how do you get Elite Dangerous in VR ? (on Epic Store)

Soldato
indeed. forget whether it helps out or not (personally I can take it or leave it from that perspective as everything I have mapped out) but for the cool factor and immersion (and for me the immersion is why I play the game. I want to feel like I am flying a space ship which is why I only ever play in VR. without it I would have left long ago). voice attack just makes the game.more fun.

Underboss
OP
Just sold a load of high value mining to Hawking Station at HIP 45957. Good prices there, and only a few jumps from the mining location.

nice

i managed to do my first core mining today, found 2x Opal rocks
21 Opals total

keep an eye on :

https://eddb.io
im just about to sell them for 320K each

edit//
that station has halved its price already lol moving to another system thats 1 jump

Last edited:
Soldato
Morning all!

Have been getting into Elite over the past two weeks, and having always "facnied" a VR set up, i've never had the game to do it, and I think Elite is the game for that!

I currently play on an Ultrawide QD-OLED, and having seen how beautiful this game is on that, I'm wary about moving back to an LED display wouldn't as wow me like my monitor does.

Have a 4090 so performance shouldn't be an issue!

So, can anyone help me spend some money on a HMD? :D

Soldato
quest 3 is the obvious choice. for the money nothing else touches it (for the record however I don't have one, I have a quest pro)

elite in VR is a totally different beast. monitors ,.even good ones don't come close.

sadly all the on foot stuff even in VR is on a big cinema screen (but the quest 3 is good enough for that still to be ok)

but everything in ship and in the srv. elite is phenomenal.
ime for seated games it's worth getting a (good quality) usb cable and running over usb3
it's a bit better image quality than wireless

get voice attack and a voice pack for the game. it adds so much to the immersion and covers.lack of vision of your keyboard for stuff like shield cells, chaff, ecms and what not.

whilst at it if they float your boat buy dirt rally 2, pcars2, half life alyx, MSFS2020, starwars.squadrons, lone echo, hell there are loads but they will give you a taster.

Last edited:
Soldato
Q3 is best, but if you just want to play PCVR you can sometimes pick up a Quest Pro cheap which has far better colours and contrast.
I've got a Q3 and a Pro and I way prefer the Pro for PCVR. Elite Dangerous looks absolutely incredible on it.

That's only if your primary use case is PCVR though. Quest 3 is a much better all-rounder and will be better supported in future. (Though bear in mind you'll need to buy a replacement Q3 strap and other accessories to extend battery life and improve comfort, so it's a bit more expensive than the base price suggests.)

Associate
So, can anyone help me spend some money on a HMD? :D
Go with an OLED, so basically Bigscreen Beyond.
You can see the panel distance in LCD as it doesn't go black, more like a mid-grey. In OLED you can't see the panel distance as it's black so you look to infinity. It's much more immersive in OLED than LCD.
Failing that, get a Pimax Crystal Light with local dimming when they release in the next week or so.
Quest 3, Pico 4 etc all look a little too low resolution.

Soldato
Go with an OLED, so basically Bigscreen Beyond.
You can see the panel distance in LCD as it doesn't go black, more like a mid-grey. In OLED you can't see the panel distance as it's black so you look to infinity. It's much more immersive in OLED than LCD.
Failing that, get a Pimax Crystal Light with local dimming when they release in the next week or so.
Quest 3, Pico 4 etc all look a little too low resolution.

Bigscreen Beyond does seem to be the main option at the moment, don't think i'm willing to drop that much at the moment though :o

Pixmax Crystal Light looks like it could be interesting!

Associate
yeah but it goes by what resolution your headset is. you can super sample x2 on a HP Reverb with a 4090. You're lucky to run native on a Crystal.
With a Aero I run it at 100% scaling in Steam and 1.25% HMD scaling in Elite with a 4090. I think I have FSR set to quality and all the shadows set to medium , blur off, bloom off etc
On a Crystal (full fat) the eye tracking works and makes the game amazingly sharp with VFR. Not sure how it's going to go on the Crystal light with the FFR though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Running godlike mode in virtual desktop didn't help mine lmao...

Have they fixed the godawful flickering shadows yet?

Soldato
just picked up a cheap Thrustmaster HOTAS so I can try this out with Ravenger tonight. Anything I should set up / be aware of before hand? Will be playing on a Quest 3.

Soldato
just picked up a cheap Thrustmaster HOTAS so I can try this out with Ravenger tonight. Anything I should set up / be aware of before hand? Will be playing on a Quest 3.

Run it in pancake mode first and setup the joystick in there. Much easier to play with the mappings. Also do a search for the best mappings for the HOTAS model you have.

Back
Top Bottom