How do YOU make porridge?

Soldato
Found a new supplier with both regular favourites https://wiltonwholefoods.com/quick-order
- need to discover if there is an EU definition of a jumbo oat though ?

if you listen to farming today r4 5:45am they said this week should be a big uk oats surplus this year though,
1 million tonnes production, 500K humans 300k animals (!! how do the animals like their porridge ) 200K to play with.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000c3gw

49205768321_57233053df_c_d.jpg

Soldato
In search of a more hardcore porridge - has anyone used groats. ?

.. had not realised they are different to pinhead/steel cut oats ... but apparently so
it looks like they may need more soaking/cooking so maybe incompatible with the daily grind.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-are-groats-995708
"Groat" is an old Scottish word that referred specifically to oats, but now the term can be applied to any whole kernel of grain that has been minimally processed to remove its outer husk or hull, sometimes called chaff. You may see them simply called "whole." You can find some sort of groats in nearly every cuisine in the world.

What Are Groats?
Groats are a whole grain that retains the endosperm, the germ, and the bran, thus preserving all of the nutrition.
Varieties
Steel-cut oats are sliced oat groats, which cook faster but still retain all of the nutrition of whole groats. They're sometimes marketed as Irish oats.

Soldato
Groats are on their way, in the interim had a few breakfasts with non jumbo oats - (Asda smart price)
..... these are much smaller, and google tells me regular oats are crushed jumbo oats ie. one kernel broken into smaller pieces.
they don't have the same bite, and, used in porridge, are (over)cooked in minutes.

Anyone else come to the same conclusion jumbo vs normal oats ? and prefer jumbo.

Soldato
I don't think they are -
having a saucepan with graduations, and, a favourite cup, where you know the right oats level, is sufficient ... unless you have mild OCD

Soldato
groats arrived bottom left (plus jumbo & pinhead/steel-cut)

porridge, with them (poor camera shot), was a bit too loose -

left 40g overnight in soak 200ml milk (plus a tablespoon of - acidic - buttermilk .. after reading about the phyates)
then cooked simmered for 15minutes
the grains were soft, but, it would be nice if it were thicker ?

49533222518_01928aeea6_z_d.jpg

https://www.includingcake.com/blog/easy-traditional-oat-groats ->
To serve, drain the oats* and either serve cold with non-dairy milk to your desired texture or warm on the stove or in a microwave for a couple of minutes with non-dairy milk plus a little vanilla or cinnamon. You can add a touch of sweetener if you like, then pile into a bowl with toppings of choice.
* Like other grains, the outside layers of raw oat groats contain phytic acid which may inhibit the absorption of some minerals. After soaking the water now contains the phytates that have been released through soaking, so it is best to drain and rinse the oats prior to serving.

49526092727_177fd30faf_c_d.jpg

Soldato
cracked groat porridge ... the key is just a long simmer/cook, after 50 minutes was pretty good/tender

pressure cooker would probably come into it's own, but overkill for breakfast, unless you batch cooked and reheated.

49748910541_413edab552_o_d.jpg

Soldato
I need a new oat supplier lol.

Bought loads from myprotein, the 5kg bag. But it's shot up in price recently, and now I can't even see it on their site. They have GF rolled oats, £12 for 2.5kg

@jpaul what were the normal rolled oats like? or jumbo?

I've been told steel cut ones are awesome too.

Soldato
I purchased from real foods, their jumbo was perhaps slightly smaller, but fine, versus buy whole foods online organic jumbo, I wasn't prepared to pay the latters prices
They inadvertently contaminated some of the oats with pepper taste, stored adjacent to it ?, so refunded some ...bulked out to get 'free' postage

Real Foods Pinhead Oatmeal 1kg £1.16 1
Real Foods Jumbo Oat Flakes 6kg £5.85 1
Real Foods Whole Oat Groats 1kg £1.70 1
Real Foods Short Grain Brown Rice Italy 1kg £2.60 2

Soldato
I need a new oat supplier lol.

Bought loads from myprotein, the 5kg bag. But it's shot up in price recently, and now I can't even see it on their site. They have GF rolled oats, £12 for 2.5kg

I've been told steel cut ones are awesome too.

Aldi's finest 1Kg for 75P for me. :D

Nice and creamy, cooked on the hob.

Soldato
GROAT PORRIDGE ANYONE FIGURED IT OUT ?

Most of the regular oat stockpile has gone, only the groats remain -

Have tried milk/hot water soak the night before, but they just take too much cooking/simmering ~1hr to make them al-dente,
maybe if I did a batch cook, and refrigerated/froze portions ...

Soldato
Amazon now seem to have an inhouse/shipped-by-them, so, no additional postage
jumbo-oats/groat/pinhead brand, which is beating all the other online stores for me, at ~£1.50/Kg ?
broke into the pinhead oats this morning - fine

I had found the buywholefoods organic oats tastes a bit better, than regular,
perhaps that's psychological, but, typical organic 50% premium is hard to justify.

51299895176_c082eb4150_c_d.jpg

Soldato
Porridge with some toasted coconut chips mixed in, is now my regular ... had bought some reduced chips on a whim from JS

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Half a cup of oats
One cup of soya milk

1min in the microwave
Stir
1 min the microwave

Frozen blueberries always and either or

Peanut butter (the one that comes in a paint tin is the current fave)
Nuttella
Honey

Poached egg if i can be bothered but it has to be perfect so it rare it works and only at weekends (i am crap at poaching eggs) Their is still a market for a perfect egg poaching machine (with AI fuzzy logic)

Soldato
i just put oats and milk in a saucepan and keep stirring, low and behold it makes porridge but i add honey so it is not so bland.

Soldato
Half a cup of oats
One cup of soya milk

1min in the microwave
Stir
1 min the microwave

Frozen blueberries always and either or

Peanut butter (the one that comes in a paint tin is the current fave)
Nuttella
Honey

Poached egg if i can be bothered but it has to be perfect so it rare it works and only at weekends (i am crap at poaching eggs) Their is still a market for a perfect egg poaching machine (with AI fuzzy logic)
Use water you will get better consistency, milk should never be used to make poridge.

Poached eggs are easy once you know how to control the water.

Get a deep saucepan and half fill with boiling water, on the lowest heat you can manage (not easy on elec stove) add a pinch of salt and table spoon of white wine, if it starts to boil turn off the heat, it needs to stay just under the boil point. Crack eggs into a small dish or cup (proper tea cup is good to start you off) poor the egg into the hot but still (no bubbles or movement) water as close to water surface as you can, cover with a tight lid and maintain even temp for a solid 3mins then check egg. If done pull the egg out using a strainer and sit on a cool sloped plate to drain off any excess water then serve.

Back
Top Bottom