• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: How do you game? Upscaling or native? (updated poll choices - 24/12, revote!)

How do you game?

• Total voters
Caporegime
OP
I value FSR. I won't deny I'd pick DLSS over it, but if I was in a position where i wanted to upscale for additional frames and couldn't use DLSS for some reason, I'd be using FSR.

It's a fine option to have.

In the games where there was no dlss and only FSR, I tried FSR and it was a **** show, the only area where it was usable imo was at 4k with only the UQ preset, I sooner turn down settings than resort to FSR. As evidenced at lower res and/or lower presets, it's substantially worse. I don't think amd realise just how bad of a spot fsr is in now where dlss performance in some games is ending up looking better than FSR quality.... Obviously can't expect it ever to look as good or better than dlss unless the whole thing is changed but to now be in that situation is just bad for not only them but their customer base. With HUB creating that video showing XESS even being better now for IQ (at lower res. etc.), hopefully amd will take note though.

- that wilful blindness is employed to make broad claims using a sub 100 vote poll specific to this subforum of this forum

"Proves"
:p

Well it's true :p

If more users valued FSR, it would have similar % as dlss. If those aren't the reasons that nvidia users voted native, then what other reasons are there? I actually did forget one reason: stubborness to embrace new ways of doing things (which is fine), as a few have said themselves, they will never use "software tricks" because that's not what they pay for. Such a short sighted view point that imo but I get it.

Nvidia's GeForce experience has two sharpening filters and a film grain filter to play with, but I tried them in a couple of games and they made the game look terrible

Sharpening is always awful no matter what, it's one reason why FSR is poor as they apply sharpening with no way to disable it and sharpening just enhances artifacts that are present in the base frame.

Lol. The way the natives do it :cry:

It is funny that, NATIVE IS THE BEST!!!!!*

*runs TAA

:cry:

I still find that hilarious how TAA issues was never lambasted until dlss came along and suddenly omg dlss is awful!!!!! Then games with no upscaling and **** TAA never had their issues called out i.e. days gone, remember me pointing out all the ghosting and haloing and smeary mess it was in motion but nah, suddenly people developed cataracts when playing that and couldn't see the issues :cry:

It is definetly something that needs addressed in games now though as shown in that video as there is no doubt older games before TAA came along looked better in motion but nowadays, you can't not use some form of it unless you like an image where the outer edges are shimmering away. Sadly it's another case of where devs aren't taking the time to get the best from such solutions though.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Should lock this thread, burn it and never bring it up again

^... this.

Even after redoing the poll and trying to effect the outcome the results are still saying "NATIVE" wins.

This has been said since this technology appeared that native wins to the customer/user in the end, no matter how much spin you put on it. The PC master race even laughed at it when it was put into consoles, but now a minor loud majority seem to think its best thing since sliced bread.... the same majority I may add that panned the consoles for using it originally. :rolleyes:

Time to close this pointless thread as now we have 2 sets of results saying the same thing now.

The technology has its place and would like to still see it kept around and not end up in the history pile, but the technology sadly on the pc is being abused by the companies implementing it from the hardware makers to the software devs as we know some will pick one over the other just because they are being sponsored which is nothing more than taking the micky out of their customers when it comes to the software.

Also I don't like being sold fake increases in hardware too that is being done by software tricks, the software is now helping hardware companies basically do that silly game, when they don't compare apples to apples as they always seem to do when this technology is used.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
^... this.

Even after redoing the poll and trying to effect the outcome the results are still saying "NATIVE" wins.

This has been said since this technology appeared that native wins to the customer in the end, no matter how much spin you put on it. The PC master race even laughed at it when it was put into consoles, but now a minor loud majority seem to think its best thing since sliced bread.... the same majority I may add that panned the consoles for using it originally. :rolleyes:

Time to close this pointless thread as now we have 2 sets of results saying the same thing now.

Sorry but comments like this are completely idiotic, trying to effect the outcome by keeping the core concept/options the same but making it more granular? :cry: It seems that by doing this, it has rustled jimmies because the poll is now painting a more detailed picture and some of those insights are not what people want to see/accept? I would love to update the poll again to see if the native nvidia owners are rtx or non rtx owners but alas, that will probably upset the usual suspects again.

Thoughts on TAA btw?

We know your thoughts on "software tricks".

Also, I really wish if people make such statements which are completely and utterly wrong, you would back it up i.e. this

when it was put into consoles

We have countless videos explaining the difference between consoles methods and dlss/fsr/xess and as evidenced, dlss is in another league. Why do you and others keep saying this when you know it's wrong unless have you got something to back such statements now?

