• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How do you choose your intel cpu?

Caporegime
But there is no competition, ryzen is crap, saying that after having owned the 1700 for 10 months since launch ( @ 3.9 @ 3200 CL14 ram, going to 8700K @ 5 is massive improvement on things I use emulators and such.

Do you think this opinion validates it as fact because its your opinion? because if so this may explain your exasperated confusion, your opinion is no more valid than others and there are plenty of them.

Last edited:
Permabanned
But there is no competition, ryzen is crap, saying that after having owned the 1700 for 10 months since launch ( @ 3.9 @ 3200 CL14 ram, going to 8700K @ 5 is massive improvement on things I use emulators and such.

Ryzen is the most advanced CPU given to consumers in the history.
With the improvements that Ryzen 2 brings, Intel will be in a very deep mess, from which I do not know how they would get out.

Soldato
use ryzen for a year and come back, fps went through the roof on things i use my cpu on compared to ryzen, enjoy your potato.
Emulation is probably THE killer app in favour of Intel, I'm amazed you even tried Ryzen. It being weak in a particular area doesn't make it a potato though, don't be so melodramatic.

Associate
Lol at Ryzen being crap, some folk can write any old rubbish on a forum eh?

Its prob the most advanced, or up with with the most advances CPU available for x64 use.
It can be found in quad thread to 64 thread guise and uses far less power than its equivalent competitor while outperforming them in many situations as well as being significantly cheaper.

Yes AMDs chip is crap... Jeezus...brilliant dude...brilliant.

Soldato
I tend to try and take a holistic approach. I spend quite a bit of time checking forums (like here) to see what CPUs are popular, look at trends and compare bench marking.

My desktop CPU history goes: 386DX 25mhz, Pentium 100mhz, Pentium 2 400mhz, AMD XP1800+, AMD Barton 3200, Q6700, i5 [email protected] ghz and now a delidded [email protected]. I don't really care about vendor and like to think I'm picking the better tech for the right price.

Sometimes I also just make snap decisions. I think I did this with the 7900x... I didn't appreciate the need to delid to run cooler and it def wasn't the bargain option. My PC is for home use, but I also run some of my work sims at home. These apps use multiple cores but are also only certified for Intel CPUs. They would probably run on AMD chips but I needed the results to be comparable to those in the office. I was also more familiar with the Intel motherboard chip sets so all that swayed me.

Btw I'm totally happy with my new 7900X, it's running BF1 and Vermintide2 really well. However if I'd had more time to wait and see how the threadripper chips progressed, looking at their multicore performance I think I might have have gone that way. Seems a no brainer if you want/need that kind of mutil-thread performance for the money.

Soldato
even for amd this is what i look at most when looking up processors..

• model
  • price
  • cores/threads
  • clock speed
  • power
i will normally google the item for comparisons even if the results are from years ago, so long they related to what im wanting to know, like example, i was looking at an i5 650, but only real difference to my i3 540 is practically the turbo the i5 offers as both are 2c4t and offer the same cache etc pretty much which is why i have an i7 860 waiting for me ready to install the weekend which for this processor i looked at the power as for the moment till my new case arrives, im using a 300w power supply and these scenarios are the only times i look at TDP, if i have a 500w plus unit then i dont need to worry, but generally speaking i dont even look at clock speed unless its from same family ie different versions of an i3 for example, quads usually have a lower clock figure, but perform better due to more cores and higher cache, so its somewhat irrelevant what the clock rates at.

Man of Honour
Lol at Ryzen being crap, some folk can write any old rubbish on a forum eh?

Its prob the most advanced, or up with with the most advances CPU available for x64 use.
It can be found in quad thread to 64 thread guise and uses far less power than its equivalent competitor while outperforming them in many situations as well as being significantly cheaper.

Yes AMDs chip is crap... Jeezus...brilliant dude...brilliant.

One of the problems with Ryzen there is still software out there that uses legacy approaches especially to threading - I use a compiler (data not code) quite a bit that was optimised for Intel Hyper Threading back in the day - on an 8 core 16 thread Ryzen it runs 50% slower than my 4820K unless I disable SMT at which point its pretty much on par with my 4820K clock for clock. Not quite sure what the problem is as certain Intel server CPUs see a similar hit though not as bad but older Intel CPUs that are basically multiple dies cobbled together don't so not as simple as cross core/CCX latency.

Which puts me in a bit of a meh spot for upgrading as if I do I want to move to at least 8 core 16 thread - while the Intel offerings really are like the 7820X which are overpriced and fairly meh.

Caporegime
Have you tried runnig CS on ryzen ? Enjoy your dips to 100fps while intel is strolling at 500fps+

Counter Strike?

I can tell you i play Insurgency a lot and it plays a lot better on the Ryzen 1600 than it did on the 4690K, a lot better, check out the CPU cores, all at 100% a lot of the time and that cause a lot of microstutter, in fact you can see how stuttery it is even when the cores are not that highly loaded, its horrible and believe me it felt even worse than it looks, that's now completely gone with the 1600, its like night and day. smooth as butter.

Insurgency and Counter Strike use the same engine.

Caporegime
BTW, i ran that at 4K because if i ran it at lower res the stuttering got worse, the lower the res the worse it got, on the Ryzen 1600 i'm running it at 1080P pretty much locked to the 300 FPS cap.

It feels like Doom running on Vulkan, lovely :)

Back
Top Bottom