How close to a nuclear reactor do you live?

Soldato
With all the Japan stuff it prompted me to take a look and see how close the nearest nuclear reactor was to me.

Turns out it is only 106 miles away.

How close are you to a nuclear reactor? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_reactors

If a reactor is close by, are you concerned? I'm not really too concerned with a reactor 100 miles away as we're not prone to earth quakes and stuff here. Although we get the odd tornado.

Caporegime
Closet to me is the Wlfa one, which is ~84 miles away and I'm not concerned at all. Wasn't concerned when I was in Bangor and I wouldn't be if I lived 1 mile away never mind 100.

Soldato
I'm 56 miles away from Heysham nuclear power station. That's not as the crow flies either :eek:.

EDIT: Looks to be about 35 miles as the crow flies.

Last edited:
Soldato
ive never even thought about it , thought it was closer actually till i checked google maps

have even been inside for a look around.

nuclear power > *

Associate
dungeness power station is being decomissioned so i dunno if that counts but i would say its less than 10 miles from me.

Government still saying no to dungeness C which is just madness to me. Everyone wants it to be built its only because of the A and B sites that people moved here in the first place.

When decomissioning finishes there will be nothing left for the workforce to do. ******* stupid if u ask me. Our MP and councilers are ******* tos**rs, they dont give a **** about any heritage or the people that live here. *Rant over*

Fully star out swearing

Associate
My dads guts are only up the stairs.. lately he's been terrible and I swear he's got a reactor going on in him some where.

In all honest I think the closest one to me is still quite a fair few miles away, been to north wales to see the Gparents and they live near bangor and they dont worry one bit about the reactor there.

Man of Honour
Nuclear power plants in Japan are sheltering people because they are the safest places to be in an earthquake (and the aftershocks, which in this case included some that would otherwise have been seen as serious earthquakes).

I neither know nor care how far I am from a nuclear reactor. As long as it's run properly, it's not a serious risk (Windscale was not being run properly in the 1950s - it was being used for something it was not designed for). Certainly not in the UK, where we are not going to have a massive earthquake and tsunami.

Soldato
OP
I agree Angilion, there's nothing to worry about.

From my own perspective I was curious to see where the nearest one was. I have zero worries about the reactor near me. It seems that most other people who have posted on here are also not concerned.

Associate
My research building is less than three miles away from two UZrH based TRIGA reactors; extremely mundane and not really useful for much other than isotope production.

For those interested the guy from xkcd recently put together a dose chart for general education and comparisons.

Back
Top Bottom