PS. I never panned it, I owned the ps 4 pro and played mostly sonys titles which used checkerboarding was the best method to date (pc at the time didn't have anything to match/beat this)

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Sorry but comments like this are completely idiotic, trying to effect the outcome by keeping the core concept/options the same but making it more granular? :cry: It seems that by doing this, it has rustled jimmies because the poll is now painting a more detailed picture and some of those insights are not what people want to see/accept? I would love to update the poll again to see if the native nvidia owners are rtx or non rtx owners but alas, that will probably upset the usual suspects again.

Thoughts on TAA btw?

Also, I really wish if people make such statements which are completely and utterly wrong, you would back it up i.e. this

We have countless videos explaining the difference between consoles methods and dlss/fsr/xess and as evidenced, dlss is in another league. Why do you and others keep saying this when you know it's wrong unless have you got something to back such statements now?

PS. I never panned it, I owned the ps 4 pro and played mostly sonys titles which used checkerboarding was the best method to date (pc at the time didn't have anything to match/beat this)
mehh have a nice holidays mate... have better things to do than point out the obvious ..

I did add more so read that too pls.. I have no issues with the tech, just how it is being abused.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Also I don't like being sold fake increases in hardware too that is being done by software tricks, the software is now helping hardware companies basically do that silly game, when they don't compare apples to apples as they always seem to do when this technology is used.

Do you think the creation and improvement of such "software tricks" is costing these companies nothing and you're being short changed? It probably costs more than hardware advances alone.

Caporegime
OP
mehh have a nice holidays mate... have better things to do than point out the obvious ..

I did add more so read that too pls.. I have no issues with the tech, just how it is being abused.

Ah the usual, why does this forum have so many members who can't provide substance/evidence to their posts? :cry:

I do agree 100% the tech is being abused by devs as a way to "optimise" their games and I said this from the very beginning but it is what it is now, are nvidia and amd etc. abusing it, well yeah for obvious reasons, they're profit consumer based companies.....

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Thoughts on TAA btw?

Wasting your time. You won't be able to change their mind. You can post all the facts you like, but native will still be king, even when blurred with TAA :cry:

Associate
Ah the usual, why does this forum have so many members who can't provide substance/evidence to their posts? :cry:
Regarding the fsr thing, I did. I tested it against dlss at a number of settings in F1 2022, and found DLSS does indeed work considerably better at the lower settings. It is not perfect here itself, however.

At the higher settings, I would have no problem using either as they both do a good job. I still use native over either (provided the frame rate was at a level I would like) as adding DLSS or FSR to the experience doesn't add anything to the image quality for me. That may change in the future, but at the moment in gameplay the visual images themselves are not improved.

The small sample size of evidence here suggests that I'm probably in the majority in this opinion.

Caporegime
OP
Regarding the fsr thing, I did. I tested it against dlss at a number of settings in F1 2022, and found DLSS does indeed work considerably better at the lower settings. It is not perfect here itself, however.

At the higher settings, I would have no problem using either as they both do a good job. I still use native over either (provided the frame rate was at a level I would like) as adding DLSS or FSR to the experience doesn't add anything to the image quality for me. That may change in the future, but at the moment in gameplay the visual images themselves are not improved.

The small sample size of evidence here suggests that I'm probably in the majority in this opinion.

None of these solutions are "perfect", it's very much a case of pick your poison, personally for me that is dlss as it has the least issues (or rather least noticeable issues) and provides more benefits than issues. In the cases where DLSS does exhibit noticeable issues or not as good as native (as shown in videos by HUB) i.e. ghosting in say avatar, I can easily fix this by switching the dlss config preset or/and dlss version.

If performance isn't a concern then I would use DLDSR + DLSS perf or perhaps DLAA, however, as shown by @mrk screenshot comparisons, there are times where even DLSS alone can provide a better image than native + DLAA.

Also, a nice bonus with these "software" tricks which dicehunter alluded to before is these are far more efficient ways rather than just relying on sheer power e.g.

ypbHDvAh.jpg

Look at that power consumption on a undervolted 3080 with 138 fps using dlss quality and frame gen. Experience is basically better than native whilst using less power and thus cooler running and therefore quieter running gpu.

For me one should always use DLDSR when possible together with DLSS. It is so much better than native in my experience.

It's a shame more games don't allow proper fullscreen mode as it is a bit of a faff having to change res. in NVCP first then when exit game, switch back the res. again. That and sometimes, it impacts the UI of games too which is annoying.

I think there is something here for nvidia really to improve/advance the dlss stack even further going forward by combining the 2 in future versions.

Last edited:
Associate
Look at that power consumption on a undervolted 3080 with 138 fps using dlss quality and frame gen. Experience is basically better than native whilst using less power and thus cooler running and therefore quieter running gpu.
That is a point I can much more easily get behind. I'm still not going with "experience is better than native" from a visual point of view, but if running DLSS quality to get very slight, if any drop in visual for a greater power efficiency? That's a better argument.

