How do you feel about changing to a Electric bike ?

Soldato
Guys how do you feel about electric bikes

Are you looking forward to changing to an electric bike or do you feel like you will never want one ?

(This is not aimed at little electric bikes/mopes for just getting around town)

Man of Honour
I'd definitely miss the sound of an ICE bike, the whine of an electric motor just isn't the same. Apart from that I feel like I'd have to ride one to really make my mind up as in general they seem to review quite well.

Caporegime
Around town they're absolutely epic. No gear changes, buckets of torque all at once, they're literally just massive twist'n'go bikes without all the faff of fuelling and oil and stuff, just plug it in a couple of times a week to charge overnight and you're good.

(this is based purely on a little ride I had a on a Zero something or other on an industrial estate so take my opinion with a pinch of salt).

The problem people are having with leccy bikes is that they're viewing them as replacements to their beloved harleys / supermotos / superbikes / whatever, when in reality they're still far from replacing those staples. They're also still too expensive to be a second bike for most, so whilst they're unparalleled for convenience and zipping around town, affording one would mean selling the main bike, and leccy bikes still have a long way to go until they can replace the weekend / touring bikes.

It's a shame really, I'd absolutely love an electric bike.

Soldato
OP
Am thinking one the worst things am going to miss is using the clutch & gears as it going feel like a scooter with just twist and go
(I also never really liked auto cars as i find them boring apart from when struck in a traffic jam)

Also thinking am going to miss one of them things a lot of us actually moan about "engine vibrations" :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The problem people are having with leccy bikes is that they're viewing them as replacements to their beloved harleys / supermotos / superbikes / whatever, when in reality they're still far from replacing those staples. They're also still too expensive to be a second bike for most, so whilst they're unparalleled for convenience and zipping around town, affording one would mean selling the main bike, and leccy bikes still have a long way to go until they can replace the weekend / touring bikes.

It's a shame really, I'd absolutely love an electric bike.
I heard a lot of people say they will never change there bike for an electric bike,
But in the future in 15 to 25 etc years am guessing it going to be very hard to buy petrol as Fuel stations will end up dying out due to EV taking over

Soldato
I've seen a vid of somebody filtering quickly through London on a silent leccy bike and it just didn't sit well with me, my bike is quite loud and I feel the presence helps people to see me at junctions etc. I suppose they will take over eventually but bikes are always a bit behind the curve compared to cars when it comes to electronics and things, so we'll just have to see what the big manufacturers come out with.

Man of Honour
Once they fix the recharging time and range they will be better in every way except sound (and at first weight). I look forward to them being the majority of bikes in the road.

In the mean time I’ll enjoy having two cylinders.

jcr

jcr

Associate
theres to much id miss, gears, the sound, the smell of fuel, oil and the exhaust, even the vibrations. electric just seems to clinical. ok for cars, not for toys. which is what my bike is.

Soldato
They would make great town or commuter bikes, if you have easy access for charging. Each winter it's getting hard to get up and commute on my single speed bike, so maybe in a few years will get one.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Half the fun of bikes is going up and down the gears... hearing the engine scream as you rag it ride sensibly.

In a comfortable car with a radio on, it's not so much of an issue having electric power. On a bike with more likelihood of getting punted off because no one heard you coming past their offside.. no.

Man of Honour
Half the fun of bikes is going up and down the gears... hearing the engine scream as you rag it ride sensibly.

In a comfortable car with a radio on, it's not so much of an issue having electric power. On a bike with more likelihood of getting punted off because no one heard you coming past their offside.. no.

Even ICE engines will be very quiet going forwards, particularly when the UK catches up with the rest of Europe with noise laws.

Man of Honour
The recent Long Way Up series with Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman was done on Harley Davidson electric bikes and they only did 125 miles before needing a charge.
Harley Davidson had to install electric charge points all along their route.

oap

oap

Associate
When they can reliably do over 100 miles in any weather/at any speed before a charge, and be charged within an hour.
Probably not before my licence expires :)

Associate
Whilst it would never replace my big V twin cruiser an electric bike makes make sense as a commuter bike, I've always owned 2 bikes so having an electric and ICE bike would give me the best of both worlds.
I looked into it seriously a few years ago when I brought my last commuter bike and was of the opinion that the tech isnt quite there yet and went with an XJ6 instead. My commute includes both motorway and city riding and the electric bikes just didnt have the range (45 miles) at motorway speeds and took something silly like 5 hours to recharge. The 14k price tag was also double what an equivalent ICS bike would cost.

Give me something with 100 mile range at 80mph with an hour recharge time and at a similar price point to a midweight commuter bike and id buy one tomorrow to replace the XJ6 but I think we are still a few years away from that.

Associate
When I had my street triple I would manage 120-ish miles on a tank, we will soon be at this level with EV bikes.

People who have ridden an EV bike talk about the change of experience, where we currently focus on the noise, flipping gears etc, but then on the electrics your focus changes to tyre noise, traction and feel of grip and exactly what the tyres are doing, not masked by the vibrator under your butt. A change of perspective maybe but an intriguing one for sure!

triumph have teased an EV due out late next year-ish that will see the range covered, fast charging 80% 15-20 mins, it will be a rocket ship (and the concept is stunning as well).

After selling my street triple 6 years ago I set my sights being my next bike will be EV, hopefully not much longer to wait now!

Associate
When I had my street triple I would manage 120-ish miles on a tank, we will soon be at this level with EV bikes.

People who have ridden an EV bike talk about the change of experience, where we currently focus on the noise, flipping gears etc, but then on the electrics your focus changes to tyre noise, traction and feel of grip and exactly what the tyres are doing, not masked by the vibrator under your butt. A change of perspective maybe but an intriguing one for sure!

triumph have teased an EV due out late next year-ish that will see the range covered, fast charging 80% 15-20 mins, it will be a rocket ship (and the concept is stunning as well).

After selling my street triple 6 years ago I set my sights being my next bike will be EV, hopefully not much longer to wait now!

This ticks all the boxes for a genuine EV replacement for a 1200 speed triple, looks great as well. I hate to think how much it will cost though, most EV motorcycles seem to be around twice the cost as the ICE equivalent so I wouldn't be surprised to see this cost at least 30k which puts it well outside the price range to convince somebody who not that sure about EVs to give it a go. Until they can bring the price down so EV's are near the same cost as the ICE equivalent I cant see them having mass adoption. However its only a matter of time until the cost comes down and the decision becomes easier, then it will only be the diehards sticking with ICE bikes.

Back
Top Bottom