How do you feel about changing to a Electric bike ?

Caporegime
The problem with much of the biking community is that they only see things in very simple terms.

So when you say to them "could you ever see yourself riding an electric bike?" all they hear is "this will be the one and only bike you will ever own until you die" which elicits the kind of responses that we see all over social media, which generally amount to little more than "EhRmAhGeHrD You'll never get me on one of them things!!!11" when in reality anyone with half a brain knows that you're not going to be doing the NC500 on a bike with 100 miles range any time soon, but as a bike for short little jaunts, commuting, shop trips, etc, they're absolutely spot on and are only improving. At this point they are perfect second-bike material however they're far too expensive for this - but again, as the tech matures, the bikes will get better and the costs will get lower.

All this whinging and whining from the "loud pipes saves lives" crowd is tedious. Yes, we know it won't howl like an inline 4. Yes, we know that they won't smell or exhilarate like a screaming stroker. Yes, we know the infrastructure isn't there yet. Yes, we know they're expensive.

But for those who can afford them and want to enjoy them, crack on I say. These are the very people we need to spend the money on these bikes to advance their development so when ICE bikes are inevitably outlawed, these machines are in a much better place to take over.

Or just keep laughing at them and ridiculing them on Facebook because "it'll never beat my GPX 750" and then wonder why you've got nothing affordable to ride when ICE bikes are banned and you're sitting at home on the sofa making brm brm noises because it's the closest you can get to affording an electric bike.

Yes, I'm annoyed at the idiots all over the biking groups. No idea what gave it away.

Associate
This ticks all the boxes for a genuine EV replacement for a 1200 speed triple, looks great as well. I hate to think how much it will cost though, most EV motorcycles seem to be around twice the cost as the ICE equivalent so I wouldn't be surprised to see this cost at least 30k which puts it well outside the price range to convince somebody who not that sure about EVs to give it a go. Until they can bring the price down so EV's are near the same cost as the ICE equivalent I cant see them having mass adoption. However its only a matter of time until the cost comes down and the decision becomes easier, then it will only be the diehards sticking with ICE bikes.

HD are mad charging what they do for the live wire, I guess they are too used to massive margins, I mean £20k for some of their ICE bikes with tech etc from 40 years ago, the margins must be absolutely MEGA and they are now trying to apply that to their EV, but I suppose with no competition from know established brands they’ll still sell quite well.

when we look at the likes of Energica and Zero tho, prices seem to be mid 20’s now, if triumph with their scale of production can come in a little under that, early £20s, they’ll be a bit more expensive than the 1200rs, but about the same as a Ducati street fighter. Add in the FAR cheaper running costs..... (my best attempt at man maths :p).

my prediction, stating at £21k, 24 fir an RS version with Brembo/Ohlins bling.

Man of Honour
I've been thinking quite a bit about this. Initially my reaction was a lack of interest in electric. Although I'm still only on a 125/CBT I love the feel, smell and overall experience of cars and bikes with ICE. But having thought a bit more about it I think electric bikes make sense, especially as scooter replacements. You still get the feeling of freedom and speed. Sure the sound and most vibration will be gone. But I would imagine most bikes will be ridden relatively short distances unlike cars which are often used for very long journeys (obviously some bikes are ridden very long disctance too). So the range issues are probably not as much of a problem. So I think I would be open to swppaing to an electric bike at some point.

Soldato
OP
One thing am wondering about is with an ICE you know what engine RPM your at as you can feel & hear it so clutching up wheelies, dropping the clutch for burnouts , overtaking cars, Sprint starts etc

How this going to work on a electric bike as your not to going to feel or hear the motor ? :confused:

Are you even going be able to do wheelie & burnouts etc on a electric bike or are the electrics going to stop all the fun :mad:

Last edited:
Associate
One thing am wondering about is with an ICE you know what engine RPM your at as you can feel & hear it so clutching up wheelies, dropping the clutch for burnouts , overtaking cars, Sprint starts etc

How this going to work on a electric bike as your not to going to feel or hear the motor ? :confused:

Are you even going be able to do wheelie & burnouts etc on a electric bike or are the electrics going to stop all the fun :mad:

You don’t need to clutch dump to fake the torque. However to stop people flipping the bike every time they grab a fist full they limit it. A well tuned curve should allow a wheelie. Especially in “sport” mode. I’d want wheelie defeat on “race” mode tho.

Soldato
OP
You don’t need to clutch dump to fake the torque. However to stop people flipping the bike every time they grab a fist full they limit it. A well tuned curve should allow a wheelie. Especially in “sport” mode. I’d want wheelie defeat on “race” mode tho.
Am much more interested in clutch wheelies and not power wheelies

At my age of 50+ i shouldn't even be doing wheelies :o:p But then again they always say your never to old to have fun ;)

Associate
Am much more interested in clutch wheelies and not power wheelies

At my age of 50+ i shouldn't even be doing wheelies :o:p But then again they always say your never to old to have fun ;)

A wheelie is a wheelie. You clutch dump a wheelie when you don’t have enough torque to lift the front wheel at the RMP range you’re at.

EV has all on tap but you have to sort out control for it. Like launch control button in a car you’ll need a wheelie button on the bike to give you a blast of 100% torque until the angle of the bike is 45 degrees the ramp down to maintain that angle. Then in race mode it would give you perfect launch.

Soldato
When I had my street triple I would manage 120-ish miles on a tank, we will soon be at this level with EV bikes.

People who have ridden an EV bike talk about the change of experience, where we currently focus on the noise, flipping gears etc, but then on the electrics your focus changes to tyre noise, traction and feel of grip and exactly what the tyres are doing, not masked by the vibrator under your butt. A change of perspective maybe but an intriguing one for sure!

triumph have teased an EV due out late next year-ish that will see the range covered, fast charging 80% 15-20 mins, it will be a rocket ship (and the concept is stunning as well).

After selling my street triple 6 years ago I set my sights being my next bike will be EV, hopefully not much longer to wait now!
Being able to focus on tyre feel will be an interesting one. Good point.

Also I don't think TE1 is scheduled for mass production. It was a tech demo that could lead onto other motorbikes.

Soldato
Not for me. Seems like too much of a faf to charge them on the go..

Good review.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rMbpcF6A_s&t=1551s
It's a good review but heavily skewed by the fact that he was completely unprepared. The apps show what charger types are available and what network they belong to. Anyone owning an EV has to do the groundwork first and will know what networks they are registered with. Typically it takes less than a 5 minutes to register a new account at the charger location, so there was no reason he couldn't have done that instead of riding off in a huff.
The charging network is totally disjointed, even more so on the continent. This was why I returned my PHEV after 2 years.
Bikes have a lot further to come than cars before I'll consider one.

Man of Honour
It's a good review but heavily skewed by the fact that he was completely unprepared. The apps show what charger types are available and what network they belong to. Anyone owning an EV has to do the groundwork first and will know what networks they are registered with. Typically it takes less than a 5 minutes to register a new account at the charger location, so there was no reason he couldn't have done that instead of riding off in a huff.
The charging network is totally disjointed, even more so on the continent. This was why I returned my PHEV after 2 years.
Bikes have a lot further to come than cars before I'll consider one.

Governments should enforce standardisation of these chargers and networks. Private companies clearly are incapable of working together on setting standards.

Back
Top Bottom