisis solutions

Soldato
That's hardly a recently discovered revelation that the sacrifice now is overly excessive due to a real life problem cause by other people. Not because I am making it one by eating Domino's.. (which I'm not) Im pretty insulted that people feel the need to belittle trying as I am when the target is being ever increasingly further away out of greed by the same people (maybe) who are berating me.
Given that I watch the older generation achieve the same lofty heights with a lot less hassle. When did it become customary to bend over and get shafted, then say sorry?

People aren't belittling you for saying that it is tough for some to buy a house today, they're pointing out the steps you could take to achieve your goal but which you refuse to acknowledge because you believe somebody else has made it too hard for you. Unless you're incredibly unlucky or a complete fool most of life's problems are made by other people.

Yes, it is tough today but it wasn't a bed of roses in the past. The mortgage market was restricted until the 80s, and most women then were barred from home ownership. Before then married couples saw the wife's income disregarded, and you had to save with a building society for years to prove your credit worthiness before finally donning a suit and going to beg for a loan to buy a house. I bought my first house (a repossession) in the mid 90s and the mortgage rate was 9% - in a matter of months it had risen to over 13%.

You make it sound like everyone from the previous generation went out and bought a house, and then bought more houses. Guess what - they didn't. If you owned your own house today and had £50,000 sitting in the bank with the same unwavering belief that house prices were going to continue to rise and be increasingly less affordable for the next generation - a situation that you could invest in to better your own retirement and future, would you buy again?

Soldato
Yet you and other are ignoring that it's a documented fact that the rises in the sacrifice has become way over most actual ability. This is a fact, not me being lazy. What happens next I struggle hard and manage it and the generation below me simple struggle harder etc etc. Your purposely judging me in an environment that is difficult rather than realizing that there is more than myself at the root cause of the problem.

I said I couldn't give a toss because the argument I made was that it shouldn't be this hard, because of a crisis, which you ignored and said instead that it should be this hard and I should try harder. That's not a solution that's a judgement.
I'm almost wondering if your trolling me.

Are you denying that a housing crisis isn't making buying a house harder than previous generations? Dear god

Nobody's denying that is is hard for many to buy a first house today. People are pointing out that, despite it being hard, you don't seem to want to accept that and want the situation to change to make it easier rather than address your own situation.

Caporegime
Yes, it is tough today but it wasn't a bed of roses in the past. The mortgage market was restricted until the 80s, and most women then were barred from home ownership. Before then married couples saw the wife's income disregarded, and you had to save with a building society for years to prove your credit worthiness before finally donning a suit and going to beg for a loan to buy a house. I bought my first house (a repossession) in the mid 90s and the mortgage rate was 9% - in a matter of months it had risen to over 13%.

These are all very good points. In terms of interest rates for example, the last few years have been great.
If you said to someone in the early 80's that you were getting a fixed 10 year rate at 2-3% they would have laughed at you.

Soldato
OP
Nobody's denying that is is hard for many to buy a first house today. People are pointing out that, despite it being hard, you don't seem to want to accept that and want the situation to change to make it easier rather than address your own situation.

That's not the flipping argument though, the op was a way to change a problem that is getting worse and worse and worse with no end in sight.
Your all now saying your trying to help me when I don't want help to struggle harder, I feel that it's well within my rights to struggle as hard as something that isn't crisis. The word crisis says it all. Would it be a struggle if there were lots of house?
But some have the audacity to say because I've googled a real problem that I'm not trying.
It's not flipping new news, it's being documented everywhere. I'm sure I could find thousands of articles about it. It's simply fact it's is way harder now to buy than it has ever been.
Why shouldn't that be solved rather than trying to make life harder for people.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Between 2000 and 2014, average earnings rose by 51%, but average house prices rose by 132%.”

I'm guessing someone on 20k would now be on 30k but their 100k house would now be 232k to buy.

But you've made the massive assumption that 20k in 2000 was without sacrifice and assumed that it was chicken feed and they've made a huge profit !

20k in 2000 was a high / non profesional wage.

They still had to make the jump, deposit / mortgage / cut down your lifestyle.

Caporegime

Because the economy is incredibly complex and it is not an easy problem to solve.

If it was easy for the government to go - *poof - easily affordable lovely homes in all parts of the country for everyone!* then it would be done. Unfortunately it is a highly complex balancing act. Unfortunately your suggestion could lead to a massive housing market crash plunging most of the population into negative equity which is the last thing anyone needs.

The fact is, you CAN afford it, and quite easily as well, so if you want it, take it, especially whilst interest rates are so low - and could even go lower! ( a big advantage you have overlooked compared with people buying in the 80's for example)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
But you've made the massive assumption that 20k in 2000 was without sacrifice and assumed that it was chicken feed and they've made a huge profit !

20k in 2000 was a high / non profesional wage.

They still had to make the jump, deposit / mortgage / cut down your lifestyle.

But given that wages haven't rsen 132% I'd say it was what more than twice as easy, but that's mixing percentages and I'm probably wrong.
Regardless it doesn't matter what 20k was or who had it, it's not proportional to the house price rise of someone in this day an age on an equivalent wage.

I'm going to bed as its like talking to a brick wall.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's not the flipping argument though, the op was a way to change a problem that is getting worse and worse and worse with no end in sight.
Your all now saying your trying to help me when I don't want help to struggle harder, I feel that it's well within my rights to struggle as hard as something that isn't crisis. The word crisis says it all. Would it be a struggle if there were lots of house?
But some have the audacity to say because I've googled a real problem that I'm not trying.
It's not flipping new news, it's being documented everywhere. I'm sure I could find thousands of articles about it. It's simply fact it's is way harder now to buy than it has ever been.

