How do you mouse?

Soldato
For as long as I can remember I have been a finger for each button, the left side looks crazy to me.

Index = Left
Middle = Middle
Ring = Right

I have been gaming/doing CAD like that since around 2000ish.

Associate
Normally:-
Left index - Left button & Right Button

Playing Games:-
Left index - Right button
Left Middle - Left Button

Curse the general lack of left handed mice!

Started like this way way back with windows 1 and it is kind of built into muscle memory now.

Soldato
Squatting while you blast your webbing everywhere? Same
Nah, that's just the Superhero Landing manoeuvre.
I'm talking about the Web Hand, where you curl up your second and third finger... although there is some blasting involved, if you do it right ;)

And right now everyone reading this is doing the Web Hand, as it suddenly dawns on them!!

Soldato
With a Logitech MX518 I am the usual right index on LMB(M1), ring finger on RMB(M2), middle finger rests on RMB as a helper until MMB(M3) is required then it alone shifts to that. Thumb hovers over large side button(M5) and left index finger awkwardly bends round to small side button(M4) when required. This results in the M4 button being mapped to the least used function in a game, like open map. Right little finger just gets to look with barely contained envy at the other more important fingers. All left hand fingers would not know what a mouse is.

Soldato
ZPOunZr.gif

Anybody who doesn't mouse like this is sick in the head.
*flame suit on*

• Wow
Reactions: mrk
Soldato
I've noticed that I change a lot based on what I'm doing. If I'm browsing the internet I'll usually go with 3 fingers so I can scroll easier but if I'm playing games then I go for 2 as it feels a bit more comfortable aim wise.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I think how light the mouse is also massively helps with the 3 finger method, moving the mouse around with just pinky and thumb is a lot more agile when the mouse is sub 50g, for example. I have the XM2we which is 63g and that is light compared to other mice, yet is still noticeably heavier to move than the Turtle Beach at 46g.

On the MX Master 3, that thing is 141g but because it's so massive, the entire palm and fingers end up moving that around regardless of how I grip.

Associate
What kind of mouser are you, index over LMB and wheel and middle finger over RMB or all 3 fingers covering each?

Recently adopted the 3 finger way and actually, it's working great on both XM2we and MX Master 3S I think, this also allows thumb and piny to grip each side of the mouse better too I'm finding!

ZPOunZr.gif
vs
aUGDBrg.gif
definitely the first one, though I can see the benefits of the 3 finger approach, but would find it harder to control the movement of the mouse

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
The latter would purely depend on two factors, how strong your grip is with pinky and thumb, and how your mouse is shaped and weighted. I have am MX Master 3S which is 140g measured, I would not find that doing the 3 finger method comfortable or feasible!

But the 43g and 69g gaming mice i have would be no problem at all as they are narrower, lighter and twist flick movements are super easy as a result.

Back
Top Bottom