How do you feel about changing to a Electric bike ?

Soldato
They’ll be following the continent with police checks and excessive noise cameras soon.

Secretly wanting this to happen asap. Most people living in a built up or busy area would like lower noise pollution.
I've owned a stupid loud motorbike before and now realise how annoying it would have been for neighbours etc.

Man of Honour
Secretly wanting this to happen asap. Most people living in a built up or busy area would like lower noise pollution.
I've owned a stupid loud motorbike before and now realise how annoying it would have been for neighbours etc.

I’m happy to give up noise if no one else can have it either, although I can’t even take my stock Austrian motorcycle on the Austrian mountain passes because it’s too loud.

Soldato
Regardless of how good electric vehicles get, they just lack the ‘soul’ of an ICE machine.
I genuinely think a silent motorbike would be dangerous too.
(No I’m not a ‘loud pipes save lives’ guy)

Soldato
Like cars, they are dangerously quiet at car park speeds but once up to 20+mph road noise from tyres is just as audible.

Last edited:
Associate
had a whole day on the new zero range bikes and it blew me away!
the whole experience, smooth throttle inputs no gears loads torque, service costs even the noise I didn't miss at all
and thats coming from a v4 tuono factory an ktm 790 both super fun naked bikes

ill have one in a few years for sure, just need a tad more range and better charging stations.

Soldato
had a whole day on the new zero range bikes and it blew me away!
the whole experience, smooth throttle inputs no gears loads torque, service costs even the noise I didn't miss at all
and thats coming from a v4 tuono factory an ktm 790 both super fun naked bikes

ill have one in a few years for sure, just need a tad more range and better charging stations.

It’s a shame Elon won’t get involved - says they are deathtraps.
A Tesla bike would be worth a look.

Soldato
OP
Am the same i owned loads of loud bikes before but now am older my bike just has a stock exhaust as i feel for the neighbours who on both sides of my house have very young kids
And sometimes in the summer months i will take the bike out and not come home till around midnight

Soldato
Couldn't care less about the sound. It's just a waste product. The problem for me would be touring. I often travel. A few thousand miles around Morocco, 10k around South America, or even just around Ireland, rally in Wales, play in Europe. A 100m range would mean the riding day is over in two hours or less.

It’s a shame Elon won’t get involved - says they are deathtraps.
A Tesla bike would be worth a look.

What would he do anyway? The batteries are made by Panasonic. In fact Teslas Giga-factory is basically designed and built by Panasonic. More recently Tesla has signed a deal with a Chinese LiFePO4 maker possibly for batteries used in lower range models or markets.

Associate
The problem with much of the biking community is that they only see things in very simple terms.

So when you say to them "could you ever see yourself riding an electric bike?" all they hear is "this will be the one and only bike you will ever own until you die" which elicits the kind of responses that we see all over social media, which generally amount to little more than "EhRmAhGeHrD You'll never get me on one of them things!!!11" when in reality anyone with half a brain knows that you're not going to be doing the NC500 on a bike with 100 miles range any time soon, but as a bike for short little jaunts, commuting, shop trips, etc, they're absolutely spot on and are only improving. At this point they are perfect second-bike material however they're far too expensive for this - but again, as the tech matures, the bikes will get better and the costs will get lower.

All this whinging and whining from the "loud pipes saves lives" crowd is tedious. Yes, we know it won't howl like an inline 4. Yes, we know that they won't smell or exhilarate like a screaming stroker. Yes, we know the infrastructure isn't there yet. Yes, we know they're expensive.

But for those who can afford them and want to enjoy them, crack on I say. These are the very people we need to spend the money on these bikes to advance their development so when ICE bikes are inevitably outlawed, these machines are in a much better place to take over.

Or just keep laughing at them and ridiculing them on Facebook because "it'll never beat my GPX 750" and then wonder why you've got nothing affordable to ride when ICE bikes are banned and you're sitting at home on the sofa making brm brm noises because it's the closest you can get to affording an electric bike.

Yes, I'm annoyed at the idiots all over the biking groups. No idea what gave it away.

Although I agree with some of your points there are a few things I don't agree with.

For me, my motorbike(s) are my hobbies, my toys. They are not needed to get me back and forward to work, shops etc. Unless I want them to.

You are right, people who can afford them, that fit into those brackets or just want one for fun, is good for the development of these bikes. Although, I do wonder if enough people are buying them to aid their development? Bikes are not like cars, not masses of people are going to buy them. Most people I know, in fact I can't think of one biker I know, own their bike like I do, as a 2nd vehicle. There is no reason for these people, for us to buy these bikes, so again I wonder just how many people are going to and whether the development will be hampered by that?

And your last point about when ICE bikes get banned; there are no plans as far as I am aware in the UK to ban ICE bikes. Unless I have missed something the government stated in December 2020, when it bought forward the date for the ban of Petrol and diesel car/van sales to 2030, there were no plans to ban the sale of ICE motorcycles. They said if that changed then the DfT will consult with public and the Motorcycle Action Group first. So, even if they consult and say ban ICE motorbikes from, say 2040, that is 19 years away. I don't see certainly in my lifetime ICE bikes disappearing from the road.

Soldato
In the future I would consider an electric bike to commute, the range and price is holding me back currently. If I had a shorter commute I wouldn't mind a super Soco TC max to go along the seafront.
The appeal is ability to charge at home and less moving parts.

Man of Honour
In the future I would consider an electric bike to commute, the range and price is holding me back currently. If I had a shorter commute I wouldn't mind a super Soco TC max to go along the seafront.
The appeal is ability to charge at home and less moving parts.

2nd hand bike off Gumtree or Marketplace then go here for your parts, I've used their parts for 9 years - https://yosepower.com/collections/e-bike-conversion-kit

Man of Honour
That looks interesting.
I do have a road bicycle, will need to measure up and see if one of them will fit.
Edit: I see they have a fit for 700c so that's a good start :)

I must admit I've never seen a road bike motored up however one of my bikes is basically a road bike with flat handlebars

TrekFX7.5.jpg

Man of Honour
Soldato
I'm about to buy a new bike.

If I was buying a new car I would almost certainly go electric, but with a bike, it's just not going to work and I can't see it working for maybe a decade or more. For example one of my first trips will be from Spain to Germany. Then up to Denmark, then Iceland. Probably 50 or more charges for electric bike, that would mean stopping 2-3 times a day just to get my daily destinations.

Then there is a plan on the back burner to tour Namibia, Botswana etc.. In the sand I'd probably get 40-50km from an electric machine.

Just not feasible unless you are pure city dweller that doesn't travel further than the shops, and a bit of jolly from time to time.

Instead it's €14.000 on a new ICE power bike. Vrooom ;)

Back
Top Bottom