How bad is pick pocketing in Barcelona?

Caporegime
It seems we've been really lucky having travelled extensively and never being pick pocketed (of course this is tempting fate...). We've been to Barcelona three times and had no issues. Tight jean pockets might be the answer maybe? Also travelled with a dslr and no issues.

Soldato
I was on a stag do with friends, 3 of us got dipped in a co-ordinated prostitute attack, had no idea till we got back to the apartment that our phones was gone.

I wasnt even that mad, it was impressive as hell - they grab your balls as a distraction and as we were wearing suits, the phones just slipped out no problem at all.

Soldato
I think it's because he is going to be carrying an engagement ring, I know I was on edge doing the same thing in Rome.

Maybe worrying about pick pockets helps you not worry about the actual proposal? :p

Soldato
OP
I think it's because he is going to be carrying an engagement ring, I know I was on edge doing the same thing in Rome.

Maybe worrying about pick pockets helps you not worry about the actual proposal? :p

Pretty much! I'm not too worried about the proposal just getting down on one knee and it not being in my pocket! I'll just pretend to tie my shoe lace :p

Associate
I went to Barcelona for a few days and was told about the pickpocketing. Wallet was fine, phone wasnt :(. Annoyingly I was sober at the time too and still no idea how it got snagged. I struggled to get it in and out of my pocket myself (Note 4) but went to go for Google maps to find it wasn't there.
Of course I may have been slightly responsible for the target as itw as only a few months after launch and was being snap happy with it in public. Between it getting nicked and letting O2 know it got nicked they had managed to rack up £600 or so by phoning multiple hotlines from the same SIM card, but nice O2 waived all that for me.

Mighty impressed with whoever had the skills to nab it, woudl really have loved the opportunity to praise them face to face..

Associate
One of my friend recently came back from MWC. Narrated me the whole story how his new Mate 9 got stolen from his pocket.

Soldato
Saw a pickpocket in action my wife gave him a thump and he followed us around for a bit we were quite anxious.

There is very little police presence in Las Ramblas so pickpockets hunt with impunity knowing you can't report them.

I wouldn't go back to be honest much nicer places to visit in Spain and Europe.

Associate
Just got back from barcelona, literally this afternoon. Had no problems, we were naturally cautious and very careful when we were out and about on the underground etc. Police presence was everywhere we went, would go back again in a heartbeat.

Soldato
Hi i am going to barcelona in may on my own first for 4 days but bringing my DSLR camera.

Do these pick pockets try and steal peoples DSLR?

Personally, I don't see how anyone is going to get it off you short of a fight or brandishing weapons. Only place I was cautious about mine was La Paz, but saying that it's insured anyway.

Just have your wits about just as you would walking through Birmingham or London at night.

Soldato
I didn't have any issues, although my wallet was tied to my trousers in a liquid proof sack and not easy to snag (possibly overcautious!).

I also didnt see anything particularly dodgy, it's similar level to prague, having been to both.
I'm curious about the liquid proof sack ? Was this in case of emergencies like not being able to find a public convenience ?

Soldato
Bit late to this, but when my wife and I were there a few years back a thief tried to snatch her bag in broad daylight on Las Ramblas. He only failed as I must have had a sixth sense it was happening: I shouted "Oi" very loudly and spun round to see him right behind us. I'd actually knocked the wife onto the floor and the second I looked down at her (and the bag), he legged it into a side street. Part of me was fuming as I could have had him had I not checked on the wife, but in hindsight that was the best thing as he must have had a blade in his hand to cut the strap on the bag.

It is a beautiful city, but the reputation is fully deserved. The police didn't give a monkey's. Lazy bunch of *****. I would not go back and its clear the authorities are not interested in dealing with it either.

Soldato
Barcelona is much worse than any other Western city I can think of, comparing it to London is laughable. I personally know around 5 people (including one person on this forum!) who have been robbed there. The pickpockets are especially active around F1 time.

Back
Top Bottom