Ok, so let me be a little more direct. You've started this thread by saying that there's a housing crisis. The majority would agree that it is more difficult today for people to buy their first house.

You've then brought your own personal situation - income and housing needs/wants - into this thread, and it is clear to most that you're not in a crisis. In fact, it is actually a similar situation to others who've managed to do what they need to do to solve it and buy their house. You've then disregarded the solutions for your own situation and instead focussed on your belief that you're entitled to the problem to not be yours at all. That it is your right to not have to struggle this hard.

None of this changes anything, not least the fact that you appear to have more than sufficient means to change your own situation and address your own version of this crisis, but refuse to acknowledge it as an option.

Soldato
OP
Because the economy is incredibly complex and it is not an easy problem to solve.

If it was easy for the government to go - *poof - easily affordable lovely homes in all parts of the country for everyone!* then it would be done. Unfortunately it is a highly complex balancing act. Unfortunately your suggestion could lead to a massive housing market crash plunging most of the population into negative equity which is the last thing anyone needs.

The fact is, you CAN afford it, and quite easily as well, so if you want it, take it, especially whilst interest rates are so low - and could even go lower! ( a big advantage you have overlooked compared with people buying in the 80's for example)

How does that make any difference. Imagine I didn't have a few hundred quid deposable income, and I couldn't afford it. Would that still be my fault and I should try harder, or because the prices are documented over inflated and excessive at beyond the National average wage maybe that's more likely a larger issue? Jesus christ **** me,

Soldato
But given that wages haven't rsen 132% I'd say it was what more than twice as easy, but that's mixing percentages and I'm probably wrong.
Regardless it doesn't matter what 20k was or who had it, it's not proportional to the house price rise of someone in this day an age on an equivalent wage.

You are definitely wrong.

When you wake up, stop banging your head against the wall of resentment and just start to understand that, with some effort, you can actually buy a house even if you are very angry at how much it might cost you.

Soldato
How does that make any difference. Imagine I didn't have a few hundred quid deposable income, and I couldn't afford it. Would that still be my fault and I should try harder, or because the prices are documented over inflated and excessive at beyond the National average wage maybe that's more likely a larger issue? Jesus christ **** me,

But you do have several hundred pounds of disposable income, and you can afford it - you just don't want to. Not everyone can afford to buy a home today, not everyone could afford to buy a home in 1990 and, guess what, not everyone in 1960 bought their own home either.

Soldato
OP
Ok, so let me be a little more direct. You've started this thread by saying that there's a housing crisis. The majority would agree that it is more difficult today for people to buy their first house.

You've then brought your own personal situation - income and housing needs/wants - into this thread, and it is clear to most that you're not in a crisis. In fact, it is actually a similar situation to others who've managed to do what they need to do to solve it and buy their house. You've then disregarded the solutions for your own situation and instead focussed on your belief that you're entitled to the problem to not be yours at all. That it is your right to not have to struggle this hard.

None of this changes anything, not least the fact that you appear to have more than sufficient means to change your own situation and address your own version of this crisis, but refuse to acknowledge it as an option.

I didn't bring in my own personal situation someone else brought up some random figures and I said it was similar, doesn't mean it's a perfect analogy for me being able to afford it, or how much I'm saving. Which still has little to no reflection on the issue of actually having to pay massive prices that shouldn't be allowed.

Soldato

Bit of both. Definitely an entitlement feeling among my generation. I've been lucky enough to get a house, thanks to some inheritance (made 50% of my deposit), but most people my age still wouldn't have been able to buy in my situation because they wouldn't have saved anything at all themselves.

With that said, if i hadn't had inheritance then i'd have been stumped / severely delayed to buy and this is due to house prices going up faster than wages. To make out like there is no difference to past times is wrong, but there is some truth in people being less prepared to work for it or blaming it all on others.

Soldato
I didn't bring in my own personal situation someone else brought up some random figures and I said it was similar, doesn't mean it's a perfect analogy for me being able to afford it, or how much I'm saving. Which still has little to no reflection on the issue of actually having to pay massive prices that shouldn't be allowed.

And that's the point. You can afford to buy but you don't want to pay the price.

Soldato
OP
And that's the point. You can afford to buy but you don't want to pay the price.

So that makes me entitled does it. For not wanting to be shafted because of a HOUSING CRISIS. Forgive me for starting a thread with an idea on how to be treated fairly. I'll go save up now for a loaf of bread incase asda decide to charge me ten k for one because I'm so entitled to believe they should be a quid.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not that bad Chronic imagine if you and your partner each work 37 hours a week for minimum wage. It's a much more hopeless situation for a lot of people.

Soldato
So that makes me entitled does it. For not wanting to be shafted because of a HOUSING CRISIS. Forgive me for starting a thread with an idea on how to be treated fairly. I'll go save up now for a loaf of bread incase asda decide to charge me ten k for one because I'm so entitled to believe they should be a quid.

I never mentioned entitled, but you did. Twice. There isn't a bread crisis (unless you're an arable farmer, and you're just being plain silly now by relating bread prices to residential property) but there's been widespread recognition in this thread that it is difficult now to buy a first home. Your many posts, mostly recently stating 'SHAFTED' continue to suggest that you just don't like the price, and that you resent the fact that others have bought at a different price and you think that this is being treated unfairly.

Tea Drinker
Don
I've listened to people talk about a mythical price crash for fifteen years. We've been through two economic cycles with a global financial crisis and prices have still more than doubled. House prices double every ten years.

I know people who five years ago sold their property and moved into rented accommodation purely on the basis they 'called' the market and we're 'getting out'. You think you feel bad. They still rent.

What's that proverb? When's the two best times to plant a tree? Twenty years ago and today.

Back
Top Bottom