Housing crisis solutions

Soldato
Owning a property is not vital though is it. I can understand your frustration as I was in similar position. I couldn't quite afford property in area that I'd liked so bought instead 10 miles away.

Soldato
OP
Can you not find someone to buy somewhere with? Do you have a partner/wife/girlfriend?

I do and we both earn in excess of 25+ but with rent of 900 a month plus bills ect, you can't make 15k each easily, and when you do your options are limited to garbage properties.
My problem is how am I expected to have a life or family which cost a lot of money when basically all I can afford is rent and saving for a mortgage.
All thanks to people in there 50s sitting back and raking it in. Ban them and allow others to live like they did.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I do and we both earn in excess of 25+ but with rent of 900 a month plus bills ect, you can't make 15k each easily, and when you do your options are limited to garbage properties.

Dude. Move! That's insane.

I rented before I bought and had a decent sized two bed bungalow in a really nice area, three minute walk from the beach for half that.

Soldato
Keep an eye out for Repo properties. They can be had cheaper - that's the only reason I have a house! Saved nearly £40k on it....

+ having a major accident gave me enough for a sizeable deposit.... I wouldn't advise that though!

Caporegime
My problem is how am I expected to have a life or family which cost a lot of money when basically all I can afford is rent and saving for a mortgage.

My partner and I earned less than you both combined and still bought a 200k new build property in a nice part of West Sussex after renting for a while (at a similar rate to what you are now).

I think if you are on 50k+ combined household income with no kids you should be able to save and afford to get on the ladder quite easily, even in the South East :confused:

Obviously you cant expect a palace though.

I can understand how it would be difficult on your own but with two 25k+ incomes? Very doable.

Last edited:
Soldato
*looks at annual net migration figures*

That won't help you. Stopping immigration will not solve the problem. As can already be seen post referendum. Developers will just stop building new houses to keep prices high.

Only way to solve it, is for government to invest and build loads of houses. But they won't do it as too much of UK economy is dependent on high property value.

Soldato
Dude. Move! That's insane.

I rented before I bought and had a decent sized two bed bungalow in a really nice area, three minute walk from the beach for half that.

Seriously this! But if you dont want to move then go for the "garbage property" option, least your on the ladder right ? Get some equity, upgrade later. You cant always buy your shiny dream house as your first property. I certainly havent.

Man of Honour
They need to allow alternative housing, like tiny houses. All councils should have to put infrastructure in for such estates.
There's always cheaper houses and you don't need 20k+ 5% deposit is all you need.
However I still don't want to spend so much on something so rubbish. Stupid laws, essentially forcing you into debt. A small plot with a tiny house on it would be perfect.

Soldato
But it's not available to all as prices become artificially inflated.

But by definition, if people are retaining properties to rent out, which they would have otherwise sold, then rents should be proportionally lower, allowing renters to save a deposit faster.

However, there is no sign that the rental market is any less buoyant than the buyers market. So instead of people trying to blame each other for property being expensive, why don't they look somewhere else for a solution.

Associate
Hold on there will a a correction at some point, there simply has to be what is happening is unsustainable for much longer. It's frankly scandelous and corrupt what the powers of be have let happen to the UK hosuing maket.

Alternatively just rent and let the tax payer pick up the tab when you are retired and don't have your own place to live in. You won't be the only one.

Soldato
OP
See now you just sound entitled. So its not that there isnt affordable housing for you, its just not up to your standards ?

No, someone said I should go to the very very bottom of the ladder or the sake of it. What I was saying is I'm not the only one being forced there. Why should I and others be forsaken with that for the sake of others being glutinous and then the bottom prices going up due to demand also.

I worded my initial reply lazily because of writing on a phone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom