How do YOU make porridge?

Soldato
Associate
1/2 cup of Holland & Barrett oats with a cup of supermarket brand soya milk and chia seeds left in the fridge overnight. Nuts or seeds added in the morning along with blueberries/banana/raspberries/strawberries to change up the flavour daily.

Soldato
reminded this morning - Occasional indulgent topping - a spoonful/dribble of double cream ?

Microwave advantage you can eat in the cooking container
- so at work discovered Pyrex round 1L bowls, that have plastic lid, so can easily soak pinhead overnight.

Don
I made hot porridge for the first time this morning (I have done overnight oats a few times).

1/2 cup oats, 1 generous tsp peanut butter and 1 + 1/2 cups of milk (I added more milk as it was looking very stodgy and undercooked), plus a pinch of sugar and salt.

It was nice, but I need something to top it with to stop the texture becoming boring. On my overnight oats I usually drop a small handful of granola on top, I might try that next time with the porridge.

Perhaps, but maybe injecting the Lion Bars is wot dunnit? :D

Injecting them after deep-fat frying them? :D Got to go proper Scottish...

Soldato
several of the porridge variants have added protein, I am intrigued why folks need this ? is it an accurately calculated value/target ? like the taste ?

earlier discussion I had had, you can just be expelling it if you don't need it-
Across run/bike/swim I probably do the equivalant of 10K a day, but recently realised although I consume carb's, I am maybe neglecting protein,
sedentary is apparently 0.8g/Kg/day, and here ,for example, suggests for ~10K 1.2g/Kg/day, so that would be ~90g per day for me,
which makes 300g of chicken say - I could typically be at 50% of that ... um - food for thought .

I am not too worried about the amount of protein. When exercising you certainly need more than being sedentary, but the average western diet has far more protein than required even for moderately active people. Don't forget that there is protein in a lot of food, from milk, oats, nuts , beans, peanut butter, and even just vegetables. So you can get Haroun 4-8g from eating a portion of potatoes, 3-4 form portion of spinach. Broccoli and sweet corn also have an OK amount. Peas have a lot of protein. Throw in any cheese or deli meat etc and you will probably find you are eating way over 120g a day if you have a typical main meal with a portion of meat.

Soldato
several of the porridge variants have added protein, I am intrigued why folks need this ? is it an accurately calculated value/target ? like the taste ?

earlier discussion I had had, you can just be expelling it if you don't need it-
I go to the gym 5 times a week and have a high protein diet which I why I add protein to my porridge

Soldato
Alternative porridge with barley flakes ? - wheat flakes next ...
repeatedly found they absorbed too much milk though, and blow up, becoming soggy, which maybe why they go into sugar puffs ? afaik

Need to try out some barley malt extract too as a porridge condiment too, could be up there with maple syrup

45704627532_86bc813e30_o_d.jpg

Soldato
One handful rolled oats half handful of toasted oats half handful of rolled rye and half handful or rolled barley. Water in a pan pinch of salt cook until creamy add toppings.

Can be anything from crispy bacon bits to golden syrup and sultanas.

Back
Top Bottom