How do you feel about buying second hand components?

Soldato
I've generally always got a at least a couple of 2nd hand bits in my main build. Currently.... quite a bit in fact (about half).

Motherboard (Z77), psu (X-series 1250w), 2/3 ssd's (samsung and corsair 2nd hand), one of the AIO's (corsair), headphones (akg K550), screen (Rog PC278Q), soundcard (SB-Z) are all 2nd hand. No issues whatsoever. Just... have to be careful where/what you buy :)
The MM here is generally wonderful. 1 bad deal in about... 15 years of use.

Associate
I've bought a few GPU's from the B-grade section here, including my current one - had to send one back because it was faulty but Overclockers were great as always. Personally, I don't have a problem buying used components from a trusted seller.

Soldato
I've bought 30+ items from the B Grade section and including Ebay parts have built 3 X99 6/8 core systems much cheaper than new. 1 powers my sim setup and includes a 35" Ultrawide monitor with a 40% discount from the B grade section. No issues apart from a beat up retail box. Oh and also imported two Xeon processors from Japan and an i7 5820K from Ebay to power the above X99 systems.

My only knit pick so far is that B grade motherboards don't always come with an IO plate but I managed to replace the one I was missing from Ebay.com for about $10.00

My old NAS just replaced by a new QNAP was made up from an Antec case + Intel server board with a Core 2 Quad processor and 5 TB of used 1.5 TB HDDs in RAID 5. Running the free version the Synology NAS software (Xpenology).

My main system is all new X99 from a previous OCUK bundle though the GPUs usually come from the US via my sis.

So yeah I do buy a lot of 2nd hand stuff :)

Associate
Well, the depreciation on parts is a lot less harsh when buying second hand, only problem is you don't always know what life the products have had for certain. So as long as the seller is fairly trustworthy or has good feedback, it makes a lot of sense to do it that way.

Associate
Personally, I don't buy second-hand computer stuff. My Dad has bought stuff from boot-fairs over the years with mixed fortunes - for every gpu, mb or psu that has worked, he's had one or two that haven't.

Associate
Anything with transferable warranty is a big plus. Depends a lot on how much you trust the seller. People can advertise new or as new but there's no knowing how old/used things are. With the mining craze buying second hand GPUs is probably going to be a no-go though, can never know how much the person has pushed it.

Soldato
Currently using a second hand mobo and mouse 1 from the rainforest. The I grabbed my soundcard, m.2 ssd, headphone 1, DAC, amp, mouse 2&3, radiator, cpu and ram from the MM and I have an ssd plus headphone 2 from ebay.

Previously had a about 4 CPUs and 2 GPUs from the MM without issue and a couple of motherboards and graphics cards from ebay with no problem. Can't resist a bargain and most people are just trying to get some money back for their old hardware.

Associate
I have not used the members market but I would have no problem with that.

I sell a lot of stuff on ebay without problems. I describe it as it is. I sell expensive cards as spares or repairs. Ideally, people should collect them and see them working.

Look for boxes and stuff in anti-static as a sign it has been handled like a Pro.

I have used ebay. CPUs are very reliable and have had no problems buying them. Cases. Mice.

Power supplies are relatively cheap new anyway.

Bought a power supply second hand with coil whine which had been described poorly. But got a refund.

I did buy a B grade motherboard and it did go pear shape sometime later. Nevermind. More inclined to buy motherboards and memory new just to save the hassle of figuring out if they work or not!

Associate
Buying second hand isn't a problem if you're buying from someone who has good rep/feedback. The higher the number of sales and feeback, the better. A good indication is to see if the seller has been selling for a while and has sold items as described, because their feedback will reflect that.

Problems can still occur though, so it's best to pay via PayPal so you can dispute anything should the worst happen.

Last edited:
Associate
Had no problems buying second hand items just make sure your happy with the seller and the price.

Make sure you know the rules on auction sites as they may exclude VAT and other fees.

I try to stick with UK based companies for second hand computer bits.

Back
Top Bottom