• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How are people with 3000 series cards faring with PSU usage?

Soldato
See that's the beauty of standards. ATX is one and includes specifications for rail voltages with transient loads applied. if all the components stick to the known standards it's not a problem.

If you want a LOL wattage PSU then go right ahead and buy one. Doubt you need it. Nvidia say 750W, and they're assuming it might be a bit of a ****** PSU. So stick with that unless you're running a 10980XE at 5.3GHz all core.

Associate
OP
Let's assume gpu spikes to 600W and CPU running around 250W. 850/12V = 70A so in theory and single rail with 62.5A aren't enough right?

Man of Honour
The above PSUs will run cool and quiet even with an overclocked 3090 and CPU.

A lot of the reason I've generally gone a little overkill and recommend a little overkill with PSUs - tend to result in cooler, quieter PSU with more of an overhead to cope with ageing and potentially cleaner supply (though regulation efficiency can come into play there).

Nothing good has ever come from cheaping out or cutting it too fine with a PSU in my experience.

Associate
I have a 5 year old Corsair 600w bronze psu, it's working well with the 3070 zotac oc.

I did pick up a Corsair 750w bronze psu, but I haven't needed to use it thus far. At least I have a replacement.

Associate
I have a 3070 and a 550w PSU, I have a power monitor and at peak gaming the whole system draws 370w. I have a i7 7800k (not overclocked) processor.

Last edited:
Associate
Is that including transient spikes? Impressively low
I have no idea if there are spikes. It hasn't turned itself off or anything and my 3DMark scores seem about the expected level. The 3080 is undervolted and restricted to 1900Mhz. Doing that actually gave me higher scores than leaving it at stock and letting it reach 2050Mhz (which it only did intermittently, whereas undervolted it stays at 1905Mhz). My 1660 Super is never under heavy load. It is purely there for additional displays in xplane. The 3080 is doing all rendering.

Associate
OP
Lets assume that the stated wattage is for continuous load, and transients can go higher as long as the voltage meets ATX spec.

Is there any literature to support this? Would be nice to know exactly what level of current spike it can handle without ocp kicking in. My manufacturer advised 850W version which can handle 40A on GPU rail
I have no idea if there are spikes. It hasn't turned itself off or anything and my 3DMark scores seem about the expected level. The 3080 is undervolted and restricted to 1900Mhz. Doing that actually gave me higher scores than leaving it at stock and letting it reach 2050Mhz (which it only did intermittently, whereas undervolted it stays at 1905Mhz). My 1660 Super is never under heavy load. It is purely there for additional displays in xplane. The 3080 is doing all rendering.
Very interesting. I wonder if the driver update plus your undervolt and restriction help it there.

Associate
What's the 1660s for?
Extra screens on xplane. I tried a GT710 for the secondary but it was stuttering. I am considering a setup with six 1080p screens. Obviously cannot do that on just the 3080. I haven't yet tried it, due to lack of monitors. All I have done so far is validate that one screen on the 3080 and two on the 1660 super is smooth. GPU monitoring shows that the 3080 is doing the rendering. All that is required of the 1660 is a good pixel filtrate.

I am hoping the 3080 will have the power to render what amounts to about 6K of pixels and the 1660 will just be displaying the output for the two side windows displays.

I have seen people run three 4K TVs with xplane on a 2080Ti. However I do not have the room for three 50inch screens. 1080p side screens that I can pull out on draw slides will be more space efficient.

Before anyone says it, I don't want VR. Lol.

Associate
TechpowerUp said 750 is fine for the 3080. My superflower 850w seems to be coping just fine with a 3090 even if the power limit is upped to 400W.

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_wtoCBahhM&t=1090s

Fine dont mean much.
Time and usage patterns are different so cheeping out on psu is not a good thing.
You want to understand two things, psu and mboard are key components so the rest will work.
850w is minimum today for a modern computer.
Todays hardware react to load dynamically meaning it will spike more than previous older generations.
Think a bit before you listen to websites that dont understand that

Associate
Fine dont mean much.
Time and usage patterns are different so cheeping out on psu is not a good thing.
You want to understand two things, psu and mboard are key components so the rest will work.
Todays hardware react to load dynamically meaning it will spike more than previous older generations.
Think a bit before you listen to websites that dont understand that
Sorry, but I think that is not true. A 650W PSU is enough for a non-overclocked system with a 3070 GPU.

Soldato
RTX 3090 oc and 9900k @5.0ghz all core, gaming loads are around 580-600w at the wall so abit below that at the psu with efficiency losses etc. Using a 750w EVGA GQ psu, does the job nicely but bought a 1000w platinum just to be safe lol, overkill really...

Readings taken from a watt meter.

Soldato

Rubbish. It's overkill / e-peen.

Sorry, but I think that is not true. A 650W PSU is enough for a non-overclocked system with a 3070 GPU.

This. My decent 550W is fine, barely pulling over 300W at the wall with a mild overclock and a pile of spinning rust in there. Hell, I've still got a spare 8pin PCI-E cable.

650W would run a 3080 comfortably, short of a heavily overclocked 9900k/10900K.

Soldato
RTX 3090 oc and 9900k @5.0ghz all core, gaming loads are around 580-600w at the wall so abit below that at the psu with efficiency losses etc. Using a 750w EVGA GQ psu, does the job nicely but bought a 1000w platinum just to be safe lol, overkill really...

Readings taken from a watt meter.

And here lies the truth. If your PSU is decent you don't need anything like as much wattage as Nvidia recommend.

Would be interested to know whether you have fs2020 and have tried that though.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Will let you know. I've got a Palit 3090 Gamerock OC arriving today to pair with my Superflower 750W PSU. It does support 62A on the 12V rail and 2 separate PCI-E cables. My 1080 + i9 pull 360W from the wall during AC: Valhalla. So going to check out the same area with the 3090 and see what the difference is.

Same. I spoke to Seasonic on CS as they were giving away free cables for the 30 series 12-pin and he was OK with it but did mention the 3090 'recommended' a 850w.

I have a 750w gold Seasonic - ed

Back
Top Bottom