Soldato

I do agree 100% the tech is being abused by devs as a way to "optimise" their games and I said this from the very beginning but it is what it is now, are nvidia and amd etc. abusing it, well yeah for obvious reasons, they're profit consumer based companies.....

I did that before and never worked, even when the facts were right there. As you know. Also don't have the time you have on your hands to post 50 times a day with huge replies. Sorry mate but you of all people know I state facts when needed and when not so obvious for some to see the issues or the facts. Anyways have fun mate and won't be replying anymore to this thread as it was clearly designed to phish people in to a topic that has been repeated way too much and already has its own thread regarding these technologies.

You wanted a poll for feedback and you got it, didn't like it and reassigned the poll and still got the same results as before as people that voted stated what they use and why, hardware and what technology they used.

As I said in my first reply the tech has its place and needed but as also stated by the poll people prefer not to use it and use native.

Caporegime
OP
That is a point I can much more easily get behind. I'm still not going with "experience is better than native" from a visual point of view, but if running DLSS quality to get very slight, if any drop in visual for a greater power efficiency? That's a better argument.

Well that there is hogwarts and dlss and even FG as evidenced is better than native here, the TAA implementation is awful in this game and at launch, the dlss + fg really saved the game as the optimisation/performance was **** poor, much improved now though.

Based on my own experience and testing of dlss with fg vs native in this particular game:

- it has a consdierably higher fps which smooths out the hitches especially in hogsmead thus better better motion fluidity
- better iq since the native TAA is one of the worse implementations and no TAA has shimmering galore which to me is far worse than a softer image (that and good luck running this with high settings and not using DLSS unless you want to reduce settings and get a lesser visual experience overall)

Although this game really shines with the DLDSR + DLSS combo since the TAA implementation is so bad.

Btw, this is a good example of where FG + DLSS + DLDSR is far better than a "native" experience, using path tracing and max settings:

Forgot to label the dlss ones with FG too but pretty obvious which one is providing a better experience than native despite it all being "software tricks", IQ is way better with DLDSR + DLSS + FG than native 3440x1440. DLSS quality also looks noticeably better than native.

I did that before and never worked, even when the facts were right there. As you know. Also don't have the time you have on your hands to post 50 times a day with huge replies. Sorry mate but you of all people know I state facts when needed and when not so obvious for some to see the issues or the facts. Anyways have fun mate and won't be replying anymore to this thread as it was clearly designed to phish people in to a topic that has been repeated way too much and already has its own thread regarding these technologies.

You wanted a poll for feedback and you got it, didn't like it and reassigned the poll and still got the same results as before as people that voted stated what they use and why, hardware and what technology they used.

As I said in my first reply the tech has its place and needed but as also stated by the poll people prefer not to use it and use native.

No offence but just posting your thoughts and coming to conclusions (even if well reasoned) is not "facts", "facts" is hard evidence showing proof to back up posts/thoughts. It's like the difference between MLID and Alex/DF, one side provides analytical footage to back up their statements where as the other just waffles on with nothing to back up their claims, of course a well reasoned post is great but that's all it is.

Those upscaling threads do not provide any info as to who/how many people actually use these technologies, this thread does.

Didn't like it? Again, explain to me, how the poll has been changed to increase dlss votes as do the maths, it hasn't impacted the "outcome" at all, like I said, it seems that people who have a hatred for "software tricks" or/and nvidia don't like the new "format" of how the results are presented since the bar looks higher for dlss compared to native even though again, it's no different to the previous poll.......

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
@Nexus18 the thread poll is about upscaling. Not DLDSR and not FG. Read your own rules

It's a discussion replying to bru about IQ. Regardless of frame gen or/and DLDSR, DLSS quality would still be providing better experience than native (both IQ and performance, without FG, the fps would be about 50 fps with just dlss quality). It's a still shot therefore, FG is not impacting IQ either and entirely relevant to the discussion.

But as usual, an ever useful on topic post by yourself I see, posts so far in this thread...

Yes keep doing the poll until you get the results you want.
Maybe run with

What upscaling do you use?
I prefer DLSS
I love DLSS
DLSS in most games
Always DLSS

Then you can check the results later on while putting the cookies out for Santa.
DLDSR wouldnt be classed as an upscaler though.

If you use DLDSR +DLSS you'll probably end up with a native render resolution or close(er) to it.

Think the poll needs more some more granular options if DLDSR is lumped in with DLSS now.

Perhaps stick to the OP format as outlined or/and provide something worthwhile to the discussion happening?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom